Howsee Legacy Donating Member 785 Member For: 18y 11m 27d Gender: Male Location: Carindale, Brisbane Posted 15/06/09 10:20 AM Posted 15/06/09 10:20 AM I'm really hoping someone on here could help me out.I bought my 04 XR6T on May 1st, and was issued with a RoadWorthy Certificate on that date.Today when my car was in the smash repairers getting the front bar repainted, I was told that the car has no horn at all and probably no drivers airbag. The horn never worked since I got the car (Obviously) but the previous owner said he never had a problem with it and had probably disconnected (BULLsh*t!). As for the Airbag the only reason the guy noticed was when they were pressing on the horn to see if it was hidden they could feel the spot in the wheel where the airbag sits is hollow. MAJOR BUMMER!!!Now I have read through the requirements to pass a Roadworthy and obviously the car doesn't meet the requirement for the horn.What I am trying to find is if the airbag would be considered a failure on a roadworthy, and also what I should do from here. Obviously I will be calling the QLD Transport office first thing in the morning but what else can I really do? Is there any way to "make" the guy who issued the certificate pay up to have it rectified?Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.CheersJohn
tab Sucker Moderating Team 32,303 Member For: 22y 5m 8d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 15/06/09 10:28 AM Posted 15/06/09 10:28 AM Take it to the dodgy f*ck that issued it and suggest that he pays for all rectification at a workshop of your choice....otherwise you'll start squealing like a pig.Pretty sure he'd be quite understanding then!Sorry to here John. Would be nice to think you could actually trust people.
Ace blind leading the blind Member 3,657 Member For: 18y 23d Gender: Male Location: Mt Alford, Queensland Posted 15/06/09 10:30 AM Posted 15/06/09 10:30 AM yeah howsee what trent said - if the car is fitted from factory with an srs system it is not roadworthy without it - and it also poses another question - what was done to the vehicle to have no airbag in it???
FPV6T UNDERCOAT CRUISER!!! Legacy Donating Member 1,655 Member For: 17y 8m 16d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 15/06/09 10:32 AM Posted 15/06/09 10:32 AM (edited) John,as far as I'm aware is that if airbags are fitted to a vehicle they must be there in order to pass a rwc!(technically should fail rwc without them)best to call the trans dept to find what your options are.good luck mate.. Edited 15/06/09 10:33 AM by fpv6t
Howsee Legacy Donating Member 785 Member For: 18y 11m 27d Gender: Male Location: Carindale, Brisbane Posted 15/06/09 10:37 AM Author Posted 15/06/09 10:37 AM If I had to guess why it was removed would be for the Circuit Racing, which is what the car was built for. With that in mind I'll be talking to Simon from Nizpro tomorrow as well to see what he says.
Iconic Bionic My engine bay is Bionic Legacy Donating Member 3,726 Member For: 20y 6m 14d Gender: Male Location: Freeways Posted 15/06/09 10:43 AM Posted 15/06/09 10:43 AM If I had to guess why it was removed would be for the Circuit Racing, which is what the car was built for. With that in mind I'll be talking to Simon from Nizpro tomorrow as well to see what he says.Usally disconnected and not removed as the car has the dual purpose for track and road. Often cars missing cruical items such as airbags have turned out to be rebirtherd vehicles. Possibly written off from a previous crash and ilegally rebuilt from stolen parts. The missing airbag you would not notice as the airbag light is always removed so you cant tell.I.B.
Howsee Legacy Donating Member 785 Member For: 18y 11m 27d Gender: Male Location: Carindale, Brisbane Posted 15/06/09 10:52 AM Author Posted 15/06/09 10:52 AM Well when owner of the Smash repair joint, who is a family friend, noticed these things he checked over the entire vehicle and said that there was no evidence what so ever of any accidents. Also there were no marks to suggest the airbag had been deployed. So the only assumption left to be made is that it was removed at some point. I just don't understand why you would though. Also all the Airbag lights come on as per usual and no fault codes are registered.Go figure...
Rootster Just a large member member Legacy Donating Member 3,125 Member For: 17y 11m 17d Gender: Male Location: sydney Posted 15/06/09 10:57 AM Posted 15/06/09 10:57 AM but how do they check to see if it has an airbag in it.....If the light stays off don't think there is a test on them for your pink slip (that's what we call them in NSW)
stang Legacy Donating Member 1,353 Member For: 22y 8m 13d Location: Melbourne Posted 22/06/09 12:11 PM Posted 22/06/09 12:11 PM I have had my car since new, he might be incorrect about there being no airbag as mine feels like there isn`t much behind it.the only way to find out is to remove the horn cover if your in doubt or take it to somebody else to check it as your friend might be wrong.As for the horn I beleive that it is common with the BA`s that some do go faulty, mine was intermittent.
Howsee Legacy Donating Member 785 Member For: 18y 11m 27d Gender: Male Location: Carindale, Brisbane Posted 25/06/09 06:15 AM Author Posted 25/06/09 06:15 AM Well it turns out that there is an aribag fitted in the vehicle, the young bloke who looked over it had never done so before so got it wrong. It's all properly connected and my mate checked the codes, they all came back fine. However there is no horn assembly, the wiring is there just no horns. So I'll be organising for one to be fitted up next week at the previous owners expense.While it's there I'll be getting my mate to go over the car from top to bottom.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now