caspertt Legacy Donating Member 47 Member For: 20y 7m 3d Gender: Male Location: Toodyay, WA Posted 10/07/06 08:20 AM Posted 10/07/06 08:20 AM Fellas,Just wondering if anybody knows whether the signal to the factory amp is high level or low level. I am currently running an eclipse 12" sub off the factory amp and it is suprisingly clean bass most the way up, this makes me think that they may be low level , this being the case would it not be possible to splice the signal into a better amp??? Anyone done this???Thanks
Robit28 Member 385 Member For: 20y 11m 1d Location: Brisbane Posted 10/07/06 08:32 AM Posted 10/07/06 08:32 AM I haven't had a look at the amp myself yet, but all threads on the forum seem to point to high level inputs to the subwoofer amp.
caspertt Legacy Donating Member 47 Member For: 20y 7m 3d Gender: Male Location: Toodyay, WA Posted 10/07/06 08:44 AM Author Posted 10/07/06 08:44 AM Yeah, thanks robit,I just never remember anyone saying whether they were or werent. Thought the question had to be asked.
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 7d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 10/07/06 08:49 AM Posted 10/07/06 08:49 AM It is a low level but its also a low voltage signal, and uses a conventional copper wire instead of a shielded wire. You could look at the wiring diagram and give it a go, but you would need to look at the signal first to find out what level it's at... otherwise you may blow transistors. I'm pretty sure the mod that ASL do takes this signal before it leaves the ICC and attach some RCA connectors to it, but the signal is only about 1/2 a volt, and I wouldnt want to use anything below a 2v signal to amplify.
caspertt Legacy Donating Member 47 Member For: 20y 7m 3d Gender: Male Location: Toodyay, WA Posted 10/07/06 02:54 PM Author Posted 10/07/06 02:54 PM Thanks xxx,I have a bit of a plan. I hope to run a preamp/eq which ive aquired in the past, this will take stereo in and convert to 6 channels (sub front and rear) in 7 volt output, I figure as long as I can get a clean signal to this preamp I should be able to get it sounding pretty good. Worst come to worst I could run the asl kit into this preamp.
RAP1D Member Legacy Donating Member 3,739 Member For: 20y 4m 11d Gender: Male Location: Sydney NSW Posted 11/07/06 10:31 AM Posted 11/07/06 10:31 AM The low level input is accually a propper shielded cable, it just looks like separate wires on the plug.I ran a pair of 12in JLs off the stock amp and it accually did an ok job ( I did\scpnected one of the 12s and it sounded better as it didnt like 2ohms too much ).I've now changed for a mono block amp and used the low level cable, its a very low voltage signal so the gain needs to be max, but it works really well and cranks HUGE. Ive now got a massive sound in the car and only changed some splits an amp and added some subs... By the way, I had to leave the factory amp wired up. When I had it disconected the main speakers ran at full range and distorted at 22ish levels. there must be a signal sent to or from the head unit to turn the crossover on, or bypass it as there is two wires that go to the amp that I couldnt figure out what they were for... now I know
shockF6 Legacy Donating Member 478 Member For: 20y 11m 27d Location: Melbourne Posted 11/07/06 11:03 AM Posted 11/07/06 11:03 AM It is a low level but its also a low voltage signal, and uses a conventional copper wire instead of a shielded wire. You could look at the wiring diagram and give it a go, but you would need to look at the signal first to find out what level it's at... otherwise you may blow transistors. I'm pretty sure the mod that ASL do takes this signal before it leaves the ICC and attach some RCA connectors to it, but the signal is only about 1/2 a volt, and I wouldnt want to use anything below a 2v signal to amplify.←I did some testing of the icc on Saturday and found that the ASL mod only outputs 0.4v per channel peak to peak.im now running a 5 channel pre amp between the ICC and my power amps and now shes over 6V pre out needless to say the difference in out put is amazing. even with the gain set to zero on the amps its at the same volume that they had to run on full gain before.
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 7d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 11/07/06 11:16 AM Posted 11/07/06 11:16 AM Hows the quality? Is it amplifying a dodgy signal or is it clean at 0.4V? Any chance of a spectrum analyser image?
caspertt Legacy Donating Member 47 Member For: 20y 7m 3d Gender: Male Location: Toodyay, WA Posted 11/07/06 12:20 PM Author Posted 11/07/06 12:20 PM (edited) shock f6,That sounds very reassuring, I knew there would be a way to get good sound out of the factory player. I wonder mate, do you know what voltage the factory output cabling is without the asl mod, ie is it actually any less??? Edited 11/07/06 12:27 PM by caspertt
shockF6 Legacy Donating Member 478 Member For: 20y 11m 27d Location: Melbourne Posted 11/07/06 12:51 PM Posted 11/07/06 12:51 PM (edited) shock f6,That sounds very reassuring, I knew there would be a way to get good sound out of the factory player. I wonder mate, do you know what voltage the factory output cabling is without the asl mod, ie is it actually any less???←all the asl mod is doing is grabbing the signal before it hits the amplifier stage in the icc. so the signal the factory sub amp would therefor also be 0.4v.as for the sound quality, its as good as most aftermarket head units (with the engine off). Im still working on the alternator whine problem as my car has one of the dogiest ICC's for whine ive ever seen (and ive seen quite a few now).at the moment ive fixed the whine with line isolation transformers but in doing this ive lost some mid bass once I sort it all out ill post up the results Edited 11/07/06 12:52 PM by shockF6
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now