ashmo Member 245 Member For: 19y 1m 23d Gender: Male Location: Rockingham, W.A Posted 15/05/08 12:53 PM Posted 15/05/08 12:53 PM I cant wait to get into one now they sound unreal loaded up and is that the BOV I hear on the gear changes... or am I imaging things?
TornadoJudd Legacy Donating Member 818 Member For: 20y 7m 24d Posted 15/05/08 12:56 PM Posted 15/05/08 12:56 PM I cant wait to drive a manual. I sat in a N/A XR6 yesterday and I was very impressed with the driving position. Just waiting to test drive a T now
cooltint Member 686 Member For: 23y 5m 20d Gender: Male Location: Gold Coast QLD Posted 15/05/08 03:12 PM Posted 15/05/08 03:12 PM How to use "Launch Control".Select 1st gear, disengage DSC (it works like traction control and will shut you down otherwise) accelerate to a minimum of 3,500 revs (fuel is cut to 2 cylinders and spools up the turbo, it sounds like the V8 Supercars going down pitlane), release the clutch pedal slowly and full boost and all cylinders are reactivated and away you go.I tried this a couple of times during the drive day and all I got was wheel spin and the rev limiter coming up very fast so I wasn't all that impressed but it probably takes some getting used to. I still think a stalled up auto will be quicker but it's none the less impressive technology.Can't wait to see the motoring press comparison tests against it's closest competitors.Big AL
senna_T Forged Member Legacy Donating Member 15,818 Member For: 19y 8m 2d Gender: Male Location: SW Sydney Posted 15/05/08 11:35 PM Posted 15/05/08 11:35 PM I believe you have to leave DSC/TC engaged for the launch control to be quick
jetute Legacy Donating Member 4,553 Member For: 22y 8m 8d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 16/05/08 04:14 AM Posted 16/05/08 04:14 AM correct
FG-XR6T Member 177 Member For: 18y 6m 7d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 16/05/08 06:05 AM Posted 16/05/08 06:05 AM hey Pat,I recon if you have DSC off but have good clutch control and slip the clutch a bit it would be faster than letting all the driving aids help you. Driving aids will interfere to much I believe and actually slow you down because in theory the traction control will be disengaging power to the back wheelss.... Ive driven A VE SS and you can get a quicker launch out of them with traction off..... because its allows you to have more power on at the start... When traction contorl was on a lil bit of wheel spin caused it to kick in.....
senna_T Forged Member Legacy Donating Member 15,818 Member For: 19y 8m 2d Gender: Male Location: SW Sydney Posted 16/05/08 06:08 AM Posted 16/05/08 06:08 AM The Launch and T/C in the new car have been calibrated to work together, so it should be quicker. You still need clutch control to use the launch function to its maximum potential.The new Traction Control calibration in general allows a bit more wheelspin than the BF versions, so it is good in that sense.
FG-XR6T Member 177 Member For: 18y 6m 7d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 16/05/08 11:55 AM Posted 16/05/08 11:55 AM yeah that's sounds sweet mate. I remeber in the old VX SS's the traction control was sh*t house... It woud literally kick your foot off..... I guess this launch control is goin to be trial and error thing. I just hope people dont think you let the limiter come in at 3500rpm to build boost up and thenjust dump the clutch... otherwise ford service departments are going top be flat out and probably have alot of complaints sayin the launch control didnt work.... You agree?
cooltint Member 686 Member For: 23y 5m 20d Gender: Male Location: Gold Coast QLD Posted 16/05/08 01:47 PM Posted 16/05/08 01:47 PM I believe you have to leave DSC/TC engaged for the launch control to be quickYou could be right Pat, but on the drive day we were specifically told to turn it off as the traction control would cut in and retard your progress once it detected wheelspin. We were also told to release the clutch slowly or it would just fry the tyres.My earlier post is near enough word for word what we were told on the day by the driver training instructors, but maybe they have got it wrong. Unfortunately I didn't think to test it with the DSC on.Big AL
jetute Legacy Donating Member 4,553 Member For: 22y 8m 8d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 16/05/08 11:18 PM Posted 16/05/08 11:18 PM Steven Johnson, who done the demos, is an old friend of mine. He said that the Launch control is awesome.. After chatting to him, he said you need to ease the clutch a little but not ride it so to speak. Unless you have DSC on you can more dump the clutch and take out some of that skill required to launch the vehicle.He also said to the other V8 driver with the dark hair (dont know who he is) "have you tested the launch control yet? " its F**ken good, you can really feel the boost on take off" I was standing next to them when they had their chat.Big Al, We were never told what you guys got told about the launch control being faster with the DSC off. I think this will be confirmed soon when the new FGs start hitting the 1/4 mile. If that is the case, it will make it more driver oriented and a lot more interesting as its not just point and shoot. And I guess that's what its all about for manual drivers, the launch control feature will allow them to leave on boost to get that 60 foot down, whilst still requiring skill.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now