JimmyXR6T04 Member 1,299 Member For: 21y 3m 10d Location: Canberra Posted 23/07/07 04:23 AM Posted 23/07/07 04:23 AM Hey guys,I'm considering a lease type option on my next car, as I've heard it can save a few bucks in tax, and various other good pointers... what I was wondering though, how much do you guys pay per month, and what was the purchase price of the car?I'll be buying either another XR6T, VE SS, or GT, depending on price and deals. Hopefully I'll get away with spending between 40-55k. Also, does the monthly cost include fuel, tyres, services, rego and insurance etc?? I'm basically trying to do the sums and see if it really will benefit me or not. At the moment, I pay $1050 per month (not lease) but that was because I added extra to the loan when I got the car.. so the total loan was a tad over 50k... based on that, if the lease cost is around $1000 per month and includes all of what I mentioned above, I think it may be a good option.What do you guys think? and for those that lease, does it work for you?Cheers guys,Jimmy.
TUFXRT6 Legacy Donating Member 687 Member For: 20y 6m 10d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 23/07/07 04:58 AM Posted 23/07/07 04:58 AM Yeap info on this option would be great
Dagabond Bored Member Administrator 35,722 Member For: 23y 10m 16d Gender: Male Location: Dé·jà vu Posted 23/07/07 05:10 AM Posted 23/07/07 05:10 AM $197 a week, over 3 years, 30% residual, only the car.Do a search guys theres plenty of threads on noveated in ere.
Flukey Seriously Flukey Member Legacy Donating Member 4,354 Member For: 22y 6m 9d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 23/07/07 05:22 AM Posted 23/07/07 05:22 AM I pay about $800 a month ( car only - add ful etc )4 year, 40% residual.Purchase price was $46K
TUFXRT6 Legacy Donating Member 687 Member For: 20y 6m 10d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 23/07/07 05:46 AM Posted 23/07/07 05:46 AM I am just finding out about the lease services so my questions might be a little basic.Am I right in saying the follow:You can pay some where around $900 per month which will cover1) car cost2) rego3) in some cases fuelIn regards to the residualAm I right in saying the follow:Some where around 35% risidual.My questions:-Does the monthly costs also cover insurance & servicing??-in regards to residual does this mean the car needs to be worth 35% of purchase price otherwise you will need to makeup the difference??-I cant see where the tax benefits fit in???Thanks for the replies in advance.
Flukey Seriously Flukey Member Legacy Donating Member 4,354 Member For: 22y 6m 9d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 23/07/07 06:29 AM Posted 23/07/07 06:29 AM Tax benefits Daniel will vary depending on your work and what your car is used for.I have a sales role, meaning I use my car to get to clients etc. I claim a percentage of all my car costs because I use my car for work.That said, if you have buy a car and you only use it for personal use, leasing the car will have zero tax benefits.Residual is the amount owing at the expiration of the lease period.eg: You buy a $45K car on a 3 year, 35% lease, at the end the payout figure will be $15,750.
Ralph Wiggum Moar Powar Babeh Legacy Donating Member 19,334 Member For: 21y 7d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 23/07/07 06:36 AM Posted 23/07/07 06:36 AM (edited) Tax benefits Daniel will vary depending on your work and what your car is used for.I have a sales role, meaning I use my car to get to clients etc. I claim a percentage of all my car costs because I use my car for work.That said, if you have buy a car and you only use it for personal use, leasing the car will have zero tax benefits.Residual is the amount owing at the expiration of the lease period.eg: You buy a $45K car on a 3 year, 35% lease, at the end the payout figure will be $15,750.Not entirly true re the zero tax benefit. A novated lease's payments are taken from you GROSS income thusly reducing your taxable income by the amount of the lease payment each month. This is a good way to benefit from the lease system if you income is high enough to warant the tax relief.Most companies will do novated leasing but im pretty sure you can only obtain a novated lease on a salarised contract. You can transfer the lease between employers too. Edited 23/07/07 06:38 AM by hiddeous
JimmyXR6T04 Member 1,299 Member For: 21y 3m 10d Location: Canberra Posted 23/07/07 08:01 AM Author Posted 23/07/07 08:01 AM thanks guys,I really don't think a lease will have much advantage for me.. and I'm not sure I like the sound of a residual at the end.. at least if I borrow, when it's paid off the money left will actually come off the price of the new car. I completely forgot about the whole residual side of things..
Ralph Wiggum Moar Powar Babeh Legacy Donating Member 19,334 Member For: 21y 7d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 23/07/07 08:05 AM Posted 23/07/07 08:05 AM be aware jimmy that the residual is usually less than market value on the vehicle. quite often the vehicle can be purchased out the the lease and sold for a profit...
JimmyXR6T04 Member 1,299 Member For: 21y 3m 10d Location: Canberra Posted 23/07/07 08:13 AM Author Posted 23/07/07 08:13 AM be aware jimmy that the residual is usually less than market value on the vehicle. quite often the vehicle can be purchased out the the lease and sold for a profit...yeah mate, I've heard that can be the case. It's something I'll look into for my next car... mind you, that might still be a year or so away.. but I'm just trying to gauge all my options. The more I know, the better my decision will be.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now