Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 4m 9d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney NSW
Posted

Is the pick point in the tank an issue when running, say, under half tank?

Could effect the primer pumps ability to fill the surge tank, or is it the reason why a 3lt surge tank is used so it is full all the time?

Does that make sense?

  • 11 months later...
  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: mackay
Posted

hi there guys, im just enquiring about the surge tank.

I cant see how they work, I understand the theory behind them, however

theoretically if you have 3 litres of liquid in a sealed tank, then try to suck without a breather

then nothing would come out, as the tank is sealed, and the only opening is the pissy fuel line

from standard, then theoretically you wouldnt be able to suck much more out, of course you would get a little until vaccumn became too high.

am I missing something here,

I know you have your return going back to it, but when you are under full noise, at the end of the day, your fuel is still getting delivered by one pipe from the tank only, hence an inline w/o surge should do the same thing ?

c and v just dyno mine at 298rw with std pump, and its running lean, so im looking for upgrade,

but I need to understand first.

  • Mmmmm......BOOST
  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 5m 1d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: central coast
Posted

have a look at process west setup in the sponsors sect

it should tell you what ya need to know

  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 6m 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: syd south
Posted (edited)
hi there guys, im just enquiring about the surge tank.

I cant see how they work, I understand the theory behind them, however

theoretically if you have 3 litres of liquid in a sealed tank, then try to suck without a breather

then nothing would come out, as the tank is sealed, and the only opening is the pissy fuel line

from standard, then theoretically you wouldnt be able to suck much more out, of course you would get a little until vaccumn became too high.

am I missing something here,

I know you have your return going back to it, but when you are under full noise, at the end of the day, your fuel is still getting delivered by one pipe from the tank only, hence an inline w/o surge should do the same thing ?

c and v just dyno mine at 298rw with std pump, and its running lean, so im looking for upgrade,

but I need to understand first.

I think the thing you have overlooked is that the return from the rail runs back into the surgetank,that leaves the standard return line to act as a breather from the surgetank unless the surgetank is completely full in which case it is spilling fuel back to the fuel tank.

there is never a vacuum in a surgetank because it always has a low pressure line (return line)returning to the fuel tank

Edited by etm
  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: mackay
Posted

you are right, I see now how this will aleviate the vaccum issue, thanks ETM

ps: does anyone know if the return line runs into the top of the tank, or does it return to the bottom?

if it goes to the bottom,then I guess it will act as a 2nd pickup if there ever was vaccum.

just wondering.

  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 6m 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: syd south
Posted
you are right, I see now how this will aleviate the vaccum issue, thanks ETM

ps: does anyone know if the return line runs into the top of the tank, or does it return to the bottom?

if it goes to the bottom,then I guess it will act as a 2nd pickup if there ever was vaccum.

just wondering.

the return line should always be as high as possible on the tank as the tank can not be filled higher that it obviously ;)

  • Into the laaaake
  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 3m 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Nrth Qld
Posted

The bottom outlet goes to your high pressure pump then onto the fuel rail.

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: mackay
Posted
the return line should always be as high as possible on the tank as the tank can not be filled higher that it obviously ;)

what I meant, where abouts does the return line vent back in the fuel tank?

bottom or top?

thanks guys.

  • Into the laaaake
  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 3m 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Nrth Qld
Posted

usually the side up the top of the tank.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...