antigravity Member 332 Member For: 20y 18d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD Posted 03/07/08 09:38 AM Posted 03/07/08 09:38 AM (edited) Hey guys...My T makes a fluttering sound when under load... Not talking about the BOV flutter once the accelerator is released... but its fluttering while under load... sounds kinda similar to lifters, but not as loud...Could this be my turbo on the way out? Could a fin be stuffed? I know that a couple of bolts are missing on my manifold, but it still seems to be on tight, and I haven't tightened the turbo/dump pipe bolts in yonks, but it just doesn't sound like an exhaust leak. I could be wrong though.Please help.... If it is just lifters, how do I get these fixed? I've ran some lifter stuff through it, and ran some oil flush through it before my last oil change about 2000kms ago. So I dunno what it could be.Any help would be great. Edited 03/07/08 09:40 AM by antigravity
MiKa Legacy Donating Member 4,243 Member For: 20y 1m 15d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne, VIC Posted 03/07/08 09:48 AM Posted 03/07/08 09:48 AM Does it happen only when the cars cold?.. Not noticable when the cars hot?
antigravity Member 332 Member For: 20y 18d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD Posted 03/07/08 10:43 AM Author Posted 03/07/08 10:43 AM (edited) Does it happen only when the cars cold?.. Not noticable when the cars hot?Happens cold or hot. And pretty sure its intermittent. So sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. Happens more after I've just started it though...I have noticed that the little bar that goes from the manifold to the dump pipe has no bolt on the bottom part... so maybe that's knocking against the dump pipe when the block is vibrating? I dunno... Edited 03/07/08 10:44 AM by antigravity
our06t Mmmmm......BOOST Member 3,135 Member For: 19y 5m 8d Gender: Male Location: central coast Posted 03/07/08 10:47 AM Posted 03/07/08 10:47 AM lifter goo won't help ,these are overhead cam motors cam to rocker arm to valve ,no lifters
our06t Mmmmm......BOOST Member 3,135 Member For: 19y 5m 8d Gender: Male Location: central coast Posted 03/07/08 10:49 AM Posted 03/07/08 10:49 AM (edited) mine has no bolt there either was goin to look into that but have'nt had timegive some more info on the car stock ,edit how many km's done ,model Edited 03/07/08 10:54 AM by our06t
antigravity Member 332 Member For: 20y 18d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD Posted 03/07/08 11:04 AM Author Posted 03/07/08 11:04 AM (edited) mine has no bolt there either was goin to look into that but have'nt had timegive some more info on the car stock ,edit how many km's done ,modelIts a 2003 BA series 1. Stock, with about 140,000kms done. Had it for 2 years, and done 60,000kms in it (highway driving). Never really thrashed it, always driven it normally.All I've done to it so far is remove the centre muffler and unplug the BOV and put a monza filter on it. Edited 03/07/08 11:11 AM by antigravity
our06t Mmmmm......BOOST Member 3,135 Member For: 19y 5m 8d Gender: Male Location: central coast Posted 03/07/08 11:11 AM Posted 03/07/08 11:11 AM when did you do the plugs and check the coils lastis it a metal or rattle type noise or a boost cut noise
antigravity Member 332 Member For: 20y 18d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD Posted 03/07/08 11:13 AM Author Posted 03/07/08 11:13 AM when did you do the plugs and check the coils lastis it a metal or rattle type noise or a boost cut noiseI changed the plugs recently... Got Forester plugs coz they had no falcon ones in stock. But they were the same size, gap, thread and heat rating from memory...Never changed the coils.I think that at higher revs boost cuts out a bit too. Sort of on, off, on, off... Its not a rattling noise. Sounds like tappets/lifters but not as loud.
our06t Mmmmm......BOOST Member 3,135 Member For: 19y 5m 8d Gender: Male Location: central coast Posted 03/07/08 11:32 AM Posted 03/07/08 11:32 AM the sound your describing sounds like pingingwhats fuel like up there ,try a tank of premium and some octane booster ,see if that helps if it keeps up you may have a bad sensor in the car ,ie knock sensor etcalso get the coils checked
MiKa Legacy Donating Member 4,243 Member For: 20y 1m 15d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne, VIC Posted 03/07/08 11:34 AM Posted 03/07/08 11:34 AM Well I have sorta the same noise can only REALLY hear it when I just start the car.. Kind of a ticking sound and gets worse as revs rise.. but goes away when car is warm/hot..Was told it was loose manifold/turbo bolts, so I'll be gettin them checked out next service, the noise hasnt got anyworse, and no loss of power so it can wait heheh..Good luck....
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now