OB1 Member 12 Member For: 23y 1m Location: Sydney Posted 02/09/03 03:17 AM Posted 02/09/03 03:17 AM Hi Lads,When my current lease (02 Futura) expires June next year, I plan to purchase a XR6T. My question – Should I buy manual or auto XR6T?Would I be right in saying, a manual is a must to get the best enjoyment from that boost of turbo power? If it was totally my choice I would buy the manual (although, when I think of Sydney traffic! :( ). Unfortunately my wife prefers an auto and argues (thank you Mr Ford dealer ) the SSS gear box should satisfy my need to control gear changes. I have test drove the XR6 Auto and kinda liked the sports shift, but hey, it was only a test drive! Secondly, any reliability problems with either gear box? cheersOB1
aniken I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it Legacy Donating Member 4,316 Member For: 23y 9m 12d Gender: Male Location: Sydney, south west Posted 02/09/03 03:24 AM Posted 02/09/03 03:24 AM OB1Nice nic :lol:. Member no 2001 eh? Just think, if you had joined up a few minutes earlier...Anyway, to the topic at hand, no you do not need the manual to get the full effect of the turbo. And if you want to play around, the SSS lets you do so - including generating wheel spin as you change gears .No reliability problems with my auto gearbox after 10,000 kms. Brakes on the other hand...
TURBO4LT Member 1,533 Member For: 23y 1m 14d Gender: Male Location: NSW Posted 02/09/03 03:30 AM Posted 02/09/03 03:30 AM Its really up to you , I have the manuall and even with all the negative press the manual has had , Im quite happy with mine
Adam Here since the start... Legacy Donating Member 10,282 Member For: 23y 5m 6d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 02/09/03 04:08 AM Posted 02/09/03 04:08 AM I have the auto and love it! From what I've read the bad press towards the manual isn't directed at it's strength or reliability it's directed at the shift quality, now before you guy jump down my throat saying that "there's nothing wrong with the quality of the manual" remember this, the guys who test these cars for the mags drive lots of different car with lots of different transmission some worth big $$$ some not. Their experience is far greater than most people so they have different ideas on what a good transmission feels like even if you and I can't see it. With all that said at the end of the day it's your car so get the transmission you want regardless of what you hear or read and then you will be happy. And if you aren't then you've only got yourself to blame. :lol:
Falchoon I see red Member 5,758 Member For: 23y 9m 16d Location: nowhere in particular Posted 02/09/03 05:24 AM Posted 02/09/03 05:24 AM There has been reports by some members of having crunchy manual boxes.
NT TURBO Member 1,128 Member For: 23y 6m 18d Gender: Male Location: Darwin NT Posted 02/09/03 05:35 AM Posted 02/09/03 05:35 AM Now have 19000k on my auto and its still perfect, but you'd have to have a good drive of both and make a decision from there before you commit to either IMO.
cvanxr Member 502 Member For: 23y 10m 21d Location: Country NSW Posted 02/09/03 06:43 AM Posted 02/09/03 06:43 AM Driven both and have an auto now. The manual was a bit difficult to shift in some gears. The biggest problem was the wife could not get the hang of the clutch and kept stalling it. Only had it a few months. The auto is great. I only use the ss gears sometimes, but hey that's me. Others love their manuals. Oh yer. G'day and welcome to a top forum. Hope you get all the info you need.
OB1 Member 12 Member For: 23y 1m Location: Sydney Posted 02/09/03 07:47 AM Author Posted 02/09/03 07:47 AM Thanks for your comments. Love the site, great work.
F6 RAPID Formerly Turbo6 Legacy Donating Member 2,332 Member For: 23y 8m 24d Location: North Brisbane Posted 02/09/03 09:35 AM Posted 02/09/03 09:35 AM If you plan on modifying it (ie more boost), do yourself a favour, do NOT buy the manual - mine is already making funny noises after a week. 230kws at the wheels will do it - proven.
BlueXR6Turbo The Best Member Legacy Donating Member 1,970 Member For: 23y 8m 23d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 02/09/03 02:02 PM Posted 02/09/03 02:02 PM I think a lot of the criticism of the manual gearbox is because when new it is very stiff on gear changes and can be quite hard for a couple of changes in particular. But as you run the car in, the gear box loosens up and the changes become quite easy. I too stalled my car a few times when I first got it, but not any more. (Was probably due mainly to it being the first manual I'd driven in 3 years.)My XR6T is a manual and currently has a little over 13,000km on the clock. I've had a problem with the driveshaft, but no problem at all with the gear box.IMO don't let the jounos scare you away from the manual. If you want a manual get one. If you don't, you will probably always wonder if you should have. On the other hand, if it's not all that important to you or if you want to please your wife, go for the auto.I personally chose the manual because I'm the type of person that would rarely use the Sports Shift. (I'm too lazy!) So by buying the manual, I have forced myself to change gears (and have more fun). :D I also like having a clutch.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now