Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 6m 7d
  • Location: The Monaro
Posted

Anyone else have squeaky rear springs. It was OK when new I have done 4K klms and noise started in the last 1K. I was going to spray with WD40 but I thought that it would attract dust and make it worse. :laughing:

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 8m 6d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted

Welcome to cold weather in the xr6 turbo ute world. There are a few things you can try and they might stop it for a little bit, but mine always comes back in winter and squeaks like a b**ch until it gets warm again

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 4m 9d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Toowoomba
Posted

I have a feeling that there was some talk of that rear end squeak being something to do with

a) a spring or something in the rear brakes calipers - fixed with a squirt of WD40 (try running over those cats-eye things with your foot on and off the brake)

b) leaves squeaking - I think someone used a piece of rubber hose cable tied in between the offending leaves....

...have done a search and couldnt find the relevant threads....

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 27d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mildura
Posted

when the ford dickheads put my king springs in they thought it would be cool to tighten it up while still hoist+stands.

so when it finally dropped to ride height the bush's squeek like a b**ch!

ive got new bush's here to put in myself. just gotta get around to it

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 3m 15d
  • Location: Canberra
Posted

my sedan squeaks when going down driveways etc.. I haven't really been too fussed with it, is it something to worry about? will it cause any damage?

  • TerriGhia
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 8m 13d
Posted

Its the bushes on the rear springs.I know a tradie who took his out and lubed them with some success.

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 5m
  • Location: sh*tney
Posted

could be one of 2 things,

1. if you havehad the ute lowered check that the bolts at the front end of the leafs, (the end facing the front of the car) are tight ( reach around the back and check the nut) these nuts are tapered and once undone will not tighten up suffecciently to stop the metal washers from rubbing up against the chasis causing a squeak.

2. the self lubricating rubber washers between the leafs (these stop the leafs from rubbing against eachother) may be worn

check the underneath of your ute as a little surface rust area will point to what is rubbing together

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 8m
  • Location: Newcastle
Posted

mmm. mine squeaks all the time except when braking (very loud and annoying), but mine is from a different cause I believe.

Ford Grunt

  • 1 month later...
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 15d
Posted

I can answer many of your concerns as I am on my 5th Xr now (BF Tornado)

Don't spray with wet lube as it will attract dirt and cause "inter leaf wear" but can spray with dry Moly spray. If you have Kings, the noise is most likely coming from the small metal strap that is wrapped around the spring pack. If you have a close look you will see where it has been rubbing on the edge of the spring leaves. What I have done on last two utes is to have the springs taken back out (would be easier to do it prior to installing) get the metal band opened up and have a teflon or eurethane sleeve fitted over the metal strap and then close the strap back up and they stay quiet for a long time (upto 35k - 40k which is when I trade them in)

Hope this helps.

Sport

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 7m 11d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: brisbane
Posted
Its the bushes on the rear springs.I know a tradie who took his out and lubed them with some success.

lube the inner tube aswell as the outside of the bush

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...