MrBean Member 400 Member For: 20y 5m 4d Location: Melbourne Posted 12/03/07 09:57 AM Posted 12/03/07 09:57 AM Hello Everyone,I know that you can use the ArcadeGFX in a Carputer to drive your ICC Color LCD, as the PC outputs VGA (31khz) and the screen needs CGA(15khz) video signal.Now, I have managed to assemble a very decent Carputer, then decided to go another route with a ArcadeVGA GFX card, driving the standard Ford ICC Color LCD directly, as Panda and others have done.Now, last week I spent in Bangkok, and stumbled upon a very decent Apple Mac-mini setup, Core Duo (Yonah) processor, 1.86gig dual-core goodness, small, very small indeed, very powerful - and you can use bootcamp to install WinXP, so you can dualboot with Mac OS X.Only problem is that you have standard VGA output, but....maybe there is a solution: VGA-CGA ConverterShould work very well, exactly what we need, and the unit is quite small. Hardware converter, no software needed. And ability to adjust screensize/position etc......So, I will order one tonight, and test on my Mac-mini, and let you know how it goes.Should be a decent solution to a big problem.Br,MrBean.
mbjunior99 Member 4,359 Member For: 23y 9m 18d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 12/03/07 10:05 AM Posted 12/03/07 10:05 AM Sounds great, interested to hear how that goes.
MrBean Member 400 Member For: 20y 5m 4d Location: Melbourne Posted 12/03/07 10:17 AM Author Posted 12/03/07 10:17 AM No problem, should have it by Wednesday!
silverchris Member 129 Member For: 22y 8m 5d Location: Bulleen, Vic Posted 12/03/07 10:23 AM Posted 12/03/07 10:23 AM (edited) Now, last week I spent in Bangkok, and stumbled upon a very decent Apple Mac-mini setup, Core Duo (Yonah) processor, 1.86gig dual-core goodness, small, very small indeed, very powerful - and you can use bootcamp to install WinXP, so you can dualboot with Mac OS X.Only problem is that you have standard VGA output, but....maybe there is a solution: VGA-CGA ConverterBr,MrBean.←Yes, this has been done in the USA because I've read about it on Mac forums (somewhere). Good luck. Just a minor correction...the video port on Mac Mini is DVI, not VGA. This may make a difference. Mac Mini comes with a DVI to VGA adapter, but the connector on the back of the Mac Mini is DVI.Not sure if it helps.Cheers Edited 12/03/07 10:24 AM by silverchris
MrBean Member 400 Member For: 20y 5m 4d Location: Melbourne Posted 12/03/07 10:29 AM Author Posted 12/03/07 10:29 AM (edited) Yep, I am aware that the port on the back is DVI+A, not DVI only, VGA (Analog) as well. Pure DVI port looks different.This is why (as you correctly state) you can use the 15-pin D-sub connector (supplied with the Mini) to connect to the VGA-CGA converter.I did not mention this because it is redundant info Thanx for the heads-up anyway as some guys may need this information. Edited 12/03/07 10:30 AM by MrBean
spectre Member 2 Member For: 19y 6m 23d Posted 20/03/07 05:40 AM Posted 20/03/07 05:40 AM All I would like to know is how to get the video on the ICC on that end, what sort of modifications need to be done? What sort of connectors are used? And how do I do it?Then I will work from there.
MrBean Member 400 Member For: 20y 5m 4d Location: Melbourne Posted 20/03/07 12:41 PM Author Posted 20/03/07 12:41 PM Hello,There's a cable, with proprietary Ford connector running from the LCD to just under the ICC, underneath the BEM module - you will have to remove the tissue-holder to get to it.I am cutting of the Ford plug, and will connect those wires directly to my converter.You can use std d-sub 15 as well, as found on your computer monitor cable, or you can get a Ford propietary plug to fit the one supplied - to much of a hassle for me, I will solder lcd cables to a sil-connector that will plug onto the converter.Easy enough.
bob^ Member 170 Member For: 22y 11m 7d Location: Geelong Posted 05/04/07 11:23 AM Posted 05/04/07 11:23 AM I hope it's not too late but don't do it!You can buy the plug for like 15 bucks. Aerpro make it and it is to suit the factory Toyota radio from early to mid 90's
MrBean Member 400 Member For: 20y 5m 4d Location: Melbourne Posted 20/04/07 11:39 PM Author Posted 20/04/07 11:39 PM Hello Bob,Thanx for the info, but I'll rather use my own method. I am replacing the Ford cable all together with a better quality real VGA datacable, as I am having some noise on my display, and I believe it comes from insufficient screening on the stock cable - mine is a little damaged, as it is a 2nd hand DZ ICC I obtained from a member - the screening doesn't go down all the way, and is not earthed on any end - should be earthed at one side of the cable.I am using the stock plug on the LCD end, but replacing the Ford cable, and wiring it into the SIL-connector on the converter. I will give feedback tomorrow if it reduced noise or not, but it should improve display quality lots.
cobrav8 Member 1,969 Member For: 21y 6m 17d Gender: Male Location: New Zealand Posted 21/04/07 12:32 AM Posted 21/04/07 12:32 AM Isnt the VGA-CGA Converter converting the wrong way around? I thought our ICC needed RGB connection whereas most things are outputing RCA - combined colours?I am certainly no expert - but would I be able to use that converter to feed an RCA connector camera into the ICC?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now