sly_ba Member 12 Member For: 19y 26d Posted 02/01/08 04:39 AM Posted 02/01/08 04:39 AM Hi all,I have been floating around these forums for a bit now and have read alot about being able to purchase BF F6 short motors for around $2,500 (I have even heard as low as under $2,000 in some cases). I want to build a stronger motor for my BA Mk 1 turbo. Where are people purchasing these F6 short motors for under $2,500?? Every time I ring up and try to get a price on one I get told it will set me back at least $3,500. Any help on where I can pick one up for around $2,000 - $2,500 would be much appriciated.Thanks
Guest Guests Posted 02/01/08 08:21 AM Posted 02/01/08 08:21 AM $2,ooo sounds a bit cheap, maight be that if you have a staff discount.
bloosted Cruise Control 1,383 Member For: 20y 9m 23d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 02/01/08 08:54 AM Posted 02/01/08 08:54 AM typhoon short from ford is $2200-$2500 with the right dealer you could haggle as their cost is 1700
sly_ba Member 12 Member For: 19y 26d Posted 02/01/08 10:48 AM Author Posted 02/01/08 10:48 AM Thanks for that, I guess I will have to keep hunting around. I still have not been quoted any less than $3,500 yet though.......
Tree Monkey Member 685 Member For: 18y 9m 20d Gender: Male Location: brisvagas / Manly Posted 03/01/08 02:14 AM Posted 03/01/08 02:14 AM Thanks for that, I guess I will have to keep hunting around. I still have not been quoted any less than $3,500 yet though.......why bother with the f6 motor. You can pick up lo k's na motors for around $750. Change the valve springs and (if needed) the cams as a package for under $1500. New rods and pistons for around $2000 and you have a better motor than the f6. Total around $4500
senna_T Forged Member Legacy Donating Member 15,818 Member For: 19y 7m 22d Gender: Male Location: SW Sydney Posted 03/01/08 02:18 AM Posted 03/01/08 02:18 AM if you want to go over 400rwkw then Tree Monkeys idea is ok, but if you are happy with high 200's to mid 300 plus, the F6 motor is perfect, and will only cost you 3grand max...
TOM1111 Member 631 Member For: 19y 2m 1d Gender: Male Location: newcastle Posted 03/01/08 04:57 AM Posted 03/01/08 04:57 AM cant you just buy typhoon conrods???? and then heavy duty valve springs??why buy a whole short motor if there the only different parts
sly_ba Member 12 Member For: 19y 26d Posted 03/01/08 05:06 AM Author Posted 03/01/08 05:06 AM why bother with the f6 motor. You can pick up lo k's na motors for around $750. Change the valve springs and (if needed) the cams as a package for under $1500. New rods and pistons for around $2000 and you have a better motor than the f6. Total around $4500You do make a good point and I have already thought about this option. The thing is that I am not chasing the sort of power to justify building a motor with forged internals. The main reason for this is because I dont want to have to spend a fortune on rebuilding the BTR 4 speed every second week.
straughsberry Legacy Donating Member 1,846 Member For: 19y 1m 11d Gender: Male Location: Broady, Melbourne Posted 03/01/08 06:50 AM Posted 03/01/08 06:50 AM Thanks for that, I guess I will have to keep hunting around. I still have not been quoted any less than $3,500 yet though....... I got mine for $2250 delivered and should be able to get that price again - let me know and I'll make a call. You'll also need top and bottom gasket kits. I think from memory they're about $800 for both. Then there's labour to rebuild which should be around $1200. Definitely do valve springs and possibly billet oil pump gears which will allow you to make power a little higher in the rev range because you can raise the rev limit a tad in the edit.
Tree Monkey Member 685 Member For: 18y 9m 20d Gender: Male Location: brisvagas / Manly Posted 03/01/08 07:03 AM Posted 03/01/08 07:03 AM You do make a good point and I have already thought about this option. The thing is that I am not chasing the sort of power to justify building a motor with forged internals. The main reason for this is because I dont want to have to spend a fortune on rebuilding the BTR 4 speed every second week.dont use forged internals, just the same rods and better pistons it will be cheeper still.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now