fraggle Yes I am too tall for my hair Member 261 Member For: 22y 8d Location: Launceston Tasmania. Posted 15/10/05 12:13 PM Posted 15/10/05 12:13 PM (edited) I am looking at getting a bulge for the T the info I am wanting is fibre glass bonnet's that are avaliable, are they of good quality or do they need a lot of prep work before they are ready to be painted.None of the tassie bodyworks have seen these bonnets and they all want to see one before they will say how much to paintSo helpful info guys and yes the insurance company DOES NOT have a problem with it Pricing so far $ 650 fibre glass or $ 1500 steel $ 250 - $290 paint+fit plus prep work if any none for the steel The fibre glass is by far the most cost effective but that will be blown out if there is a lot of prep work involved.Asked the people who sell them and they said " No prep work they are ready to paint" I've heard that before Thanks in advanceStuart Edited 15/10/05 12:17 PM by fraggle
phantomchic Just because it is, doesn't mean it should be..... Legacy Donating Member 14,092 Member For: 22y 27d Gender: Female Location: Noosa QLD Posted 15/10/05 12:40 PM Posted 15/10/05 12:40 PM Pretty sure Eugenes is fibre glasslooks spot on!! He may have some advice for you!shazzy
stang Legacy Donating Member 1,353 Member For: 22y 8m 19d Location: Melbourne Posted 15/10/05 12:53 PM Posted 15/10/05 12:53 PM I was in the same situation ,have decided to go steel,reason one ADR compiance the fibreglass ones wont be,reason two have heard stories about warping ,cracking and where the struts get attatched cracking there.If you do get fibreglass make sure you get the srtuts that have a bit less resistance for example AWC will sell the bonnets with replacement struts where as others will say its ok to use your old ones.
xrdreaming Legacy Donating Member 1,693 Member For: 23y 8m 10d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 15/10/05 10:31 PM Posted 15/10/05 10:31 PM I've got a fireglass one, it's cracked along the front and warped on both sides, (it sits high and lets a lot of dust and crap into the engine bay)It was fine when I put it on but after 6 months it started to warp and cracked just by closing the bonnet one day and now has a 1 foot crack along the front edge. I have had it for 15 months now and it just gets worse, not sure if it's the heat from the turbo but that is whats happened.I purchased lighter struts with it when I bought it. If I had my time over again I would go metal or carbon fibre.I will be refitting my standard bonnet soon.
FPV TRANNY Im the one and only Legacy Donating Member 3,557 Member For: 21y 9m 2d Gender: Male Location: In my house Posted 15/10/05 11:05 PM Posted 15/10/05 11:05 PM Spend the money and go the steel bonnet.I bought a fibreglass front bar from AWC and it needed preping as there was alot of platercine left in it after released from the mould.
fraggle Yes I am too tall for my hair Member 261 Member For: 22y 8d Location: Launceston Tasmania. Posted 16/10/05 02:27 AM Author Posted 16/10/05 02:27 AM I've got a fireglass one, it's cracked along the front and warped on both sides, (it sits high and lets a lot of dust and crap into the engine bay)It was fine when I put it on but after 6 months it started to warp and cracked just by closing the bonnet one day and now has a 1 foot crack along the front edge. I have had it for 15 months now and it just gets worse, not sure if it's the heat from the turbo but that is whats happened.I purchased lighter struts with it when I bought it. If I had my time over again I would go metal or carbon fibre.I will be refitting my standard bonnet soon.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Was this an AWC bonnet I suppose they are all made at the same place as I dont think AWC make them but source them from else where Thanks for the input people keep them coming
xrdreaming Legacy Donating Member 1,693 Member For: 23y 8m 10d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 16/10/05 05:12 AM Posted 16/10/05 05:12 AM I got mine from Sydney Special Vehicles, the problem seems to be that most suppliers only warranty on fibreglass bonnets is if you reject it before fitting.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now