Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 21d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Newcastle NSW
Posted
Has anyone reverse engineered these things ?.

For the price they can't be anything more than a few passive components .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All they are a resistor that can be switched on and off, the voltage to solinoid 5 from memory needs lowered to increase the line pressure on shifts, both up and down.

I have not measured the voltage but it would not be hard to do, there is a power supply, the two switching wires with a switch, an earth and the interceptor wires that go in the tranny control plug from the ecu, the wire is cut, so the box tells the ecu all is good, and then sends a signal (lower voltage) to the soliniod 5 which then hold line presure.

I have had one for about 9 months in mine, without it I know my box would be rooted, I have had about 15 runs down the stripp and have now done 50,000km in 12 month, most of which with between 260-290 rwkw. the box still feels good, no slip and without it turned on, is a horrid, flaring slusher.

I dont know if I would bother trying to reverse engineer one of these, at $70. I think they are pretty well priced, if they were $200. I would build one, it depends on how handy you are.

I can measure the voltage difference if you like, let me know.

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 10m 2d
Posted

Thanks for the detailed response .

I also just found some info on MechanicalForums.com .

Apparently the resisitors are to limit the current to S5 to increase line pressure as you have said. At least that was for earlier model Falcons. I assume the BA's are very similar.

You are right , they are quite reasonable for the price.

Electronic repair/installation is my day job !.

cheers

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 1m 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Victoria
Posted

hey just installed mine today easy as to do could not be happier with it for 70 buck ya cant loose but if your a tight ass build one your self it does the trick

  • Mad Scientist
  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 10m 8d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vic
Posted
hey just installed mine today easy as to do could not be happier with it for 70 buck ya cant loose but if your a tight ass build one your self it does the trick

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

can u tell me how they were wired up? was it just 2 wires to the ECU??

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 1m 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Victoria
Posted
hey just installed mine today easy as to do could not be happier with it for 70 buck ya cant loose but if your a tight ass build one your self it does the trick

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

can u tell me how they were wired up? was it just 2 wires to the ECU??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dunno why you need it but its one of the wires under the ecu you take the plug off closest t the fire wall and cut it in half but you also need the power wire from the actual ecu loom easy as to find man.

  • Mad Scientist
  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 10m 8d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vic
Posted
hey just installed mine today easy as to do could not be happier with it for 70 buck ya cant loose but if your a tight ass build one your self it does the trick

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

can u tell me how they were wired up? was it just 2 wires to the ECU??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dunno why you need it but its one of the wires under the ecu you take the plug off closest t the fire wall and cut it in half but you also need the power wire from the actual ecu loom easy as to find man.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cheers, just wondering as I made one for my EF, I was just wondering if it would work on the BA's as well.

thanks again.

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 1m 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Victoria
Posted
So does it firm up the mushy shifts at part throttle openings as well ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it is like having a shift kit put in your transmission the same feeling

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...