Error Code P1227 - Wategate Stuck Open

Rolo

• Member For: 14y 10m 9d

Hi all, I am new to this site and have been finding the reading interesting.

My car is an original BA Turbu Ute with only 44,000 Ks on the clock. It is registering an error code P1227 - wategate open. Has anyone else had this problem and any clues as to how it can be fixed?

The acuator (and just about anything else that controls the wastegate) has been replaced, the computer was replaced recently and the code cleared but comes back again. The turbo has been pulled out and does not appear damaged at all, there are no leaks in the intercooler or any of the pipes.

Trying to get any help by ringing around has been fruitless, nobody seems to have any ideas except "you have modified the car" - not true. The dealer had no idea and said they needed the car for about 2 days at my expense to "perhaps" find the cause.

If anyone else has had similar problems or knows of a solution, please help. At the moment my 1600cc Rally car leaves it for dead.

Thanks

Rolo

• Member For: 17y 1m 6d

It is either a mechanical problem or an electrical problem with the signal from the solenoid causing the wastegate to stay open. To diagnose which one it is, disconnect the boost line from between the turbo and the solenoid and use an air gun to put pressure into the line. This will activate the wastegate, if you cannot see and hear the swing valve opening then you have a mechanical problem with something causing the valve to stick open. Remove turbo and fix.

If the valve swings shut immediately when you remove the boost line that means that the solenoid is trapping boost in the line which causes the wastegate to stay open at all times.

• 1 month later...

Just letting everyone know this had nothing to do with the wastegate at all. The Inside of the exhaust impeller was worn (don't ask me how). If the outside of the impeller wears out you lose some boost, if the inside wears you get none at all. A new Turbo has fixed the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost trial and error, everything appeared to work, the turbo spun and after taking off everything from the intercooler to the exhaust tip and finding no leaks or obstructions, in desperation the turbo was sent away to be checked and measured. Nobody I contacted or that works on these has ever come across this before, hence a lot of time wasted chasing the fault.

Yes I could have reco'd the old one, but the cost and effort was just not worth my time after not having the car on the road for many weeks. Besides, I could never trust the old unit again as there is still no explanation as to how this can happen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 15y 4m 5d

I have this same problem with my ba xr6 turbo although mine boosts fine hopefully it isn't the turbo I was ust about to check out my waste gate solenoid is that the one that is mounted near the battery?)

• 7 years later...
  • Member For: 8y 21d

I got the exact same problem!! Had the car into the mechanic he replaced the boost solenoid and took out the turbo and wastegate for inspection which he said looked fine. He then did the air gun trick and the wastegate did what it was meant to. Still keep getting this code. Might try and send it away to be tested.