Phoon Hoon Member 156 Member For: 21y 5m 28d Posted 19/02/06 06:13 AM Posted 19/02/06 06:13 AM Hi allHave just returned from a car cruise over the weekend with a mate who owns a new HSV Clubbie. We live in south-west Sydney. Went through Mittagong and down to Kangaroo Valley, then across to Berri and south to Bateman’s Bay for lunch at the Golf Club. We then went to Braidwood (had a beer at the hotel) and onto Queanbeyan, where we stayed the night. Home the next day after a photo shoot at the Lake George lookout.Besides being a great trip, it was a good chance to compare the two cars – some similarities and many differences. We had a period of time (about 100km) where we swapped cars.I can’t talk much about 0-100 accelleration, but the two cars are probably about the same. The area where my auto Phoon kills the clubbie is on rolling acceleration. When we were overtaking other cars (launching from about 100km/hr) I left him for dead.This was really noticeable through the drive from Bateman’s Bay to Braidwood. An awesome drive – about 60km of good quality, up and down winding road with enough straights to get the power down effectively.Scott led the way and coming out of corners on full acceleration, I needed to stop and slow down for fear of ramming him up the back! He said the same thing when we swapped cars – the Typhoon’s engine/auto combination ensured brilliant, efficient powerdown that the Clubbie couldn’t match.Driving the two cars, one after the other, made the differences really apparent. The FPV was much smoother, quieter and seemed more solid on the road.The HSV was noisier, didn’t seem as well balanced and less responsive with higher speed accelleration. I must confess, my lack of experience with the Clubbie 6 speed manual might be partly to blame for this. Countering this, however, was the confession from Scott that he felt the same!I must also say that the Clubbie’s tyres were better than my standard Dunlops. Has anyone else found this?Also, the Clubbie killed my car for fuel economy. Over a 700km trip, the C/S managed 10.9L/100km, whereas my Phoon only returned figures of 13.1!! I’m hoping that this will improve when my engine beds in. I’ve only done 4,000km in mine – The HSV had 18,000kms on it.As a side light, when we were at Lake George, an American tourist and his wife stopped as well. He saw my car and said that it was the best car he’d ever seen! I showed him inside and he even took video footage of the engine and interior to show his mates!! Said many people would kill for one of these in the States!I have included a photo at the Lake George lookout.Hope you enjoyed this read.Claytonhttp://img91.imageshack.us/img91/1148/lg8yu.jpg
Romulus Legacy Donating Member 1,279 Member For: 21y 9m 4d Location: Perth Posted 19/02/06 06:25 AM Posted 19/02/06 06:25 AM Good feedback. Interesting to compare 2 cars of the same calibre. I wonder how much difference the comparo would have made if the clubbie was an auto?I think you'll find the tyres fitted on the HSV's are probably the highest spec you can get - and are a requirement on the HSV to be able to keep up with the FPV.
F6BF Member 438 Member For: 20y 9m 26d Location: Sydney Posted 19/02/06 06:28 AM Posted 19/02/06 06:28 AM Nice write up.....thanks for sharing
FPV 521 FPV521 Member 989 Member For: 22y 1m 3d Gender: Male Posted 19/02/06 06:53 AM Posted 19/02/06 06:53 AM Some great info there, I went from a 4 stage auto Turbo to my six speed manual GT and am still learning how to get the best out of it, done 1000 km so far and am getting quicker launches etc. Has been fun learning all over again.So apart from fuel ecomomy the Ford kicked it.. that's great
Guest newl Guests Posted 19/02/06 01:29 PM Posted 19/02/06 01:29 PM As a side light, when we were at Lake George, an American tourist and his wife stopped as well. He saw my car and said that it was the best car he’d ever seen! I showed him inside and he even took video footage of the engine and interior to show his mates!! Said many people would kill for one of these in the States!<{POST_SNAPBACK}>They are indeed. My old man wanted a Turbo after I showed him what I owned. Now that I've got the Typhoon, he wants one of those even more and thinks it'd be a real seller in the U.S. My sisters boyfriend is a drag nut too and he wants a Typhoon as well.
Flukey Seriously Flukey Member Legacy Donating Member 4,354 Member For: 22y 6m 17d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 19/02/06 01:41 PM Posted 19/02/06 01:41 PM Nice write up.....thanks for sharing
SavageF6 Legacy Donating Member 1,622 Member For: 22y 5m 19d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 20/02/06 04:44 AM Posted 20/02/06 04:44 AM Interesting reading there hoon, cheers.
Blonk Iconoclast Legacy Donating Member 4,330 Member For: 22y 11d Gender: Male Location: CH Posted 01/03/06 11:20 AM Posted 01/03/06 11:20 AM FPV beats HSV - Now there was really no big suprises there hey lads.......
ParadoX Member 73 Member For: 20y 10m 15d Posted 01/03/06 12:13 PM Posted 01/03/06 12:13 PM Nice write up.....thanks for sharing <{POST_SNAPBACK}> <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Excellent write up, thanks for sharing the differences of the 2...
harvyk Member 1,070 Member For: 21y 7m 7d Location: The North Cooma End of Canberra... Posted 02/03/06 01:56 AM Posted 02/03/06 01:56 AM You basically went on the drive that my wife and I like to do (when ever we get a spare weekend) except we tend to drive to Bateman's Bay and then up the coast to Sydney and then back to Canberra... A beautiful (and fun) bit of road that...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now