God666 Complete Bastard Legacy Donating Member 1,123 Member For: 22y 9m 26d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 10/10/06 12:30 PM Posted 10/10/06 12:30 PM Owned two beetles in my life, both great fun cars to drive. The only car I have ever driven that could be controlled to go around corners as much with the throttle as the steering. Half way into a corner, back off, around she goes, back into the throttle and it is the most fun you can have with your pants on.Might be old, slow and gutless, but I would still love to have one again.
jetute Legacy Donating Member 4,553 Member For: 22y 7m 29d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 10/10/06 08:11 PM Posted 10/10/06 08:11 PM I have recently bought a 68 VW Beetle for my daughter. It was a custom rebuild from a VW specialist in Sydney some time ago. I am wondering if there are any Bug experts or enthuisiest on this forum. I may have an occasional question for them if there is.Scotty←If you need any work done on the VW.. I highly reccomend Leons Motors at Salisbury. I get my vw transporter done there and they guys are great
saleen Big Gun Legacy Donating Member 4,170 Member For: 23y 11m 20d Gender: Male Location: NSW Posted 10/10/06 08:34 PM Posted 10/10/06 08:34 PM www.cro.com/sellout
937 Member 266 Member For: 20y 2m 27d Posted 10/10/06 10:39 PM Posted 10/10/06 10:39 PM Also make sure the engine got a " Thermostat system " fitted !A lot of people run them without one. It will F### the engine in a very short time.
DBOSS Faster than any BTA,XTC,Autotech, Nizpro and Tunehouse car Member 3,918 Member For: 23y 3m 8d Location: D SHIRE! Posted 10/10/06 10:45 PM Posted 10/10/06 10:45 PM Kombie's,beetles,P1ssants I thought the kitty thread was lame but this top's it
ktford FORD FORD FORD Legacy Donating Member 9,390 Member For: 23y 6m 13d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Point In Brissy's eastern side Posted 11/10/06 06:53 AM Posted 11/10/06 06:53 AM Poor old Kim
ktford FORD FORD FORD Legacy Donating Member 9,390 Member For: 23y 6m 13d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Point In Brissy's eastern side Posted 11/10/06 06:55 AM Posted 11/10/06 06:55 AM I'll just bet thurbosexman's isn't an auto. LOL
Kimberley Scott www.australianflag.org.au Legacy Donating Member 6,763 Member For: 21y 2m 13d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 11/10/06 09:22 AM Author Posted 11/10/06 09:22 AM Also make sure the engine got a " Thermostat system " fitted !A lot of people run them without one. It will F### the engine in a very short time.←Thermostat, I may be making an ass of myself, but they are air cooled, how and where is there a thermostat?Scotty
Kimberley Scott www.australianflag.org.au Legacy Donating Member 6,763 Member For: 21y 2m 13d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 11/10/06 09:24 AM Author Posted 11/10/06 09:24 AM Interesting to see negative comments posted about the Bug .... very unusual to see that from anyone who has owned one for any period of time. Most of the people I know who own them are absolute fanatics.If it's running OK just leave it alone - the only people I know who ever have an issue with one are those who try to make the engine do things it is not designed to. Maximum revs for instance is about 4000.Mine is a '55. Bought new by my Grandfather and handed down through the family. It is quite highly modified (for a 55). Grandad was a bit of a hoon so as soon as the 40hp motor came out he bought one. The original is 36hp and I still have both it and the 40hp but the car is now running a 1500cc motor with full syncro box. The original transaxle had syncros only on 2nd 3rd and OD - yes, fourth was an overdrive.It now has gas shocks to properly control the four wheel independent torsion bar suspension, and yes, only drum brakes, but hey, in a Bug who needs to use the brakes anyhow? Top speed is about 75 MPH. I can tell you it gets along pretty good and surprises a lot of late model cars around the twisties.In it's day it boasted not only fully indepenent suspension but four wheel hydraulic brakes - yes, a big deal in the fifties when a lot of cars had only front hydraulics and the rears were cable.Also full alloy engine and transaxle - something that wasn't noticed on many exotics until the 70s. Weight is just 750 kg. And as has been said the engine/transaxle can be removed in very short time, about half an hour for both.Poor ol thing is sitting in the garage at the moment waiting for me to re-assemble it - stripped down for a bare metal respray - will get back to it one day.←Some good info in there, thankyou, I would dearly love to know what this bug has, as I have done 90mp/h and either the Tacho is wrong or I am an idiot cause it revs to 5000 Rpm..I have only driven it a bit, but they are great fun to drive.Scotty
Turbo6man Legacy Donating Member 4,084 Member For: 23y 11m 20d Gender: Male Location: South Coast NSW Posted 11/10/06 09:34 AM Posted 11/10/06 09:34 AM Some good info in there, thankyou, I would dearly love to know what this bug has, as I have done 90mp/h and either the Tacho is wrong or I am an idiot cause it revs to 5000 Rpm..I have only driven it a bit, but they are great fun to drive.Scotty←If it has been worked over, and many of them have, it will certainly do what you've said. I think you said in a previous post that it had spent some time at a VW specialist place so that would explain it's performance. They can have anything up to a 2.2 litre motor fitted and have been known to put away 11 sec 1/4s. They are so light it doesn't take much to get them moving BUT once you start spending money on the mods you have to expect to keep doing it because as I said the motors are not really meant for that kind of work and the wear rate increases dramatically.There is a "thermostat" that controls the flaps on the cooling fan housing.ktford> that would be a safe bet ...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now