Diff Gears 4.11's

shockwavexr6t

• Member For: 18y 11m 25d

Hi everyone

I've done a bit of searching but unable to find any info or feedback with changing the diff gears.

I believe the xr6t auto runs 3.4 diff gear and the manuals about 3.7. I'm considering changing my diff gears to 4.11's. This I believe will give better acceleration of the line but you lose abit of top end.

I know that you are able to recalibrate the speedo with the edit once changed.

Just what to know if anyone has gone down this path or is considering it.

Did they notice a difference?

Your feedback would be appricated

cheers

• Member For: 18y 7m 5d

sorry just add this but yes it will launch and you will notice it I seen the kit advertised on ebay and was thinking about giving it ago but I thought the 4 11's might be to much. but prove me wrong

• Member For: 20y 11m 6d

Are you in an auto or manual?

What im writing below is mostly relevant to the manual:

The reason I ask is that yes the acceleration will be lots better, but you will also likely find if you are in a manual you will need 3rd gear to reach 100kmh which means you lose time on a gear change - which isnt good for 0-100 times.

At the moment the Mk1 5 speed gets about 110kmh in first and the Mk2 6 speed about 115-120 (cant remember but will look again this arvo). Dropping the diff will mean a quick change into 3rd, a spurt of acceleration and then you will be at 100kmh.

Hard to say if you waill have a better time, but in general an extra gear change isnt desirable.

Id do the sums to work out the max speed in each gear and see if you can live with it. There are progs on the internet that can tell you that.

It will also impact freeway speed cruising as in the Mk1 5th is pretty well callibrated to allow good acceleration at 100kmh but still be economical. 6th in the Mk2 is the same, although really only accelerates well at 120kmh. You may find your freeway cruising isnt as good economy wise, although I think the 6 speed will be less impacted than the 6 speed.

• Formerly Turbo6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 2m 20d
At the moment the Mk1 5 speed gets about 110kmh in first and the Mk2 6 speed about 115-120 (cant remember but will look again this arvo).

Holy crap Mick! My manual ute doesn't do 110kmh in first!!! Nor does my phoon do 115-120 !!

Me thinks you meant 2nd...... :laughing:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 10m 27d
adam runs a 9.98sec 1/4 with stock gearing... nuff said.

I thought Adam was running a three speed box so doesn't that change things a little ?

Drive or 3rd gear is still 1:1 gearing

the diference will be 1st and 2 nd gearing

Rob

• Member For: 18y 11m 25d

I know some blokes that have changed their diff gears in ford xr8 utes and have had great results a the calder drags. and one of them has run a 12.69 pass unopen motor. So maybe diff gear have some advantages.

All I'm looking at is other options to make these things go harder of the line.

and yes my is a manual 6 speed

cheers