Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 2m 17d
  • Location: Auckland NZ
Posted

Hi all,

This morning as I left for work I noticed the old gear symbol (P/R/N/D/etc) flashing at me and the box wasn't changing up or down.. appeared to be stuck in one gear in some sort of limp mode....

Stopped the car at the end of the road, turned it off for a few seconds. Turned back on and away she went, no further problem for the rest of the 60+k drive to work ...

Its an '06 BF XR6T with the ZF box. Just on 50k's and had its 45k service a few weeks back where they (Ford) serviced the auto.

Just took it back up to the dealer, they said that as long as its driving sweet and the problem went away when I restarted (reset) that I should just keep an eye on it. If it does it again to take it back. Hmmmm... :tonguepoke:

Any ideas / recommendations?

  • Dr. Speed
  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 2m 3d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: The land of Politicians, Public Servants, Porno & Pyrotechnics
Posted

Sounds like limp mode. It should only go in there for a reason but. If it went in for no reason I would keep an eye on it and take it back if it does it again.

  • Forged Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 7m 27d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: SW Sydney
Posted
:tonguepoke: if it does it again there is an issue somewhere, and it needs attention, possible oil level issue?
  • My engine bay is Bionic
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 6m 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Freeways
Posted

Why did the auto transmission get serviced so early on its life?

  • BOOST
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 23y 29d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Southern Highlands NSW
Posted

Its not really that early .. Its not a bad thing to do either. I did my t56 around thr 40 mark and when I did the clutch I did it again. If I were you IB id get it serviced to keep it in top nic

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 3d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

Agree re servicing the tranny. Ford don't have it as part of their servicing schedules as it's not deemed mandatory (and more to the point, fleets don't want to have to pay more). I think every 50K is a good idea.

As for limp mode, could be anything. Mine has done it once in 113K (oxygen sensor reported a fault) and never did it again. Wouldn't bother too much about it unless it keeps happening.

  • My engine bay is Bionic
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 6m 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Freeways
Posted
Its not really that early .. Its not a bad thing to do either. I did my t56 around thr 40 mark and when I did the clutch I did it again. If I were you IB id get it serviced to keep it in top nic

Im only on 24k and its not the old T56 so I think I'll be right for a while. If I get to 50K at this rate I'll be up for an FG F6 MkII.

  • 2 months later...
  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 6m 28d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted (edited)

I'm interested in this topic... I went up to a 15psi tune, running 42lbs injectors, 3.5" Exhaust from turbo back, cold air, blow off etc. The same day I went to 15psi 5 of my flex plate bolts fell out, so I didn't get to try it, it's back and every time I drive it now, I nail it, it kicks back a few gears, smokes the tyres, shifts and the auto goes straight into limp mode - pull up, turn the key off, restart and we are away. I mean everytime I do this... Obviously not everyone has this issue, and I doubt mine is putting out anymore than most people here - so what is the go? It's a BF XR6T Ute. Any idea's?

Jim

Edited by blackbfute
  • Dr. Speed
  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 2m 3d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: The land of Politicians, Public Servants, Porno & Pyrotechnics
Posted (edited)

Yeah, sounds like its going into limp mode because it's overboosting.

Are you running a generic 15psi tune???

Or did you put the exhaust on after the tune?

Edited by exarsixturbo
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 7m 27d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: The Shire Sydney AUS
Posted

Blackbfute, Its the torque tag settings in your tune, this was common for the ZF equipped Turbos up until last year, but most tuners have gotten around it now.

Your tuner should be able to fix this if not change your tuner.

Pete

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...