Rear Main Diff Bush Replacement Cost - Through Ford?

Full Monty

• Member For: 16y 10m 6d

Hi guys, Ive got the dreaded diff clunk, progressively getting worse over the past month.

Mainly if going from reverse to 1st, or taking off briskly.

The previous owner had the diff replaced in the last 6 months, but it seems ford overlooked the cracked and perished diff bush when swapping the diffs over, now it all has to come out again! to be replaced!!!

anyone who has had this job done, can you give me an estimate of what it cost you? I know its a pretty big job, as the whole rear assembly must be removed to get to it.

I am going to look into the aftermarked Fulcrum Neoprean bushes as I dont want to be doing this again in another 50,000ks. Anyone who has fitted this, do you recall the part number and price?

Is it a job any competent mechanic could do, or is it best be done with ford?

Cheers guys.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 10m 7d

I supplied the bush and ford did it for $550 I think (was a while ago) with a new bolt.

will check when I get home tonite for ya.

apparently the mk2 had a redesigned solid bush which fixes the problem, and that's the one I used.

• Member For: 20y 8m 12d

Did mine about 3months ago, replaced the standard bush with the Fulcrum one. Getting the old one out was a bugger the new one went in easy. The fulcrum one doesn't have a metal outer shell is runs inside the sleeve, part no.SPF2654K price I think was about $80.

Thanks, your a legend!...I just rang a fulcrum stockist here in melb and they didnt know of that part, now I can ring back armed with some info!...

did the diff bush from fulcrum come as a set of 3 to do the rear main and the front 2 bushes?

and did it make any noticable difference to the drivelink clunks?...I.e was the worn bush the problem.

Did mine about 3months ago, replaced the standard bush with the Fulcrum one. Getting the old one out was a bugger the new one went in easy. The fulcrum one doesn't have a metal outer shell is runs inside the sleeve, part no.SPF2654K price I think was about $80.

Thanks xr06T..

getting it done friday...ontop of the rediculous $526 quoted for a normal 90k service, which when I enquired what was involved, the answer was, air filter, fuel filter, oil change and torquing up inlet and exhaust bolts...No trans flush / filter, no diff fluid change...

I'll be shopping around I think.

replacing the bush DEFINATLY reduced my driveline clunk.

• Member For: 20y 8m 12d
Thanks, your a legend!...I just rang a fulcrum stockist here in melb and they didnt know of that part, now I can ring back armed with some info!...

did the diff bush from fulcrum come as a set of 3 to do the rear main and the front 2 bushes?

and did it make any noticable difference to the drivelink clunks?...I.e was the worn bush the problem.

Its made it feel more positive with less take up, the only downfall is that it does transmit a little more vibration/noise. The part no I gave you is what they called a " Rear Diff Support Bush Kit" it has the bush and a satchell of assembly lube. Just checked invoice cost was $77.50 took me about 4hours to fit and its a pretty blue colour.

• Member For: 17y 11m 5d
Its made it feel more positive with less take up, the only downfall is that it does transmit a little more vibration/noise. The part no I gave you is what they called a " Rear Diff Support Bush Kit" it has the bush and a satchell of assembly lube. Just checked invoice cost was $77.50 took me about 4hours to fit and its a pretty blue colour.

BE VERY,VERY CAREFUL HERE!!!!!! I had a bit of a chat to a mate of mine that owns a Pedders franchise. I asked him about replacing some of the diff mounts with Nolathane ones. He STRONGLY advised me not to touch anything AT ALL..... A pedders Rep replaced all the bushes in his falcon and had vibration problems. Apparently the balancing of the driveline was affected when replacing the bushes.. They tried everything known to man to fix the prob... But to no avail... He ended up trading it.... So BEWARE ALL.... Hope this helps.... Cheers Brad

Cheers, it seems I will be going the Ford revised bush, as fulcrum are out of stock of the neoprean bush...could be weeks or months before they remanufacture them.

is it worth replacing the bolt with a high tensile bolt, and using some loctite?

BE VERY,VERY CAREFUL HERE!!!!!! I had a bit of a chat to a mate of mine that owns a Pedders franchise. I asked him about replacing some of the diff mounts with Nolathane ones. He STRONGLY advised me not to touch anything AT ALL..... A pedders Rep replaced all the bushes in his falcon and had vibration problems. Apparently the balancing of the driveline was affected when replacing the bushes.. They tried everything known to man to fix the prob... But to no avail... He ended up trading it.... So BEWARE ALL.... Hope this helps.... Cheers Brad

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 10m 7d

I just used the standard bolt, but I was in a rush to get it done as the car was pretty much undriveable. again if I was to do it again I would get a better bolt.

not too sure in the loctite, cant see why it would be a bad idea though.