Help Tom Tom Go 710

outdoor34

• Member For: 17y 1m 6d

I just purchased a tom tom GO 710

great unit works well except I have it positioned on the far right of the dash and the only way to power it is with the custom mount ,,, unfortunatly the only power sourc to this unit is with this ugly cable that has to plug into the cigeret lighter power plug

is their any options anybody knows off that I can power this thing with it being not so visible I have thought of trying to wire up another cigeret lighter plug under the dash near the drivers feet, that would leave the wire running down the right hand side ?????

• Former MPS3 Driver!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 8d

just cut the cigarette lighter plug off and hardwire it into a power and earth, any audio store or electrician should be able to do this for you cheaply and easily if your not confident, some units I have seen run 2 earth wires into the plug, just work out which is which and solder away.

the cigarette lighter input is a easy spot to get power/earth from, good luck :roflmbo:

Thanks Mate

any idea were I would find an easy power ////earth supply

sorrry did not read the post properly you answered my question before I asked it but any tips on getting to the cig lighter source eg can you pull the cigeret lighter out or do you have to get behind it

• Former MPS3 Driver!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 8d

never pulled the one out in my T, but it shouldnt be too hard, I'm sure someone will enlighten you shortly.......

the only other option would be to check if there is a spare power/earth wired up to the fuse box, not sure though.

the last GPS I wired in was to a Kenworth T650, plenty of places to find power in them :roflmbo:

Edited by Laner

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 10d

Just use the mobile phone power. It's behind the fusebox and easy to find and wire up.

Personally you want to keep satnavs hidden when not in use as they are a huge theft target. Morons will smash your $600 windows to steal a $500 satnav.

• Member For: 17y 3m

Be very careful doing this. I believe that the Tomtom cigarette lighter plug contains a converter that steps down to 5V, cutting before this and hooking up directly to 12V will almost certainly fry it. Better off buying a bodge cig lighter socket from super cheap and hooking that up to your 12V or opening the guts of the plug and hooking the end up to 12V.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/section.php...ory=0&Lid=8

You can see in the pic that its a pretty meaty plug, gotta be something in there.

Be very careful doing this. I believe that the Tomtom cigarette lighter plug contains a converter that steps down to 5V, cutting before this and hooking up directly to 12V will almost certainly fry it. Better off buying a bodge cig lighter socket from super cheap and hooking that up to your 12V or opening the guts of the plug and hooking the end up to 12V.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/section.php...ory=0&Lid=8

You can see in the pic that its a pretty meaty plug, gotta be something in there.

Thanks for that I think I will go with wiring another plug up as it will also give me the option of moving the whole base to another car