Where To Get Hard Lid Locks

doogs8282

• Member For: 15y 9m 17d

Hi guys,

I bought my ute from a dealer across the other side of melbourne about a month ago, and have only just noticed that one of the hard cover locks has two seperate problems.

Number 1: The nut that holds the lock snug against the cover is missing, letting the who;e lock spin in the hole.

Number 2: The key will only go in 3/4 of the way into the lock on that same side, making it impossible to lock.

I think I will have a hard time proving it was like it when I bought it, and only just noticed it so I think trying to squeeze them to fix it would be pretty much pointless. So I'm looking at having to get another set of locks for the lid.

Are there generic locks to suit hard lids, or do I have to figure out the manufacturer of the lid?

Does anyone have any idea what the locks are worth?

It's a fibreglass job with the carpet underside, but there are no markings on it to give a clue as to who makes them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• The Cleaning Dudes Ute
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 11m 17d

Giday mate.

I wouldn't have a clue who makes the locks for hardlids.

I did notice that the locks that fit to my hardlid were identical to my old ride which was a 1969 MGB Roadster.

I've also been told they're the same again as some filing cabinets lol.

Goto a locksmith I'm sure they'll be able to help you out.

Jarrod.

P.S. Don't even bother with ford.

• Member For: 16y 12d

mate ive had nothing but trouble with mine, even had one snap off leaving the hole and no lock at all!! like said above, avoid ford, go to a locksmith and get decent ones instead. or, save up and get the ones that you can unlock with the push button...

BFYOOT, When you say get the one with the push button, do you mean the lidlok system, or another system? I was unsure about what to do with the holes once I got the remote locking if I went down that path.

Another thought I had was to get a set of brushed stainless vandal proof switches that fit directly in the holes, so that pushing either of them would pop the hardtop up a little via electric door strikers, but only if the car is unlocked. That way its easier to get your fingers under the lid to open. Still only an idea though...

Got a price from ford for a replacement lock kit, got quoted $110.00. They don't/ won't sell the nut seperate.

Might also try a locksmith.

Was hoping I could come to some arrangement with the dealership I got the car from, as I have reviewed photos from the day I picked it up, and they show the nut missing even from then.... See if they will come to the party. I don't know how far the 3 month stat warranty stretches, but I will try my luck.

• Cant wait to drive it
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 15d

mate im pretty sure that the lidlok ones you dont remove the old locks so there wont be any holes

with your lock problem you should be able to source a nut for it just check out a few hardware stores/bunnings lots of things use thin nuts like that

its worth a shot before spending 110 sheckles

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update on whats been happening with my dilemma.

Spoke to the dealership who I bought the ute from, and they were happy to send me out another hard lid lock set, which I received in the post today. Only problem is that they are too small in diameter compared to the locks I am taking out. The Holes in the hardlid are about 3/4 inch, and the new locks are about 5/8 inch, with the heads being 3/4 inch....the new locks fit entirely through the existing holes.

Does anyone have an aftermarket hardtop that runs this size lock? I need to figure out a manufacturer for my lid, so I can get the correct locks.

Thanks for all your assistance so far.

• 2 years later...
  • Member For: 13y 9m 15d

Giday mate.

I wouldn't have a clue who makes the locks for hardlids.

I did notice that the locks that fit to my hardlid were identical to my old ride which was a 1969 MGB Roadster.

I've also been told they're the same again as some filing cabinets lol.

Goto a locksmith I'm sure they'll be able to help you out.

Jarrod.

P.S. Don't even bother with ford.

its trev here mate from Flat Top, ive got all the gear gimma call sometime im in dandenong 0418232636

post-40863-0-86241100-1300084837_thumb.j

• Member For: 13y 9m 15d

Bit of an update on whats been happening with my dilemma.

Spoke to the dealership who I bought the ute from, and they were happy to send me out another hard lid lock set, which I received in the post today. Only problem is that they are too small in diameter compared to the locks I am taking out. The Holes in the hardlid are about 3/4 inch, and the new locks are about 5/8 inch, with the heads being 3/4 inch....the new locks fit entirely through the existing holes.

Does anyone have an aftermarket hardtop that runs this size lock? I need to figure out a manufacturer for my lid, so I can get the correct locks.

Thanks for all your assistance so far.

we run 19mm dia manual locks trev Flat Top also has an anti turning bracket that bolts underside to stop those little druggies trying to undo locks with a screwdriver trev Flat Top 0418232636