straughsberry Legacy Donating Member 1,846 Member For: 19y 1m 22d Gender: Male Location: Broady, Melbourne Posted 07/09/08 03:35 PM Posted 07/09/08 03:35 PM It doesn't matter that much from where they start. It's how it ends that's more important. So apart from the obvious, paying for a "good" tune that is, I'd be looking at customer service and especially how you are treated in the longer term. You can not put a price on good customer service in my opinion.And on that note, again, a massive thumbs up for Mick at Pit Lane. I haven't seen such excellent customer service since, well, I cant remember...
typhoon_freak Cryptic Clothing Company Legacy Donating Member 4,556 Member For: 18y 2m 29d Gender: Male Location: Brisvages, Capalaba Posted 08/09/08 02:09 AM Posted 08/09/08 02:09 AM I did the generic tune 10psi mode on mine.. huge diff. my psi went up to 11-12 at 4500 - 5000rpm. but my afr where a little high making 13 range. decided to keep it at 8psi mode until I get the custom tune.
Guest Guests Posted 08/09/08 02:34 AM Posted 08/09/08 02:34 AM As said by Rapid, the safety margins are pretty hefty from factory so the 'generic' tunes put in by fomoco have lots of room for error. If the tunes were designed to be exactly the same on all cars they pump out, how do you explain the huge variation in power between stock as a rock cars on the dyno?? Mine came in around the 170rwkw mark when standard but others have shown 200+ on the same dyno whilst both completely stock.I've heard alot of complaining over the past few months about the price of custom tuning but we all drive $45k+ cars so what's the harm in spending $500 more to enhance the driving experience? There's too many tight arses out there!Ask yourself this... Would you work for less money each year because you become more familiar with your job or do you expect a payrise each year? These guys who provide tuning are offering a service that takes their time, not an off the shelf good that they just ring up the price on the till & take away profit from. The price of tunes is probably going to increase rather than decrease over time as does all goods & services, so to all you penny pinchers I say get in quick or you'll be complaining about $510 tunes in 6 or so months Just my 2 cents.
typhoon_freak Cryptic Clothing Company Legacy Donating Member 4,556 Member For: 18y 2m 29d Gender: Male Location: Brisvages, Capalaba Posted 08/09/08 02:42 AM Posted 08/09/08 02:42 AM yeah, I can where your comming from. just itd b nice to plug in the generic tune and it be fine until we cud afford a custom tune.
Guest Guests Posted 08/09/08 03:11 AM Posted 08/09/08 03:11 AM That's the whole idea behind the generic tune & in a perfect world they'd be fine on all cars, but as each car is different in terms of hardware the tunes are going to yield different results on each car. Some will/have produced good safe results whereas some have had disasterous results. Use a generic tune at your own risk & if all goes well, great, if you end up with a blown engine due to detonation then you'll be up for a lot more then $500 plus you'll have to get a custom tune done after the rebuild anyways or return to stock. Just outlay the cash to do it properly or run the risk of losing out big time when something goes bang
typhoon_freak Cryptic Clothing Company Legacy Donating Member 4,556 Member For: 18y 2m 29d Gender: Male Location: Brisvages, Capalaba Posted 08/09/08 03:18 AM Posted 08/09/08 03:18 AM oh yeah I agree there totaly, that's y I didnt risk it and took her to the dyno to make sure she was safe.. just a lil high on the afr, I ran the 8psi and she is within safe afrs so its on that for now..
pip_brendanAKAfrosty Member 108 Member For: 18y 1m 27d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 08/09/08 02:08 PM Posted 08/09/08 02:08 PM well that's awsome I thourght it cost like 800+ to get ya car tuned...
typhoon_freak Cryptic Clothing Company Legacy Donating Member 4,556 Member For: 18y 2m 29d Gender: Male Location: Brisvages, Capalaba Posted 08/09/08 10:37 PM Posted 08/09/08 10:37 PM oi pip, it costs like 1100 for a tuner and custom. since me and dane got ours already. we just go to the dyno place and its 150 an hour. should only b 2-3hours at most.
dane01 Member 80 Member For: 18y 1m 19d Gender: Male Location: bayside Queensland Posted 09/09/08 01:12 AM Posted 09/09/08 01:12 AM yer pip I went down to bps yesterday... dunno how long I will run my generic tune now... they think its $450 for custom tune... I am very tempted and would run a whole lot better...
typhoon_freak Cryptic Clothing Company Legacy Donating Member 4,556 Member For: 18y 2m 29d Gender: Male Location: Brisvages, Capalaba Posted 09/09/08 02:08 AM Posted 09/09/08 02:08 AM with out a doubt
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now