cooltint Member 686 Member For: 23y 5m 9d Gender: Male Location: Gold Coast QLD Posted 07/08/06 11:28 AM Posted 07/08/06 11:28 AM Hi AllI know there is a difference in the front to rear offsets in the Typhoon but I don't know exactly why?I'm looking to do some local Motorkana type events and would like to put different wheels on the car as chewing up expensive 19" road rubber just seems silly.I would probably look at 18" XR wheels or similar fitted with street legal race tyres, but I don't know if they'll foul the brakes or whatever.Can anybody give me the answers I seek please???Big AL
ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 15d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 07/08/06 11:58 AM Posted 07/08/06 11:58 AM The main reason is to fit over the front brakes.Any aftermarket wheels will need to be checked before they are paid for as many do not fit.The front fit the rear, the rear do not fit the front. The spare is a front.
BOoya Member 118 Member For: 20y 1m 28d Location: Somewhere on the Open Highway, NT Posted 07/08/06 12:02 PM Posted 07/08/06 12:02 PM (edited) The front fit the rear, the rear do not fit the front. The spare is a front.←*editied - should of had my reading glasses on* Edited 07/08/06 12:03 PM by BOoya
Guest Guests Posted 11/08/06 02:51 AM Posted 11/08/06 02:51 AM Hi AllI know there is a difference in the front to rear offsets in the Typhoon but I don't know exactly why?I'm looking to do some local Motorkana type events and would like to put different wheels on the car as chewing up expensive 19" road rubber just seems silly.I would probably look at 18" XR wheels or similar fitted with street legal race tyres, but I don't know if they'll foul the brakes or whatever.Can anybody give me the answers I seek please???Big AL←Back rims WILL NOT clear the big brakes, the fronts will fit on the back but the rears will not go on the front because of the massive front caliper's.
Guest Guests Posted 11/08/06 02:52 AM Posted 11/08/06 02:52 AM If you dont'have the Brambo's they will fit front or rear.
Guest newl Guests Posted 11/08/06 10:27 AM Posted 11/08/06 10:27 AM If you dont'have the Brambo's they will fit front or rear.Kinda hard to have a Typhoon and NOT have Brembos unless you've replaced them with something else on your own accord.Perhaps you're referring to the six pot kits versus the standard 4 pot Brembos?
bangm001 Member 307 Member For: 20y 9m 23d Posted 11/08/06 10:30 AM Posted 11/08/06 10:30 AM If you dont'have the Brambo's they will fit front or rear.Kinda hard to have a Typhoon and NOT have Brembos unless you've replaced them with something else on your own accord.Perhaps you're referring to the six pot kits versus the standard 4 pot Brembos?←I think its a mk 2 bro, so like mine would only have the PBRs..
cooltint Member 686 Member For: 23y 5m 9d Gender: Male Location: Gold Coast QLD Posted 11/08/06 12:34 PM Author Posted 11/08/06 12:34 PM If you dont'have the Brambo's they will fit front or rear.Kinda hard to have a Typhoon and NOT have Brembos unless you've replaced them with something else on your own accord.Perhaps you're referring to the six pot kits versus the standard 4 pot Brembos?←I think its a mk 2 bro, so like mine would only have the PBRs..←No it's a BF Typhoon with the factory fitted 4 pot Brembos.Big AL
cooltint Member 686 Member For: 23y 5m 9d Gender: Male Location: Gold Coast QLD Posted 11/08/06 12:44 PM Author Posted 11/08/06 12:44 PM (edited) Hi AllI know there is a difference in the front to rear offsets in the Typhoon but I don't know exactly why?I'm looking to do some local Motorkana type events and would like to put different wheels on the car as chewing up expensive 19" road rubber just seems silly.I would probably look at 18" XR wheels or similar fitted with street legal race tyres, but I don't know if they'll foul the brakes or whatever.Can anybody give me the answers I seek please???Big AL←Back rims WILL NOT clear the big brakes, the fronts will fit on the back but the rears will not go on the front because of the massive front caliper's.←You see this is what confuses me, the front wheels have a smaller offset than the rears. The hub that mounts the wheels to the disc is approx 35mm on the front and 45mm on the rear. This means that the rear wheels are pushed out more than the fronts, thus effectively giving the front calipers even more clearance if the rear wheels are used on the front. Maybe they foul the guards and that's why they shouldn't be fitted to the front.It has been suggested that the rears are a different offset to increase the track so as to improve handling. This would seem to make sense now.Anyway I've got an option on a set of 18" XR rims, so I'll see if they fit and don't foul the guards or the brakes.Big AL Edited 11/08/06 12:50 PM by cooltint
F663 Member 70 Member For: 20y 3m Location: Perth Posted 11/08/06 12:59 PM Posted 11/08/06 12:59 PM Reply to BF F6THIS IS NOT CORRECT THAT THE REAR RIMS WILL NOT FIT THE FRONT BECAUSE OF FOULING THE BRAKES.IN FACT YOU WOULD BE BETTER OFF USING ALL REAR RIMS AS THEY HAVE AND CREATE MORE ROOM DUE TO THE BIGGER OFF SET. 10MMTHIS IN TURN GIVES A WIDER TRACK TO THE VEHICLE MORE ROOM ETC ETC FOR THE BRAKES.THE ONLY PROBLEMS YOU WILL HAVE IS FOULING ON THE FRONT GUARDS WHEN TURNING INTO A DRIVE WAY.PUTTING REAR RIMS ON THE FRONT AND FRONTS ON THE BACK WOULD ONLY LOOK FUNNY BUT THEY WILL ALL FIT.I USE AU PURSUIT RIMS ON MY BF F6 AND WORK GREAT AS THESE ARE ALL THE SAME OFF SET.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now