Fat-Tony Legacy Donating Member 5,364 Member For: 20y 6m 12d Posted 07/07/06 08:28 AM Posted 07/07/06 08:28 AM ahhh I remember your throttle body cleaning post, is it possible that you might have damaged a sensor causeing the fly by wire to malfunction
LTSBGY Member 259 Member For: 20y 8m 15d Posted 07/07/06 08:34 AM Author Posted 07/07/06 08:34 AM fly by wire? How could I have damaged it?
Fat-Tony Legacy Donating Member 5,364 Member For: 20y 6m 12d Posted 07/07/06 08:49 AM Posted 07/07/06 08:49 AM not sure just seems odd that you cleaned the t body and now the car is revving by itself, and I know there are sensors n sh*t in there but who knows, just a thought on my behalf
LTSBGY Member 259 Member For: 20y 8m 15d Posted 07/07/06 09:10 AM Author Posted 07/07/06 09:10 AM It was fine the first day. Then last night I clutched it and the revs were stuck up high and started reving high. Switched off the car turned it back on and was ok. It happens if I punch it or do something like that.Nesh
Ford_Power Member 798 Member For: 23y 6m 1d Posted 07/07/06 09:23 AM Posted 07/07/06 09:23 AM Sounds to me like a possible TPS fault?Cheers,Ross
LTSBGY Member 259 Member For: 20y 8m 15d Posted 07/07/06 09:25 AM Author Posted 07/07/06 09:25 AM that's what I want to know. Is it the sensor connected to the throttle body? Has this happened to anyone else? Nesh
bjc Legacy Donating Member 2,823 Member For: 23y 29d Gender: Male Location: Townsville Posted 07/07/06 10:20 AM Posted 07/07/06 10:20 AM that's what I want to know. Is it the sensor connected to the throttle body? Has this happened to anyone else? Nesh←I have a manual xr8 that it happened to over 2 years ago now the car originally started stalling for nothing then one day coming home from work it did the wierd reving up and down. I got home and it stalled in the driveway and when I started it again it was idleing on what felt like 3 cylinders and rattleing and shaking as though it was way out of timing, I couldn't use the throttle at all then it just didn't register.Had the car towed to Southside ford where they replaced the Throttle postion sensor and haven't had a problem since.After that novel my advice is get the TPS checked out and replaced if need be.Brett
xlnt6 Legacy Donating Member 350 Member For: 22y 1d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne, Victoria Posted 07/07/06 10:36 AM Posted 07/07/06 10:36 AM Hi,This is a very common fault on cars once the mileage reaches over 30000 or so. The problem is the stepper motor control in the throttle body. The TPS problem can also be to blame, but often Ford will replace the entire throttle body assembly (including the TPS), so the exact nature of the fault is not known.Cleaning the throttle body is the first thing that's normally tried, but unless you have a absolutely filthy throttle body, then cleaning it will usually do nothing and the problem will reappear in a day or so. Also the problem is definately more prevalent during winter months or if the Air Con is being used, as the throttle control is more sensitive under those load conditions, at or near idle RPM. Due to the way the ECU determines when to seek idle vs speed, the problem is also more prevalent when unloading the car at speed and letting the speed drop. ie cruising up to a stop light by knocking the car into neutral while still doing a reasonable speed. Also this problem occurs much more in manual cars, as the auto maintains load on the engine during decel.I had this problem myself, swapped the TPS, no difference, only when I change the entire throttle body did it fix the fault. Has NEVER stalled since. Ford have changed hundreds of throttle bodies under factory warranty, so go get em !!!!CheersRobin.
LTSBGY Member 259 Member For: 20y 8m 15d Posted 07/07/06 12:28 PM Author Posted 07/07/06 12:28 PM Thanx for the help and info guys. Let see what ford says.Nesh
Paranormal Member 469 Member For: 23y 1m 8d Location: Brissy Posted 07/07/06 12:41 PM Posted 07/07/06 12:41 PM Hmm drive by wire throttle, was always wondering if some day things could go wrong. I mean if your old cable pedal got stuck full throttle you could always get toe of your foot under and pull it up or bang on it a couple of times but drive by wire, hang on for the ride especially in an auto with no clutch.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now