Strike_Lightning Strike_Lightning Legacy Donating Member 198 Member For: 20y 6m 5d Gender: Male Location: Warnbro WA Posted 24/07/08 08:40 AM Posted 24/07/08 08:40 AM G day again guys and gals, ive been sifting through this web site for a while now and ive noticed a lot of bad comments about the 5spd manual boxes in these great cars. however not a lot of actual instances of failures or breakages.I know that the standard clutches in these models are the weak links( or as one other forum member stated 'CRAP'). I am just about to upgrade the clutch before I start the rest of my upgrades.But back to the boxes. What is the problem with the 5spd's. I have been driving this car for a couple of years now and I have had no issues with it( gearbox that is),BUT shortly I will be upping the power to about 280-290rwkw which will put more strain on the box. so can I expect problems ?Are there any 5spd's out there with this kind of power (or more ) and if so have you had any problems with these boxes.I know that when I get this round of upgrades done it will only be a matter of time before I go to the next step(money permiting) and I have learned a great deal from reading the topics on this forum and from the few topics I have started so again the more info the better.cheers dg :rokon:
ratter Member 6,793 Member For: 20y 4m 1d Gender: Male Location: @ my laptop Posted 24/07/08 09:00 AM Posted 24/07/08 09:00 AM You will up your power, then a week later your clutch will be cactus, you will replace that, then a mont later your gearbox will die.You will be better off to start saving for a 6 speed and a decent clutch before you break it, that way you will be able to sell off the 5 speed and get some money back.Talk to Mal Woods for a complete package
Buf-Phoon loitering with intent Legacy Donating Member 13,318 Member For: 23y 1m 9d Gender: Male Location: Zombie Birdhouse Posted 24/07/08 09:02 AM Posted 24/07/08 09:02 AM your planned power level is at the upper end for the 5 speed. It really is a bit of a lottery from there.Treat it nice it may be ok, then again it could go at the first blast of the loud pedal
MUZ580 Member 448 Member For: 20y 5m 30d Gender: Male Location: Manly - Sydney Posted 24/07/08 09:07 AM Posted 24/07/08 09:07 AM I had 330rwkw with my T5 and a Extreme HD Organic clutch for ages and I never had a problem. Had it at the drags heaps of times and never once did it feel weak. Even blew CV's before the the box. Depends on your tune, how you drive and the clutch. Organic is the way to go, anything else and you will blow the box.
Strike_Lightning Strike_Lightning Legacy Donating Member 198 Member For: 20y 6m 5d Gender: Male Location: Warnbro WA Posted 24/07/08 09:25 AM Author Posted 24/07/08 09:25 AM Thanks guys, so what exactly is an organic clutch and what are other types of clutces and why are organic ones BETTER.cheers againdg
mic Legacy Donating Member 1,725 Member For: 18y 8m 10d Gender: Male Posted 24/07/08 10:05 AM Posted 24/07/08 10:05 AM Thanks guys, so what exactly is an organic clutch and what are other types of clutces and why are organic ones BETTER.cheers againdgElite paul ran 11.9 in his stock manual 5spd.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now