Strike_Lightning Strike_Lightning Legacy Donating Member 198 Member For: 20y 6m 18d Gender: Male Location: Warnbro WA Posted 15/08/08 09:20 AM Posted 15/08/08 09:20 AM So as far as I can figure out its not only the size of the inlet and outlet pipes of metal cats but the cpsi that must be considered.Cells Per Square Inch. The less cells per square inch the better.Its obvious that the cat should have the same or bigger inlet pipe than that of the dump pipe but its important that people dont get sucked in by some of the advertising out there that state that some cats are high flow when they are 600cpsi. So I sugest before you part with your money that you check the cpsi rating and in my opinion it needs to be somewhere near 200cpsi.Some cats out there are 3" but 600cpsi and are dearer than 3" 200cpsi so have a good look around.Thought I would share this piece of information after lots of searching and investigating before I bought one.Cheers all DG
Full Monty Member 513 Member For: 19y 3m 18d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 18/08/08 06:26 AM Posted 18/08/08 06:26 AM So which did you buy?
XF Falcon <put funny sh*t here> Member 3,365 Member For: 19y 11m 3d Gender: Male Location: Perth, NOR Posted 18/08/08 06:50 AM Posted 18/08/08 06:50 AM What about a standard cat with a punched out guts.. would that be considered as a 0cpsi cat? So which cat did you end up going with? Is it generally a case of the bigger the better (ignoring the cpsi of the cats).. eg is a 5" cat better than a 4" cat, and is a 4" cat better than a 3" cat...etc
Strike_Lightning Strike_Lightning Legacy Donating Member 198 Member For: 20y 6m 18d Gender: Male Location: Warnbro WA Posted 18/08/08 12:25 PM Author Posted 18/08/08 12:25 PM What about a standard cat with a punched out guts.. would that be considered as a 0cpsi cat? So which cat did you end up going with? Is it generally a case of the bigger the better (ignoring the cpsi of the cats).. eg is a 5" cat better than a 4" cat, and is a 4" cat better than a 3" cat...etcYou cant ignore the cpsi because its what controls the through put of the cat, not sure of the actual flow rates but everybody I have spoken to tells me that the lower the cpsi rating the more the flow, I dont see the point of having a 5'' cat on a 3'' or 4'' dump pipe, but yes I suppose a gutted cat would be 0cpsi so maximum flow.I went for the 3'' magnaflow from 'exhaustqueen' on e bay ( 200cpsi ) $190 plus postage.Cheers DG
IH8TOADS Legacy Donating Member 3,618 Member For: 21y 3m 3d Gender: Male Location: OZ Posted 19/08/08 05:19 AM Posted 19/08/08 05:19 AM Yes 200 cpsi is what you should aim for. I have a catco 5" bodied cat on a 3" dump pipe (I.e. it has 3" in and out and the 'guts' are 5") and it flows more than other cats with 200 cpsi obviously because of the body size. So in a nut shell you ideally want a 200 cpsi with the biggest body available. For the standard BA / BF dump pipe Catco is currently the superior option IMO.
XF Falcon <put funny sh*t here> Member 3,365 Member For: 19y 11m 3d Gender: Male Location: Perth, NOR Posted 19/08/08 05:28 AM Posted 19/08/08 05:28 AM whats the damage on a 5" catco cat roughly?would anyone advice against gutting the stock cat, appart from legal reasons or the exhaust smelling a bit?
CSV_LS1 Member 303 Member For: 22y 7m 9d Gender: Male Posted 19/08/08 05:49 AM Posted 19/08/08 05:49 AM You cant ignore the cpsi because its what controls the through put of the cat, not sure of the actual flow rates but everybody I have spoken to tells me that the lower the cpsi rating the more the flow, I dont see the point of having a 5'' cat on a 3'' or 4'' dump pipe, but yes I suppose a gutted cat would be 0cpsi so maximum flow.I went for the 3'' magnaflow from 'exhaustqueen' on e bay ( 200cpsi ) $190 plus postage.Cheers DGThe cat will be a restriction no matter what. By having a larger cat compared to the exhaust size, you are offsetting the restriction of the cat itself being in the way. that's what I think anyway.There's a 5" ballistic cat coming next month that will have 100cpsi.
IH8TOADS Legacy Donating Member 3,618 Member For: 21y 3m 3d Gender: Male Location: OZ Posted 25/08/08 06:58 AM Posted 25/08/08 06:58 AM whats the damage on a 5" catco cat roughly?would anyone advice against gutting the stock cat, appart from legal reasons or the exhaust smelling a bit?$385 delivered to Perth. I think you're best having the actuator and wastegate port mod if you intend on haveing a punched cat. Boost control reasons!
XF Falcon <put funny sh*t here> Member 3,365 Member For: 19y 11m 3d Gender: Male Location: Perth, NOR Posted 25/08/08 08:50 AM Posted 25/08/08 08:50 AM I've heard that some people don't end up doing the actuator and they are still able to maintain constant boost levels.If your chasing like 340-350rwkw on like 12psi or whatever (not sure how much is needed), with a full intake/intercooler/plenum kit, would the actuator/wastegate mod be required still you think?Is it something I could do at home, or best left to the tuning shop when the car goes in for its re-tune?
redghia Member 35 Member For: 18y 11m 17d Posted 25/08/08 09:46 AM Posted 25/08/08 09:46 AM What your is saying is true, It is what I have been telling people for years it really annoys me when people start telling me there X-Force cats are awesowe. IMHO they are crap and are 600cpi cats just with larger inlets Years ago wholesalers were selling "Highflow Cats" and all they had was a larger body and the core was exactly the sameIm swapping the X-Force cat on my mates F6 tomorrow for a 200 CPI mettalic core unit, I will post the dyno results once I have them
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now