Wheel Nuts Missing! (long Story)

Cashie

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 10d

I was out driving to the ANZAC Day march this morning and I noticed a very quite droning noise coming from the front of the car (only reason I heard it was because the radio was down as I was on the phone).

My first thought was "oh no a flat" but the car didn't feel down on one tyre.

Pulled over and after investigations found the front left wheel was missing 4 wheel nuts, the lock nut was the only nut left! :blink:

I had driven about 10 kms from home before hearing the noise, I was doing about 80 km/h when I pulled over.

It could have all ended very badly if the wheel had come off! :thumbsup:

Removed one nut from each of the remaining three wheels so I could continue on my way.

Lucky I kept the 4 left over nuts from when I fitted the lock nuts, as I fitted these when I got home. I also removed the wheel to check for damage, there was nothing wrong with the wheel studs, brakes or the wheel. I assume the wheel couldn't have been missing the nuts for too long.

I'm not sure what has happened, either someone has removed them trying to steal the wheel or as a sick joke, or they have somehow worked loose (strange the lock nut was still there).

Well, it has prompted me to investigate the installation of a decent alarm (ie one with a shock sensor etc) to ensure this may not happen again. I know the Ford alarm lacks this feature so can anyone provide any recommendations with approx prices fitted in Melbourne?

Thanks

• Firm Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 6d

The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze. You have to ask why? Why would some tosser come along to your car and do this?

You must be very thankful you bought locking nuts, BTW arent they fitted standard by Ford? They are with 18"s but l would have thought they should be with 17's also. :thumbsup:

• Donating Members
You must be very thankful you bought locking nuts, BTW arent they fitted standard by Ford? They are with 18"s but l would have thought they should be with 17's also. :thumbsup:

Locking nuts are only standard with 18" wheels, not 17" wheels.

Yes I feel they have paid for themselves!

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 8d

Sounds like someone is playing games with you and you had a luck escape.

Try Audio FX in Queensbury Street North Melbourne. Ph : 03 9329 8477 and ask for Tony.

I am having a Viper 500 alarm fitted to wife's Landcruiser next week and it has pretty much all the bells and whistles. They are usually $495 installed and come with lifetime warranty even if you transfer cars in the future. (1 year warranty on the key fobs)

They also have higher level system with pagers and all soughts of things.

Their workmanship is very good, I have had stereo systems and aftermarket cruise controls installed there in the past without any problems.

• Dark Knight Mafia Member No. - 666
  • Member For: 21y 2m 11d

Mate I think you made the right choice buying those lock nuts or else you would have found your car sitting on its rotors instead of minus 4 nuts.

• Member For: 21y 1m 12d

You really have to wonder with some people!! Amazing the wheel never flew off. Your lucky!! And I would hate to see one of these fine machines with even as much of a scratch on them. Excuse me now as I go to buy some lock nuts.

• Donating Members
I added shock sensor to my standard factory alarm for that and fear of glass break entry. cost 50 bucks and just connects to the battery volts and bonnet trigger.

Do you have any photos of your install?

Where did you fit it etc?

Does it work well?

• Member For: 21y 1m 22d

1 It is quite sensitve but hasn't false triggered (also adjustable), gentle bear foot kick to a tyre trips it.

2 I installed it myself its in the engine bay tied to the wiring loom, however it gets very hot and I will move it when I work out somewhere better.

3 No pics its too dodgy!!...ok then but its only temporary remember.

post-3-1051356092.jpg