Hyena Member 61 Member For: 20y 1m 10d Posted 18/07/07 05:16 AM Posted 18/07/07 05:16 AM Hey Guys, I picked up my 2004 T last week 7000ks post the 45k service by ford. I checked the coolant and it seems very watery with hardly any detectable colour to it (I'm used to the bright green stuff)I'm off to the snow this weekend so I want to make sure there's plenty of anti-freeze factor going on!A while back I read somewhere that mixing different types of coolants can cause a chemical reaction that will bugger the engine and cooling system. Does anyone know if the ford coolant is anything special ? I was just going to top it up with the green concentrate stuff (glycol)Has anyone been advised otherwise ?Cheers
f-wolf Member 897 Member For: 19y 5m 5d Gender: Male Location: ACT Posted 18/07/07 05:25 AM Posted 18/07/07 05:25 AM Flush the system !I use NULON Long- Life Concentrate in our 3 Cars. http://nulon.com.au/products.php?productId=ll
cobrav8 Member 1,969 Member For: 21y 6m 6d Gender: Male Location: New Zealand Posted 18/07/07 05:54 AM Posted 18/07/07 05:54 AM I would empty the system fully - fill with water - empty again - then fill 50:50 mix of antifreeze and water
Paranormal Member 469 Member For: 23y 1m 6d Location: Brissy Posted 18/07/07 11:06 AM Posted 18/07/07 11:06 AM (edited) Well the manual says they should use Motorcraft R1-52 MES-MN121-C what ever that is, but also recommends two mixing ratios 33% or 50%, if it aint very green I'd guess they only mixed it 33% but I'd be asking your dealer and confirming what coolant they used as you've read ya don't want to mix em and who knows what some service depts use. I use Nulon at 50-50.P.S it also says a 33% mix should withstand -16c and a 50% mix -37c Edited 18/07/07 11:08 AM by Paranormal
Ninka Legacy Donating Member 1,850 Member For: 23y 9m 6d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 18/07/07 12:43 PM Posted 18/07/07 12:43 PM Dump the coolant, and fill with undiluted coolant, minimum 33% glycol (I use Tectalloy 90)My car is one of the first 'T's' built (Dec. 02) and I have used the Tectalloy 90 since less then a year old, and there is no trace of corrosion in my engine (I have had it apart quite a few times, so I know what it looks like inside )If you choose to use a stronger concentrate and dilute it, make sure you use de-mineralised water, as you never know what is in your tap water.
Falchoon I see red Member 5,758 Member For: 23y 9m 13d Location: nowhere in particular Posted 19/07/07 07:52 AM Posted 19/07/07 07:52 AM (edited) If you choose to use a stronger concentrate and dilute it, make sure you use de-mineralised water, as you never know what is in your tap water.You can buy the Ford coolant pre-mixed with de-mineralised water, not sure how much it is, I'll find out tomorrow if I get a chance. Pretty sure the aftermarket brands such as Nulon or Tectalloy are probably cheaper (not sure if they are available pre-mixed but it's not hard to mix yourself) but I prefer using genuine stuff wherever possible Edited 19/07/07 07:54 AM by Falchoon
aussieturtle Member 39 Member For: 19y 2m 10d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Area Posted 28/07/07 11:00 PM Posted 28/07/07 11:00 PM Hi,I use BMW concentrate in my BF @ 50% by volume. I have used it in all my cars over the last 11 years and have never seen anything other than a clean waterjcket at change time. My last car had over 330000km on it with the original waterpump.To changeover I dumped the existing stuff, flushed, then refilled - easy.The best part is that it works out at around $11/1.5l bottle from your friendly BMW dealer and it is blue!The other thing you can do while the system is empty is to fit electrical heatshrink to your coolant hoses to secure/replace the anti chafe sleeves, as I have found that the electrical tape comes off. This is particularly useful on the Boss motors where the top hose runs a little close to the engine cover.CheersTom
XR06T Legacy Donating Member 4,146 Member For: 21y 3m 7d Gender: Male Posted 30/07/07 01:36 AM Posted 30/07/07 01:36 AM ~(I use Tectalloy 90)~good enough for me then!!
XR06T Legacy Donating Member 4,146 Member For: 21y 3m 7d Gender: Male Posted 09/08/07 08:49 AM Posted 09/08/07 08:49 AM how much coolant will she take guys?
Paranormal Member 469 Member For: 23y 1m 6d Location: Brissy Posted 09/08/07 11:20 AM Posted 09/08/07 11:20 AM how much coolant will she take guys?12.5ltr for the 6cyl and 15 ltr for the 8cyl
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now