muncher Member 42 Member For: 20y 6m 24d Location: Bay of Plenty, NZ Posted 24/05/06 08:25 PM Posted 24/05/06 08:25 PM Hi AllBeen filling up with Shells new economical go go juice. Noticed the other day that the RON rating is 95. Never noticed before because the Shell station I go to always fills it up for me, I just go inside and read the mags. Looked at the Mobil station I used to use and it's perf go go is 98. I thought all standard fuel was 91RON and perf was 98RON guess I was being a bit Just wanted to share this with you all. Oh and I couldn't see any fuel saving using the Shell stuff, if there was it was small......................muncher
GOLDIE My new toy Legacy Donating Member 5,344 Member For: 23y 5m 13d Gender: Male Location: stanthorpe wine capital of qld. Posted 24/05/06 08:35 PM Posted 24/05/06 08:35 PM You will find they are just trying to push 95 has they make more money out of it . That is the oil companies not the servo.I think you will also find that 91 will disappear soon.
ColinT Legacy Donating Member 372 Member For: 21y 8m 4d Posted 24/05/06 08:55 PM Posted 24/05/06 08:55 PM The 91 was suppost to be gone 5 years ago. The government was so slow as usual in acting.They prob use the 95 in yours because they know the recommended fuel is 95 or higher.I am about to fill with Shells new 95 economy fuel today, only comes in 92 and 95RON. I keep accurate records of klm's travelled and economy, so I can put the claims to the test. I've read their press realease for the new fuel. What a pathetic statement. The car tested gained 55% improvement over the manufactures measured fuel usage. Of couse it would. THe manufactures was done in accordance with the Australian standard. The shell test (using the shell guidelines) which I can't find a copy of achieved a better result. I'm not going to drive around with the A/C off and take it out of gear to roll down hills. that's the sort of thing they might do to prove a point.I guess by now you might think I'm cynical about the press release, but they should make public their guide lines for saving fuel at the same time.
Iconic Bionic My engine bay is Bionic Legacy Donating Member 3,726 Member For: 20y 6m 16d Gender: Male Location: Freeways Posted 24/05/06 11:06 PM Posted 24/05/06 11:06 PM After running Shell Optimax (RON98) for the past 5 years on 2 different cars, Astra and T, ive switched to Caltex Vortex (Ron 95 not 98) and I find a touch more oomph. I dont no why but im sticking with it.
Falchoon I see red Member 5,758 Member For: 23y 9m 18d Location: nowhere in particular Posted 25/05/06 10:05 AM Posted 25/05/06 10:05 AM After running Shell Optimax (RON98) for the past 5 years on 2 different cars, Astra and T, ive switched to Caltex Vortex (Ron 95 not 98) and I find a touch more oomph. I dont no why but im sticking with it.←There was a thread here a while back (Dagabond will find it) where a workshop (MRT I think?) tested a bunch of different fuels and found that Vortex 98 was best.
phantomchic Just because it is, doesn't mean it should be..... Legacy Donating Member 14,092 Member For: 22y 23d Gender: Female Location: Noosa QLD Posted 25/05/06 12:55 PM Posted 25/05/06 12:55 PM Shell Optimax (98) only,,,I never run any less than 98 shazzy
JBomb3000 Legacy Donating Member 875 Member For: 20y 10m 15d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 25/05/06 01:11 PM Posted 25/05/06 01:11 PM I couldn't notice any difference at all in power between Shell optimax 98 and BP's normal 95 RON premium, but I'm getting better economy with the BP 95. Go figure.
SHOCK Team Grandpa Legacy Donating Member 1,921 Member For: 20y 5m 5d Gender: Male Location: Hunter Valley Posted 27/05/06 02:19 AM Posted 27/05/06 02:19 AM BP 98 ALL THE WAY
Phevor Member 124 Member For: 20y 8m 1d Location: Melbourne Posted 27/05/06 02:34 AM Posted 27/05/06 02:34 AM Isn't it recommended to stay using the same fuel and from the same service stations chain so your not constantly changing different fuel mixtures increasing engine wear or is this just total bollocks? I mainly use 98RON from BP ultimate and Shell Optimax (mostly) and either lower fuel grade when a bit light on the cash
SAMSXR6T Member 685 Member For: 21y 7m 25d Gender: Male Location: CENTRAL COAST Posted 27/05/06 05:37 AM Posted 27/05/06 05:37 AM vortex 98.. I havent tried any other fuel. only catlex.. I couldnt comment on the other suppliers...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now