falconhouseuk Member 11 Member For: 19y 5m 19d Location: UK. Posted 28/05/07 09:25 AM Posted 28/05/07 09:25 AM I have a 2003 turbo manual and its about to go into my local tuners to be remapped after a intercooler and pipes swap ( plazmaman stg 1 ). The car was previously running a phase 1 aps kit ( unichip and injectors ) and valve spring replacement at only 8psi giving 247rwkw. I have now fitted the plazmaman intercooler kit and swopped the battery to the passenger side with a pod filter fitted. Exhaust centre section being swapped to straight pipe.I am going to get it remapped by my local tuner who is a unichip agent but he has never seen one of these cars before so is there any thing to watch out for when tuning ???. I know the unichip isnt the best these days , but being the only other tuner in the UK is SCT who wernt helpfull and are a long way from me , I want to stick with a tuner I know and trust .Also how much power can I expect , and is safe with stock rods etc. I was going to get boost raised to 10psi but I still have stock fuel pump and aps phase 1 injectors . Any thoughts greatly appreciated chris
Guest bluprinturbo Guests Posted 28/05/07 10:09 AM Posted 28/05/07 10:09 AM (edited) 280-295rwks.10psi is no worries with stock fuel pump and rods.its your clutch that will probably be the problem.your tuner should be right with the job.if hes got plenty of experience using unichip then he should have no problem.not that im a qualified expert but id assume hes tuned turbo cars and knows how to safely tune them.detonation is the big nasty to steer clear of.good luck with it.keep us posted with the results. Edited 28/05/07 10:20 AM by bluprinturbo
Buf-Phoon loitering with intent Legacy Donating Member 13,318 Member For: 23y 1m 9d Gender: Male Location: Zombie Birdhouse Posted 28/05/07 10:47 AM Posted 28/05/07 10:47 AM MateGet your tuner to contact either APS or Autotech directly and advise which mods you are undertaking as they both have lots of experience tuning the Turbo Falcons with UniChip and should point you in the right directionhttp://www.airpowersystems.com.au/wrx/aps-...istributors.htmhttp://www.autotechengineering.com.au/ECU%...CU%20Tuning.htmMake sure that once tuned that you get it dyno sheets to check AFRs, boost etc ( no leaner than 12.5 to be safe). Also are your injectors the bosch 968s ( green tops) or the grey tops ?? The grey ones may run out of puff.If you can get an edit through SCT, I would do that as this has advantages over the unichip in terms of the parameters you can alter directly on the factory computer as it is not a piggyback.how/why did the car end up in the UK? What do the locals think??As a word of warning your gearbox will not tolerate much abuse with over 250 - 270 rwkwGood luck with it all Oh and by the way
tab Sucker Moderating Team 32,303 Member For: 22y 5m 3d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 28/05/07 10:51 AM Posted 28/05/07 10:51 AM Oh dear....geeseman has hacked buffy's login All very sound advice though &
KW CONNER Member 52 Member For: 19y 4m 29d Location: Cessnock Posted 28/05/07 02:55 PM Posted 28/05/07 02:55 PM MRT ( Middleton Racing Team ) in Australia I think do unichips on XR6 s try their website . Ask for Ben I think and tell him what you have done so far .
falconhouseuk Member 11 Member For: 19y 5m 19d Location: UK. Posted 29/05/07 08:01 PM Author Posted 29/05/07 08:01 PM Thanks for all the info so far I had a look at the injectors and they are a pale blue colour - what size are these and how far will they limit me. Are the gearboxes usually ok as long as I take it steady in first / second , its only for road use no drag strip action!!If I have got to start thinking of clutch upgrades what is best for road use , and approx how much??? I spent 2 years living in new zealand so when returning to the uk decided to take the car with me as I new it would cause a bit of interest. ( trouble is some idiots ask if its a holden)). Gets loads of looks and is a great talking point , and definatly surprises a few people with the performance. Getting parts can be a pain as nobody seems interested in sorting out shipping -- Plazmaman being the exception with Alex being great in sorting things out for me How is top speed on theese things limited ( 260 kph ????) , I havent got mine over 220 so far but hopefully will take it to germany next year to open it up fully and dont want a limiter spoiling the funSorry for all the questions - but cant exactly ask the lads down the local !!!!!!!!!!!chris
XR06T Legacy Donating Member 4,146 Member For: 21y 3m 5d Gender: Male Posted 30/05/07 02:44 AM Posted 30/05/07 02:44 AM stock limiter is 230kph, not sure if this is adjusted or removed with unichip!!
falconhouseuk Member 11 Member For: 19y 5m 19d Location: UK. Posted 30/05/07 11:32 AM Author Posted 30/05/07 11:32 AM Just noticed a couple of exhausts on ebay au Item number: 270125163755 are these any good as it seems very good value. May be worth replacing before tune if they will ship for me. X - force systems also advertised on there are they better ??????????
Buf-Phoon loitering with intent Legacy Donating Member 13,318 Member For: 23y 1m 9d Gender: Male Location: Zombie Birdhouse Posted 30/05/07 12:10 PM Posted 30/05/07 12:10 PM stock limiter is 230kph, not sure if this is adjusted or removed with unichip!!I am not sure that the Unichimp can remove the limiter, though we all know that edit dooes
falconhouseuk Member 11 Member For: 19y 5m 19d Location: UK. Posted 02/06/07 04:28 PM Author Posted 02/06/07 04:28 PM Ok HELP needed.. Finished fitting the intercooler kit and pod filter etc , and also fitted a boost gauge .A quick roadtest showed up a massive overboost problem ( 20 psi ) , car was originally set up to run 8psi on unichip . I thought it might be running a bit more boost before I get it tuned correctly but not that much !!!!!!!!!! I have removed boost solenoid and cleaned it and checked operation- all ok - but no change. I have piped the wastegate actuator directly from the compressor housing ( bypass the solenoid ) and it ran 5psi with no overboost problem.. I havent cut out centre muffler yet but guess this would make overboost worse with less back pressure.?I cant get the car into tuners for 10 days so anybody got any ideas???????????Is this normal after a intercooler and piping change - guess the plazmaman kit is very free flowing.PLEASE HELP. chris
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now