Which Clutch?

6speedXR8

• Mal Wood Automotive
  • Member For: 21y 1m
Does your option 5 and 6 twin plate clutch rattle? I have not heard of one aftermarket twin plate clutch (AP racing is not aftermarket) that doesn't rattle when the pedal is pushed in.

The option 5 doesn't rattle, if you have a close look at it not only has it got 3 drive lugs but it also has strap drive on the intermeadiate plate.

It is the largest twin plate designed and built in Australia @ 10.5'' diameter, the Flywheel, inter plate and the base plate is made from 4340 grade Nickel Chrome moly Steel billets and the plates are solid centre bonded riveted organic facings which give smooth operation and great holding capability through design. This clutch is rated @ 550 rwkw and I have one holding 600rwkw. Mal

Edited by 6speedXR8
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 14d

Hey peeps. I drive my car like I'm bein chased in Jarasic Park :outahere: , the standard clutch is a joke :sharon: . I have 265rw/kW and will be takin it up to 340rw/kW+ in the near future :buttrock: . Just wondering which option would be the pick for me, and how much? :ninja:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mal Wood Automotive

The option 3 11'' will do the job fine, the cost for the New 11'' Billet Steel Flywheel and 11'' HP clutch kit5 with an Alloy CSC will be $1480 for Forum Members. Mal

• Member For: 17y 9m 29d

g'day, currently got a warranty rebuilt T5 with exedy clutch. utes modded an ready for a tune but I don't wanna twist the guts outa the poor old T5. rather sell it complete and put the t56 in. well that's the plan.

I know it depends on driving style use and all the rest but what sort of power would you run safely through an option 2? would it be ok for around the 280 to 300 rwk mark? or are you better off going straight to the op 3? reason I ask is price difference.

• Mal Wood Automotive

The ACE option 2 will hold that power but the T5 will not hold long term, you would be better off to consider an upgrade to T56 @ $4550 for the complete kit and the ACE option 3 11'' clutch @ $1310.

Mal Wood

• 5 months later...
  • Member For: 16y 2m 18d

'hi I have a 98 el xr6 turbo with a tremec tko 5spd and single plate exedy clutch. Mated to a au xr6 motor. Running car on low boost and clutch slipping on dyno. started slipping about 3500 rpm and had around 700lb of torque and 468 rwhp. Do you have a twin plate clutch which would suit this application. Also how do you think the gearbox will handle another hundred horsies ?

• 3 months later...
  • Mal Wood Automotive
The whole clutch issue continues to come up from time to time and everybody has a story of a clutch gone wrong! am I correct?

The choice of clutch will always depend on usage and power level, I got ridicualled ( I hope I spelt that right) on another Forum when I suggested that our Option 3 would be fine in another model with 300 rwkw and the sh1t kept flowing from some uninformed one eyed so and so's.

I have been in the Automotive industry for over 30 years and have seen remarkable improvements in products and design in all facets of this industry and I still find it difficult sometimes to suggest a clutch to a customer over the phone that will suit his driving style. So I rely on my experiance and judgement to choose a clutch that WILL do the job and LAST!

It is strange though that the same bloke that brags that he has fried 4 sets of rears is the same bloke that will complain when a clutch doesn't last as long as he expected!! so go figure that one!!

I continually hear drivers say that they stall their car up on the line and delibarately slip the clutch off the line to get a better launch, then they wonder why the clutch burns out! Slipping of a clutch creates lots of friction and fricton is heat so of coarse the clutch will fail in the long term with repeated slipping.

When the XR6T was first released with the 5 speed we started our development and it still goes on, we are constantly developing our range and have for some time had our New Clutch company up and going well so please check it out on www.aceclutch.com.au

We have 6 clutch options for most makes and I am confident that no other manufacturer has the range that we offer, from the option 1 and 2 ( H/P upgrade for the stanard unit) to the option 3 and 4 ( the FIRST and ONLY 11'' clutch for the XR6T), the option 5 (the biggest H/P organic twin at 10'5'' diameter that will easily hold 600 rwkw) and the option 6 (now available at long last with sprung hub plates for Street use)

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with Extreme, Exedy, Clutch Industries as these suppliers offer a range of clutch kits to suit, it all comes down to what people want and that is product choice. I will not stoop so low as to resort to bagging another suppliers product on this forum as happens on some other forums.

I have attached 3 photos, the unique 11'' option 3 which will hold well over 300 rwkw and will take constant launches. The unique option 5 -- 10.5'' solid centre twin plate, I have a customer in Sydney with a blown VS ute running 601 rwkw with one of these. And the unique Twin Plate option 6 (now with a choice of solid centre or sprung hub clutch plates) for serious Road/Race use.

Another clutch has been added to our range, the New ACE Option 3 Plus, this clutch features an 11'' pressure plate fitted with a Billet Steel base plate and increased clamp, the clutch plate retains our insulated sprung hub with premium burst proof facings.

I have one fitted to a customers Tornado ute with 415 rwkw and it takes a heap of punishment, the pedal feel is a little greater that the ACE option 3 and as you can see from the attached photo I have retained organic facings.

The holding capability of this clutch is quite amazing considering that it still uses organic facings, this clutch also delivers very smooth clutch operation with no shudder.

post-736-1239337471_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 7m 7d

hi mal,

just got my car tuned to 273rwkw, and the clutch has started playing up when loading it up in lower gears.. I knew it would happen, and its not really bad atm, but will gradually get worse.

Just wondering the cost of this new ACE Clutch plus for just the unit? I have an alloy CSC already, and can get it all installed down here in Vic.. I still have standard hoses from the clutch master cylinder. Will this be ok?

Thanks mate,

Christiaan