Mals BA XR6T Member 381 Member For: 23y 10m 8d Location: Sydney Posted 28/04/03 01:07 AM Posted 28/04/03 01:07 AM I think this has been covered before... but some time ago.Anyway, I started the car the other morning, and just as it started I let the key bounce back to "on", it stalled straight away, and like a waterfall in a gravity free zone, a stream of smoke flowed from under the bonnet .Anyway, it seemed to idle really high, so I drove it to ford. Anyway, they tell me it's a common problem, and that "a cap" had come off near the turbo, and needed to put back on. Fixed in 30 minutes!What's this all about, anyone know?
scott52 Member 188 Member For: 23y 9m 16d Gender: Male Location: Perth, W.A. Posted 28/04/03 01:24 AM Posted 28/04/03 01:24 AM it is usually the crankcase ventillation hose behind the turbo pipes at the back of the engine. it sometimes blows off when starting the car. causes a puff of white smoke and the cars idles at about 2000 rpm because it is sucking air. it's happened to me three times. fixed it by installing a hose clamp
XR6TK1W1 Member 435 Member For: 23y 6m 16d Location: Wellington NZ Posted 28/04/03 09:10 AM Posted 28/04/03 09:10 AM Maybe that's what all those free rubber bands were for!! To tie around the pipe if it blew off. Good old Ford huh, always thinking.
mickq Member 740 Member For: 23y 5m 19d Posted 07/05/03 01:53 PM Posted 07/05/03 01:53 PM I had this happen, and it took my car off the road for 5 days over the easter period. I was not a happy chappy, especially since I expected the wonderful Ford Roadside Assistance people could come visit me and at least check to see if it was a small problem, and if it was fix it on site.No such thing....they insisted it be towed to a dealer "the roadside people dont carry spares..." and since it happened on Good Friday, the dealers were not open until Tuesday. I can not believe that on the busiest driving weekend of the year there was not one Ford service center open, even on the Saturday. Of course, every single dealer was open, happy to see you a car...just not the service center 10m away from the dealer showroom....
Gareth Member 71 Member For: 23y 9m 3d Posted 14/05/03 11:16 AM Posted 14/05/03 11:16 AM This happened to me over Easter too! I started the car and it backfired, heaps of smoke came from everywhere! I figured it must have come out of the blow off valve.... It also blew apart a vacuum hose, which I put back together.the car started again and I've done about 3,000 k's with no further problem.Weird!
mickq Member 740 Member For: 23y 5m 19d Posted 15/05/03 02:27 PM Posted 15/05/03 02:27 PM The smoke is caused by a small dump of oil onto the engine/exhuast when the tube pops off. No big deal when this happens, although it DID have me worried when it first occurred!
CJF077 The Noble Leader Administrator 4,792 Member For: 23y 11m 29d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Australia Posted 15/05/03 11:35 PM Posted 15/05/03 11:35 PM Maybe thats what all those free rubber bands were for!! To tie around the pipe if it blew off. Good old Ford huh, always thinking. haha :lol:
Gareth Member 71 Member For: 23y 9m 3d Posted 16/05/03 06:49 PM Posted 16/05/03 06:49 PM The smoke is caused by a small dump of oil onto the engine/exhuast when the tube pops off. No big deal when this happens, although it DID have me worried when it first occurred! I don't follow this. My car was stone cold when it happened and there was a LOT of smoke, coming thru the cabin and from all around the bonnet. Not just a drop of oil I'm afraid!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now