brett_xr6 Member 61 Member For: 18y 4m 18d Posted 23/09/08 12:01 PM Posted 23/09/08 12:01 PM Hi,I was just wondering where everyone has mounted their aftermarket sat nav? I have a Mio C520 and I currently have it suction capped to the centre of the windscreen. I am paranoid about leaving the cradle there when it is parked. I would ideally like to hardwire the device somewhere in my BF that is a little less obvious. I am trying to find the best way to make it look neat and tidy.Feel free to upload any images of your systems and their locations in your BA/BFs.ThanksBrett.
Superdan Well-Hard Bangin' Member Member 3,422 Member For: 19y 1m 15d Gender: Male Location: Perff, WA Posted 23/09/08 12:09 PM Posted 23/09/08 12:09 PM Brett, can you put a photo of the Mio up please? may have a solution, but need to see the unit and bracket.Dan
brett_xr6 Member 61 Member For: 18y 4m 18d Posted 23/09/08 12:45 PM Author Posted 23/09/08 12:45 PM Pics of the Mio C520. I was considering putting it over on the drivers side near the aircon vents. Ideally I don't want it on the windscreen at all. I can't mount it down low where the tissue box is because I have a manual, and I assume it would get in the way.Thanks Brett.
Superdan Well-Hard Bangin' Member Member 3,422 Member For: 19y 1m 15d Gender: Male Location: Perff, WA Posted 23/09/08 01:13 PM Posted 23/09/08 01:13 PM ok, not as easy as I thought buuuuutt, if you can somehow fashion a coupler to match it to a garmin mount, there's these two options... Dash Mount & Friction MountShort of that, you may be able to fasten the coupler part (where the horizontal angle adjuster screwy-thingy is) straight onto the plate where the tissue box holder is. may make it harder to remove if you want to remove it when you get out.
DesFlurane Member 351 Member For: 20y 5m 16d Gender: Male Posted 23/09/08 07:34 PM Posted 23/09/08 07:34 PM Clic On would be the best and also the most expensive solution.
StarDeala Member 29 Member For: 19y 5m Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 24/09/08 04:40 AM Posted 24/09/08 04:40 AM Brett,already having had a previous GPS unit stolen through leaving the suction cup holder "circle" mark on the windscreen (I always took the holder off the screen when not in car), I have located mine here...Like you, I drive manual, so the tissue box area wasn't an option, plus it was a little to low and you had to stretch to reach the unit..Located where it is, I can reach it easily, and with the text-to-speech option, it tells me street names, (ie in 100m turn right in Pitt st) so I don't need to look at it.Hope this helps, inspires.Phil
brett_xr6 Member 61 Member For: 18y 4m 18d Posted 26/09/08 02:22 AM Author Posted 26/09/08 02:22 AM that's quite good Phil. Not a bad idea at all. I am also starting to think about trying to mount it on the far right hand side of the car where the single air con duct is. I don't like the windscreen mount ones there because I hate the way it takes away too much viewing area. I think some guys have located computer monitors etc over the vent, so that it sits lower than the windscreen.Has anyone got an example they can show me of how they have mounted their monitors/gps there? I'm not sure how to get my cradel to sit there.Cheers for the help so far guys its been great.Brett.
lil grey bf Member 79 Member For: 18y 9m 13d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 26/09/08 12:06 PM Posted 26/09/08 12:06 PM I've been thinking for quite some time about the unused area above the icc, possibly mounting a hinge on the side closest the windscreen so it pops open and having the sat nav unit stuck to the back of it. I should really get off my ass and have a proper look and see if it can be done
brett_xr6 Member 61 Member For: 18y 4m 18d Posted 26/09/08 12:15 PM Author Posted 26/09/08 12:15 PM that's not a bad idea either. I have thought about that area as well, but I would say that it might be a bit too large if it were hinged and a big triangle wedge would probably get in your view. Still no reason not to look into it and see what can be done.
PepeLePew Uncle Bulgaria was gender challenged Member 208 Member For: 22y 5m 15d Gender: Male Location: Gawler Posted 29/09/08 03:08 AM Posted 29/09/08 03:08 AM Mine isnt hard mounted as it spends too much time going in and out of the car with rentals etc...I used good quality velcro to attach it well but removably in front of the tissue box area behind the gear lever. Hooked up a external antenna and leave it in the car virtually 24x7.Keeps it reasonably out of sight, and given I dont use it all the time acceptable for me.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now