Xtv8 Vs Xr8

DavoXT

• DavoXT
  • Member For: 21y 3m 11d

If a XTV8 pumps out 220kw at 4750rpm and 470Nm at only 3250rpm.

With the XR8 pumps out 260kw at 5250rpm and 500Nm at 4250rpm.

What does the XR8 pump out at the max rev's of the XTV8 and if it was possible what would the XTV8 pump out at the XR8 max rev's.

Anyone ?

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 17d

Good Q ... the second part though is irrelevent as the 220 simply isn't set up to breathe at the higher revs of the 260 ...

The engines develop their torque (and power) in slightly different ways.

The 220 has variable valve timing which is why it can produce very favourably torque at lower revs and still sustain quite high revs albeit on a quickly declining torque curve. But the main reason it doesn't rev out is simply the intake configuration and lack of twin cams.

The 260 has better breathing and a more radical cam profile which is why it doesn't produce such impressive torque figures down low, but does rev and breathe much better at the higher end.

Up to 4500rpm there would be sweet fa between the two motors and if I was planning to modify either I would choose the 220 and whack on a supercharger - you then have the same torquey engine charactistics, and with it the high end power that the blower allows ... and all without using any more than 5000 rpm - I would expect 6psi from a blower at 5000rpm to probably yield over 300kw.

Food for thought eh?????

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 17d
Why would you bother when the CAPA kit at 8psi makes around 400kw.

That's on the Barra 220?

I hadn't heard of it - been a bit slack lately and not keeping up with updates on the capa site.

So my quesstimate of 300 plus kw is pretty right - I was referring to just an add on 6psi unit with no engine mods except fuel remapping. If CAPA are getting 400kw at 8psi there must be some other mods I would imagine.

• DavoXT
  • Member For: 21y 3m 11d

What iam trying to say is if you don't run around at 5000rpm all of the time is the XTV8 a better buy at around $10000 less then a XR8.

We no that the XR8 will have a better resale value but if you had to add that 10 grand on car payments over 5years is it ?

I have ran my manual XTV8 up agains ,my mate XR8 auto and under 4500rpm they sweet FA in it.