neo Member 376 Member For: 18y 6m 23d Gender: Male Location: The Ville Posted 10/03/08 10:50 PM Posted 10/03/08 10:50 PM just want to know if this is just me when the car is cold started. or been left for a bit turn the engine starts and sounds like the exhaust hits something. it started one morning like a dog was shaking I thought it was cold. as it was the second day I had it I got out the car it was not the engine it was under the car.I went to get an exhaust quote and put the car up to find. a dint in the muffler. I checked under the car and could not see any pipe hitting any of you guys got any idea what it is. BTW its a BA aug 05 XR6T 4 sp Auto. if that helps in any way.
senna_T Forged Member Legacy Donating Member 15,818 Member For: 19y 7m 26d Gender: Male Location: SW Sydney Posted 10/03/08 11:04 PM Posted 10/03/08 11:04 PM If the muffler is dented, maybe the baffles inside are damaged and making the noise? Also, a common problem is that the heatshielding around the exhaust and cat can come loose and get rattly
our06t Mmmmm......BOOST Member 3,135 Member For: 19y 5m 5d Gender: Male Location: central coast Posted 11/03/08 02:30 AM Posted 11/03/08 02:30 AM engine mounts ,if ones broken it might allow the exhust to touch something when the engine twist ,see if theres any marks underside of your bonnet where the motor has lifted
RHR BOOST Moderating Team 5,698 Member For: 23y 28d Gender: Male Location: Southern Highlands NSW Posted 11/03/08 03:57 AM Posted 11/03/08 03:57 AM (edited) Sounds like the heat shield Edited 11/03/08 03:58 AM by revheadrobbo
jcooke Member 272 Member For: 20y 3d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane, QLD Posted 11/03/08 04:58 AM Posted 11/03/08 04:58 AM Can be heat shield, however I had exact same issue, turned out one of the baffles inside the muffler had come un welded. If I hit the exhaust with my hand (obviously when its cold), I could head a rattle/twang noise. Used to drive me bonkers. I got the muffler fixed on northside at performance exhausts (great guys by the way) but any muffler shop could do it. Good luck.
neo Member 376 Member For: 18y 6m 23d Gender: Male Location: The Ville Posted 11/03/08 01:10 PM Author Posted 11/03/08 01:10 PM thanks guys
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now