JimmyXR6T04 Member 1,299 Member For: 21y 3m 12d Location: Canberra Posted 25/01/07 02:44 AM Posted 25/01/07 02:44 AM I was just wondering if it was possible to add extra tunes into other slots on the edit?? for example, I currently have 3 tunes, but if I wanted to try another tuners tune to compare how the car drives etc, is it possible without wiping the whole 3 tunes?I was under the impression that the tuner can access the edit box, and delete other tunes, but not see the other tuners work. So, could I get another tune put in, and keep my current tune? The reason I ask is, I went to a local shop in canberra, and was making some basic enquiries about a service etc, and we got on to talking edits/tuning etc etc, out of interest I asked how much for a custom tune. Being close to home, I thought I might give em a try down the track. But he said that they'd have to wipe and reset my entire box, losing all my previous tunes I love the way my car drives, so buggered if I'll be deleting my tunes, but I wouldn't have minded one extra tune just out of curiosity.. Mainly because they were critical of the "thumping" mid range torque/power, saying it'll kill my engine yada yada, and that they bring the power on gradually etc. Has anyone got tunes from different tuners?? is it possible? cheers
RAPHOON Legacy Donating Member 1,776 Member For: 23y 3m 5d Posted 25/01/07 03:13 AM Posted 25/01/07 03:13 AM The short answer is that yes a tuner can clear a single slot without clearing the others. You can have a tune different tuner for each slot if you like.If the guy did not know this basic fact, how good is he going to be with the rest of the software?
sutty Mushroom Legacy Donating Member 799 Member For: 22y 4m 17d Gender: Male Location: THORNLANDS, QLD Posted 25/01/07 03:21 AM Posted 25/01/07 03:21 AM I know of at least 1 guy who has 3 tunes in his box from 3 different tuners.I personally had tunes from 2 different tuners for the XR6T.It can be done as you describe. You tell the tuner which slot to use and they wipe the old tune and put theirs in.
Chooka THE Member Legacy Donating Member 1,210 Member For: 21y 2m 27d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 25/01/07 03:22 AM Posted 25/01/07 03:22 AM (edited) If the guy did not know this basic fact, how good is he going to be with the rest of the software? ←that's what I was thinking I know there is someone on here that runs three different tunes (Wogtune/Extreme/HPF) but can't remember who!Chooka Edited 25/01/07 03:23 AM by Chooka
Paul@eliteauto Member 843 Member For: 20y 1m 1d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 25/01/07 03:23 AM Posted 25/01/07 03:23 AM I know of at least 1 guy who has 3 tunes in his box from 3 different tuners.I personally had tunes from 2 different tuners for the XR6T.It can be done as you describe. You tell the tuner which slot to use and they wipe the old tune and put theirs in.←YEP Phil is spot on!
bugster70 Legacy Donating Member 1,326 Member For: 21y 4m 29d Location: Canberra Posted 25/01/07 04:14 AM Posted 25/01/07 04:14 AM Jimmy, please don't tell me that that was Glen who told you that?!
JimmyXR6T04 Member 1,299 Member For: 21y 3m 12d Location: Canberra Posted 25/01/07 05:38 AM Author Posted 25/01/07 05:38 AM The short answer is that yes a tuner can clear a single slot without clearing the others. You can have a tune different tuner for each slot if you like.If the guy did not know this basic fact, how good is he going to be with the rest of the software? ←Yeah, I know where you're coming from.. but I don't think the bloke I talked to is the man to see about edit. see below.Jimmy, please don't tell me that that was Glen who told you that?! ←Without slagging anyone off, no it wasn't Glen.. he's away on leave till next week. But yes, buggy, it was the shop you have in mind makes me wonder really. Although, I have absolutely no doubts about Glens ability to tune these cars. He's a great tuner, and picks up on new stuff very quickly.. as was seen when the wog was down here.The disappointing thing wasn't only that he gave me the incorrect info, even though at heart I knew it could be done, but he was also having a bit of a go at the way some other tuners tune cars.. He was especially adamant that the XR6T motor was a ticking time bomb with 15-16psi.. which, for my application, I don't think it is.. I rarely belt the car to start with. Perhaps I'll go back there when Glen is back at work, as I really just wanted my fuel system tested and the pump tested, as I was having similar issues as Dingah (starting issues), and they put it down to the fuel filter, and some other issues with the car.
bugster70 Legacy Donating Member 1,326 Member For: 21y 4m 29d Location: Canberra Posted 25/01/07 05:59 AM Posted 25/01/07 05:59 AM Hmm, okay, I think I know who you're talking about. I gotta say, I HATE it when people in a 'position of trust' abuse, or at least manipulate, that trust. I mean, the guy you spoke to is a qualified mechanic and you'd expect to get fairly solid advice from them when you ask a question about cars they are tuning. If they don't know the definitive answer, what's so wrong about saying, "sorry, I don't know, but will either find the answer out for you or ask Glen when he gets back"?! Off topic a bit, I read a bit about Dingah's starting issues but can't recall/didn't read the final conclusion. Could it be something to do with the fuel lines deteriorating? I remember reading something about guys fitting new (Walbro) in tank pumps having incorrect (non submersible) fuel lines that were perishing?
JimmyXR6T04 Member 1,299 Member For: 21y 3m 12d Location: Canberra Posted 25/01/07 06:10 AM Author Posted 25/01/07 06:10 AM Hmm, okay, I think I know who you're talking about. I gotta say, I HATE it when people in a 'position of trust' abuse, or at least manipulate, that trust. I mean, the guy you spoke to is a qualified mechanic and you'd expect to get fairly solid advice from them when you ask a question about cars they are tuning. If they don't know the definitive answer, what's so wrong about saying, "sorry, I don't know, but will either find the answer out for you or ask Glen when he gets back"?! Off topic a bit, I read a bit about Dingah's starting issues but can't recall/didn't read the final conclusion. Could it be something to do with the fuel lines deteriorating? I remember reading something about guys fitting new (Walbro) in tank pumps having incorrect (non submersible) fuel lines that were perishing? ←I agree 100% mate. Although, being new to the edit, perhaps he really did think all tunes had to be wiped. It really did sound as though he was trying to convince me to ditch my tunes and get 3 of his.. maybe he didn't mean it that way, but it certainly came across that way. The thing is, I didn't really even ask if he could just put one tune in, because I sort of knew that they could.. so I asked how much for a single custom tune in one of my other slots, and that's when he said no can do.. gotta wipe the lot and do the lot again Yeah, it was something to do with the intank walbro pump and filter or something, and the line not holding up. But I don't know the full story, so I won't comment. I just want to check mine out. My mate who did all the parts installation for me is back from the coast now, so we'll prob pull it out and go over the pump and immediate hoses/lines from the pump and see if we can see anything odd looking. Over a few cold beers of course
RAP1D Member Legacy Donating Member 3,739 Member For: 20y 4m 12d Gender: Male Location: Sydney NSW Posted 25/01/07 06:16 AM Posted 25/01/07 06:16 AM I have two different tuners tunes in mine, and both are less than 15psi, but one tune does make my motor a ticking time bomb, and the other tune dosnt.Tuners and not all the same and they all have different views, be it from experience with our cars or just general talk they hear about the cars... plenty of motors have broken on 15psi, and plenty have done lots of kays and still going strong
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now