ROLMDL role model Member 1,111 Member For: 20y 6m 20d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne,S.E Posted 03/01/07 05:59 AM Posted 03/01/07 05:59 AM hi guyswell ive decided I didnt wanna go the whole exhuast system yet and just wanted to change to the cat to a hiflow cat ive been told I should fit a 3.5" metal cat on the stock exhast. so I went around to some exhaust shops around melbourne and they reckon that it wouldnt fit so I was bit confued and just left.And I know some guys on here a running 3.5" cat and 4" cat on the stock exhasut but I dunno how they set it up.so just wondernig if anyone has some pictures of the 3.5" cat installed on there stock exhaust system so I can show the guys how I want it.or if you could reckonmaded some exhaust shops around eastern surburb melbourne.Carlos
falcon73 Member 163 Member For: 20y 2m 16d Posted 03/01/07 07:35 AM Posted 03/01/07 07:35 AM I havent got a turbo I only have a n/a 6, but looking at all the gear underneath the T you shouldnt have a problem fitting a 3.5 inch metal cat.At the piont they attach the cat to the twin 2.25 inch standard exhaust behind the cat the just have to do a collector from one pipe to 2 pipes and in front of the cat where it attaches to the dump pipe they may have to reduce the pipe from the cat down to fit the dump pipe(unsure about that bit) but in any case a exhaust shop should be able to do it.I know its vague but just keep searching and there will be an exhuast shop who will do it without trying to sell there gear to you as well
Skooby Legacy Donating Member 398 Member For: 20y 4m 12d Location: Phillip Island Posted 03/01/07 09:56 AM Posted 03/01/07 09:56 AM BT, in another thread Bugster said this:I also paid an extra $180 to have the MetalCat installed, but that included having a y-piece inserted to mate the 3.5" outlet on the cat to the twin 2.25" stock zorst.Hope that helps
ROLMDL role model Member 1,111 Member For: 20y 6m 20d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne,S.E Posted 03/01/07 12:03 PM Author Posted 03/01/07 12:03 PM cheers mate I give bugster a pm
bugster70 Legacy Donating Member 1,326 Member For: 21y 4m 27d Location: Canberra Posted 03/01/07 11:14 PM Posted 03/01/07 11:14 PM Thanks Skooby. Yeah, BT, I would steer well clear of any exhaust shop that says they can't incorporate a 3.5" MetalCat into the stock system, it really is a relatively simple thing to do. The only real 'complication' is at the exit end of the cat where, as already mentioned, you will need to mate the 3.5" SINGLE outlet of the cat to the TWIN 2.25" pipes of the stock system. A simple y-piece will do the trick.As I said in my other thread, the exhaust shop I went to isn't known for being cheap, and it still only cost me $180 to have installed (on top of the cost of the cat, of course).Sorry, I haven't taken any photos of it installed, but ANY decent exhaust shop should have no trouble comprehending what is required.Hope this helps.
JimmyXR6T04 Member 1,299 Member For: 21y 3m 10d Location: Canberra Posted 03/01/07 11:22 PM Posted 03/01/07 11:22 PM yeah, I was also told by a shop that it couldn't be done.. I went elsewhere and it was all sorted.. now the funny part was, that the original shop that told me it couldn't be done, ended up getting the job when I crashed my car... surprise surprise, they figured out how to do it I think it was more a case of them trying to sell me "their" product to make a little extra on the cat..
ROLMDL role model Member 1,111 Member For: 20y 6m 20d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne,S.E Posted 04/01/07 12:55 AM Author Posted 04/01/07 12:55 AM Thanks Skooby. Yeah, BT, I would steer well clear of any exhaust shop that says they can't incorporate a 3.5" MetalCat into the stock system, it really is a relatively simple thing to do. The only real 'complication' is at the exit end of the cat where, as already mentioned, you will need to mate the 3.5" SINGLE outlet of the cat to the TWIN 2.25" pipes of the stock system. A simple y-piece will do the trick.As I said in my other thread, the exhaust shop I went to isn't known for being cheap, and it still only cost me $180 to have installed (on top of the cost of the cat, of course).Sorry, I haven't taken any photos of it installed, but ANY decent exhaust shop should have no trouble comprehending what is required.Hope this helps. ←cheers bugster sounds simple to me ps:by fitted a 3.5" metal cat to the stock zorst what sort of benfiets should I get and will in bring a few kws??? I think it was more a case of them trying to sell me "their" product to make a little extra on the cat..←I agree on that to
bugster70 Legacy Donating Member 1,326 Member For: 21y 4m 27d Location: Canberra Posted 04/01/07 02:23 AM Posted 04/01/07 02:23 AM ps:by fitted a 3.5" metal cat to the stock zorst what sort of benfiets shouldI get and will in bring a few kws??? ←Well, it's pretty widely accepted that the cat is the biggest restriction in an otherwise very good stock exhaust system (next biggest is the centre muffler, which I had replaced by twin hot dogs at the same time). By freeing it up you should gain a few extra rwkw's, but it's probably best to get another custom tune to make sure the rest of the system is coping with the freer flowing zorst. My limited understanding is that complications can include things like overboosting if the tunes are designed to run with a stock zorst. I think the real benefit is that it will make the most of other mods you have done and largely remove the exhaust system from the equation as a restricting factor, unless you're chasing really big power. I think the decreased backpressure helps out with/eases the strain on the valve springs (if you've still got stockies) and turbo too. One other thing I noticed, and I assume that it's as a result of the better cat, is that the turbo seems to spool up a fair bit quicker than before too. Can anyone confirm if this is a normal side effect of a freer flowing cat? All in all though, I'm very happy with the zorst mods I've done, especially as I've managed to retain a stock look.
ford number 1 Legacy Donating Member 602 Member For: 22y 1m 1d Gender: Male Location: N/W Sydney Posted 21/04/07 02:01 AM Posted 21/04/07 02:01 AM I had a 3.5inch Metalcat cat installed yesterday and with the same tune I noticed that boost has risen 2.5-3psi just with that.So guys that do this id definately be getting the tune looked at asap.mines getting work done next friday so ill put it back to standard till then..
mbjunior99 Member 4,359 Member For: 23y 9m 7d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 21/04/07 02:04 AM Posted 21/04/07 02:04 AM Wow, that's a lot. Be interesting to see how many rwkw you picked up once you get your tune fixed.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now