whatever Member 76 Member For: 23y 2m 22d Location: Brisbane Posted 06/08/03 05:20 AM Posted 06/08/03 05:20 AM it could be that there is a flat spot on the tyre due to the soft compound on the 18in and parking at the same spot for a long time such as at the holding yard. I had the same problem with racing tyres once but now I just jack up the car and let it sit on stands when in the shed.
RK2707 Member 59 Member For: 23y 5m 27d Location: The Shire....where else........ Posted 06/08/03 11:00 AM Author Posted 06/08/03 11:00 AM Thanks fellas I've had a chat with a fella who knows Dunlop tyres rather well and his response was "oh well you get that". Apparently it's an issue with Dunlop with the type of case construction and the type of rubber compound they use.I guess I'll wait and see what its like after it gets repaired.
camerooch Member 129 Member For: 23y 4m 11d Location: Melbourne Posted 07/08/03 01:03 AM Posted 07/08/03 01:03 AM Look at getting the wheel alignment checked.You will probably find the Castor adjustment is out of Spec.I have seen a few of these.
Zeke zeke Member 792 Member For: 23y 3m 12d Location: Adelaide Posted 07/08/03 03:18 AM Posted 07/08/03 03:18 AM Have had the same problem with every aussie made tyre I'e had in the past 25 years! Probably about 10 sets in the family! Mrs zeke's xt has Japanese-made Dunlops - no problems. My T has Aussie-made Dunlops - vibration problems.Solution: Change to a set of high quality Japanese or European tyres. Nothing else will work for long if you're fussy about wheel/tyre vibration.Also not a bad idea to get the wheel alignment checked (and the wheel balance if you're keeping though oem tyres) - neither of these are likely to be spot-on ex factory unfortunately.regardszeke
XRBloke Legacy Donating Member 1,219 Member For: 23y 3m 7d Posted 07/08/03 09:48 AM Posted 07/08/03 09:48 AM All I can say from my experience with the SP9000's on the AUIII XR6 is that they are absolute rubbish, and because of the problems I had with them I replaced them after 11 000 km's. Im in the processing of looking at purchasing a BA XR6 Sedan with the 18inch rims, and one thing ill be having done to it before I pick it up is that ill be trading the SP9000's in, and I will get some Falkens put on it! Currently I have Falkeen's on the car, and most people would say that they are cheap garbish, ever since I put them on Ive never had to get another wheel alignment, and it steers beautiful (Its now done 20 000 kms, but I had to get like 4 wheel allignments done in the first 10 000 with the SP9000's). The BA Futura with the 17 inch rims (Fairmont Ghia Optionals) has the Dunlop Lemanns on it, and they will be going very SOOOOON as they are just as bad as the SP9000's.
Macktheknife Xtreme Xalted Member Legacy Donating Member 3,112 Member For: 23y 4m 27d Gender: Male Location: BrisVegas Posted 07/08/03 09:40 PM Posted 07/08/03 09:40 PM Falkens.So long as you choose the right ones the're falken good tyres ta falken well put on ya falken falcon.
aniken I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it Legacy Donating Member 4,316 Member For: 23y 9m 13d Gender: Male Location: Sydney, south west Posted 07/08/03 10:18 PM Posted 07/08/03 10:18 PM Falkens.So long as you choose the right ones the're falken good tyres ta falken well put on ya falken falcon. Are you speaking from falken experience or talking through your falken ass?BTW, to keep this on topic, I have not had wheel vibrations although I do sometimes get tramlining when tyre pressure drops too low. I find the car very smooth on the road, and holds a straight line nicely
Guest Race Rubber Guests Posted 12/08/03 05:32 AM Posted 12/08/03 05:32 AM All I can say from my experience with the SP9000's on the AUIII XR6 is that they are absolute rubbish, and because of the problems I had with them I replaced them after 11 000 km's. Im in the processing of looking at purchasing a BA XR6 Sedan with the 18inch rims, and one thing ill be having done to it before I pick it up is that ill be trading the SP9000's in, and I will get some Falkens put on it! Currently I have Falkeen's on the car, and most people would say that they are cheap garbish, ever since I put them on Ive never had to get another wheel alignment, and it steers beautiful (Its now done 20 000 kms, but I had to get like 4 wheel allignments done in the first 10 000 with the SP9000's). The BA Futura with the 17 inch rims (Fairmont Ghia Optionals) has the Dunlop Lemanns on it, and they will be going very SOOOOON as they are just as bad as the SP9000's. Wheel alignment is in no way affected by the brand of tyre fitted to your vehicle I,m Afraid.
ktford FORD FORD FORD Legacy Donating Member 9,390 Member For: 23y 6m 16d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Point In Brissy's eastern side Posted 12/08/03 11:38 PM Posted 12/08/03 11:38 PM I don't think that these Dunlop tyres are all that they're cracked up to be. At least one member here has a tyre on his car that can't be balanced properly as it has a shifting steel belt. If you have a similar tyre on the front of your car it certainly would affect the cars driving/steering, maybe causing you to think you need a wheel alignment.Scotty
Ditto Member 10 Member For: 23y 2m 24d Location: Melbourne - South eastern Posted 13/08/03 02:25 AM Posted 13/08/03 02:25 AM I think the Dunlops are a very soft compound therefore prone to flat spots, Alignments and wheel balances won't fix it.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now