Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 4m 11d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kellyville, Sydney
Posted

Nice work bazza :)

looked at the ato link you posted under point 3.1 it relates to commercial vehicles

so let me get this straight, am I correct in saying that travel between home and work is included in determining business use.

eg if I travel daily 30k's to work and 30 k's home again (60 totall) and do 30 k's whilst driving between jobs during the day all of this is business use and not private.

or is it 60 k's private and 30 k's business

  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 11d
  • Location: Canberra
Posted

junior,

Now we are getting down to the nitty gritty stuff where I need to know some personal info!!

Feel free to PM me with a daytime contact number and I will give you a call and discuss the finer points of the issue.

I must add that everybody should consult an independant Financial Adviser before entering into these types of deals, In my case I didn't really have much choice but it might not be the same for others.

Cheers, Bazza.

Guest NCF
  • Guests
Posted

Whats FBT? ( Federal Bullsh*t Tax! )

  • Flower Power
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 24d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

Fringe Benefit Tax.

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 9d
Posted

Thanks the MalooR8 for all this info (on ls1).

Certain cars (such as some Utilities) are FBT Exempt where:

a liability for FBT will not arise where the private use of certain vehicles by employees during a particular year of tax is limited to certain work-related travel. Work-related travel is defined in sub-section 136(1) of the Act to be travel between the employee's residence and place of employment or other place at which employment duties are performed and any travel that is incidental to travel in the course of performing duties of employment.

Taken from here:

http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?basi...4/NAT/ATO/00001

the FBT Exempt vehicles are listed here:

http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?basi...A/NAT/ATO/00001

It s a bit out of date, but you get the idea.

The only question is, can Joe Bloggs office worker - with a Novated lease - take advantage of this rule when salary packagin such a vehicle (which they drive to and from work).

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 11d
  • Location: Canberra
Posted
The only question is, can Joe Bloggs office worker - with a Novated lease - take advantage of this rule when salary packagin such a vehicle (which they drive to and from work).

Yes. :thumbsup:

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 9d
Posted

problem is, my Salary packaging people refuse to believe it.

I wonder what can be done to convince them.

I have written to the ATO - awaiting response.

I hope that is enough clout, any ideas otherwise?

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 4m 11d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kellyville, Sydney
Posted

Well thanks to bazza and his fbt advise I ordered my Turbo ute this week and look forward to paying no fbt :)

I am planing on financing it on a novated lease does anyone know if I need to insure/rego it as business use or private.

Cant wait till the 30th JULY :D :o

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 9d
Posted

I have a answer pending from the ATO on this (FBT exemption).

The tax office called me last week to ask a few questions about it.

Apparently I will get an answer in writing soon.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...