shockwavexr6t Member 50 Member For: 21y 6m 2d Posted 14/10/05 03:13 AM Posted 14/10/05 03:13 AM Hi everyone I've done a bit of searching but unable to find any info or feedback with changing the diff gears.I believe the xr6t auto runs 3.4 diff gear and the manuals about 3.7. I'm considering changing my diff gears to 4.11's. This I believe will give better acceleration of the line but you lose abit of top end.I know that you are able to recalibrate the speedo with the edit once changed.Just what to know if anyone has gone down this path or is considering it.Did they notice a difference?Your feedback would be appricatedcheers
rushed6 Member 137 Member For: 21y 1m 12d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 14/10/05 04:29 AM Posted 14/10/05 04:29 AM from past 4 11's will make a huge difference prob only feesable if you were gonna drag you car all the time, it will rev its *beep* off on the free way
rushed6 Member 137 Member For: 21y 1m 12d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 14/10/05 04:30 AM Posted 14/10/05 04:30 AM sorry just add this but yes it will launch and you will notice it I seen the kit advertised on ebay and was thinking about giving it ago but I thought the 4 11's might be to much. but prove me wrong
mickq Member 740 Member For: 23y 5m 13d Posted 14/10/05 04:33 AM Posted 14/10/05 04:33 AM Oops...brain fart. See post below.
mickq Member 740 Member For: 23y 5m 13d Posted 14/10/05 04:38 AM Posted 14/10/05 04:38 AM Are you in an auto or manual?What im writing below is mostly relevant to the manual:The reason I ask is that yes the acceleration will be lots better, but you will also likely find if you are in a manual you will need 3rd gear to reach 100kmh which means you lose time on a gear change - which isnt good for 0-100 times.At the moment the Mk1 5 speed gets about 110kmh in first and the Mk2 6 speed about 115-120 (cant remember but will look again this arvo). Dropping the diff will mean a quick change into 3rd, a spurt of acceleration and then you will be at 100kmh. Hard to say if you waill have a better time, but in general an extra gear change isnt desirable. Id do the sums to work out the max speed in each gear and see if you can live with it. There are progs on the internet that can tell you that. It will also impact freeway speed cruising as in the Mk1 5th is pretty well callibrated to allow good acceleration at 100kmh but still be economical. 6th in the Mk2 is the same, although really only accelerates well at 120kmh. You may find your freeway cruising isnt as good economy wise, although I think the 6 speed will be less impacted than the 6 speed.
F6 RAPID Formerly Turbo6 Legacy Donating Member 2,332 Member For: 23y 8m 28d Location: North Brisbane Posted 14/10/05 07:37 AM Posted 14/10/05 07:37 AM At the moment the Mk1 5 speed gets about 110kmh in first and the Mk2 6 speed about 115-120 (cant remember but will look again this arvo). Holy crap Mick! My manual ute doesn't do 110kmh in first!!! Nor does my phoon do 115-120 !!Me thinks you meant 2nd......
Trough Lolly Member 4,349 Member For: 22y 27d Gender: Male Location: Mildura Posted 14/10/05 07:50 AM Posted 14/10/05 07:50 AM adam runs a 9.98sec 1/4 with stock gearing... nuff said.
jordak Member 1,226 Member For: 22y 3m 26d Posted 14/10/05 08:02 AM Posted 14/10/05 08:02 AM adam runs a 9.98sec 1/4 with stock gearing... nuff said.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought Adam was running a three speed box so doesn't that change things a little ?
rboksic Legacy Donating Member 514 Member For: 22y 5m 6d Posted 14/10/05 09:29 AM Posted 14/10/05 09:29 AM adam runs a 9.98sec 1/4 with stock gearing... nuff said.I thought Adam was running a three speed box so doesn't that change things a little ? Drive or 3rd gear is still 1:1 gearingthe diference will be 1st and 2 nd gearing Rob
shockwavexr6t Member 50 Member For: 21y 6m 2d Posted 14/10/05 09:57 AM Author Posted 14/10/05 09:57 AM I know some blokes that have changed their diff gears in ford xr8 utes and have had great results a the calder drags. and one of them has run a 12.69 pass unopen motor. So maybe diff gear have some advantages.All I'm looking at is other options to make these things go harder of the line.and yes my is a manual 6 speedcheers
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now