antigravity Member 332 Member For: 20y 12d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD Posted 24/08/08 04:13 AM Posted 24/08/08 04:13 AM (edited) As per my sig, I've got a BA and I've got a weird little problem.Before and after my tune, I've noticed a weird sound under boost at highish RPM (say 4000rpm+)It basically sounds like this "ftftftftftftftftftft" sorta like some boost or something is leaking on and off and on really quickly. I've also noticed after 4000rpm I lose a lot of torque, and the power seems to die off until it shifts to the next gear under 4000rpm. Initially I thought it was an exhaust manifold leak, but I've tightened all those bolts like you wouldn't believe and its still there. All the hoses are tight, I can't see any splits in any of the hose joiners (ie at the turbo inlet) and its starting to drive me nuts.Its not my plugs, because I've got brand new .8mm plugs and the noise existed before I changed them. All my coils seem to be working at idle too...I'll try and record the noise, but its not overly loud so it might not be recordable as I'm driving.Does anyone have ANY idea? Its getting to the point where I'm stopping myself driving the car hard (which is the point of having these things!)CheersDave Edited 24/08/08 04:14 AM by antigravity
ETM Member 1,194 Member For: 19y 6m 16d Gender: Male Location: syd south Posted 24/08/08 04:31 AM Posted 24/08/08 04:31 AM Check the turbo- manifold join and also the rear housing-turbo core joints.Nuts and bolts commonly fall out in these areas
antigravity Member 332 Member For: 20y 12d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD Posted 24/08/08 05:47 AM Author Posted 24/08/08 05:47 AM What is the best way to get to these? From underneath?
antigravity Member 332 Member For: 20y 12d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD Posted 24/08/08 05:58 AM Author Posted 24/08/08 05:58 AM Here are some videos... Unfortunately you can't really hear it... Its almost like a spitting noise if someone was going 'tftftftftftftftftf' and spitting as there were making that noise. If that makes sense!(Click on the images... couldnt work out how to have the videos direct on the page)
ETM Member 1,194 Member For: 19y 6m 16d Gender: Male Location: syd south Posted 24/08/08 06:40 AM Posted 24/08/08 06:40 AM What is the best way to get to these? From underneath?take off all the heat shielding and get to it from the top
Iconic Bionic My engine bay is Bionic Legacy Donating Member 3,726 Member For: 20y 6m 10d Gender: Male Location: Freeways Posted 24/08/08 06:56 AM Posted 24/08/08 06:56 AM http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48951Good summary here of how to check and tighten all of the bolts in that area. I asked the question only yesterday after finding one of the manifold bolts really loose.I.B.
antigravity Member 332 Member For: 20y 12d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD Posted 24/08/08 07:01 AM Author Posted 24/08/08 07:01 AM Thanks for the link...I don't have a heatshield anyway... Ripped it off a long time ago. I'm trying to find some photo's on here on which bolts I need to tighten.I've tightened all the manifold/engine bolts. But not the bolts to turbo. Every time I've checked them, they've been ok.
senna_T Forged Member Legacy Donating Member 15,818 Member For: 19y 7m 22d Gender: Male Location: SW Sydney Posted 24/08/08 07:26 AM Posted 24/08/08 07:26 AM Check the bolts on the exhaust side of the turbo itself, they come loose pretty easy, plus the dump pipe bolts
Blacktigerlight Inactive Members 1 Member For: 12y 11m 27d Posted 02/10/13 11:24 AM Posted 02/10/13 11:24 AM Did you have any luck? I have exactly the same problem and it's driving me nuts. Originally thought it was manifold bolts but after being tightened it hasn't helped. Haven't been able to flog it in 6 months! Any help would be awesome.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now