Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • TRAITOR
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 20d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Townsville, NQ
Posted
I've heard that if you mess around with the origanal BOV you will loose power :nutkick:

That's what I've experienced.

Over the last couple of days I've been doing some tests with a couple of different arrangements.

I was told if I blocked the return line I would get restriction. So, I tried it, and sure enough I went from 7psi of boost, to 3, and the car felt very ordinary.

Unblocked it and voila, got my boost back.

With the return disconnected from the BOV, and unblocked, I noticed a substantial increase in fuel use. Up by 6l/100 nono2.gif

Hooked it all back how it's setup from factory and fuel used drop back again to normal.

I can't explain what causes all the results I've seen, but I'd suggest leaving the BOV as is, or getting an aftermarket plumback BOV if you want the increased noise.

I found no gains in removing the plumback, but rather increased my fuel use.

  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 3m 20d
  • Location: Birkdale
Posted

I can assure you changing the BOV will not affect your power, how can it? Goose doesn't even run the pipe that goes in the intake side of the turbo and it sucks air striaght into the turbo, through the intercooler and when he backs off it vents throught standard BOV and straight into the atmos phere via the hole where that pipe is missing! And at 14.4 for the 400m it isn't losing any power!

ALso my car goes extrememly hard and the BOV doesn't affect it, also the APS phase 3 has a new BOV and obviously doesn't affect power, its just highlights the crapness of the Bosch plstic mould.

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 1m 1d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mildura
Posted

I personally would NEVER pay more than $100 for a BOV, considering they do FUKALL for that much cash..

buy a el-cheapo from autobarn or sumthin.

turbosmart make sum decent BOV's for reasonable prices.

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 3d
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

I think you pay for what you get, the more expensive, you can customise the sound by varying the plumb-back amount, the cheaper ones probably involve a bit more work to get right, unless you like the fully vented rice sound. :thumbsup:

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 3m 20d
  • Location: Birkdale
Posted

The Stealth FX is dear, but its worth it since its the only BOV designed as a factory replacement. Plug and play. And its customizable.

  • 00-XRG / 006-FPV
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 10m 3d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane, QLD
Posted
I think you pay for what you get, the more expensive, you can customise the sound by varying the plumb-back amount, the cheaper ones probably involve a bit more work to get right, unless you like the fully vented rice sound. :banghead:

The Stealth FX is the only BOV on the market that allows you to adjust how much vents to atmo or plumbed back. All the other units available only do one or the other. The only thing you can do to some is change the trumpet to get a different pssst sound.

I reckon the Stealth FX is the way to go, because if you ever get pulled over by the Constabulary, you can just twist the end and bammo she's full plumb back, nice and legal.

As for the lose of power when playing with the stocko BOV, sounds strange, but I wouldn't put it past Ford.

Adam

  • Im the one and only
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 9m 2d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: In my house
Posted

How much for the stealth set up?

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 2m 8d
  • Gender: Female
Posted

Sounds good, might give it a go.

How much for a standard aftermarket BOV and how much mucking around to fit one from auto barn, supercheap ect?? :banghead:

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 3m 20d
  • Location: Birkdale
Posted

Well there aren't a great deal of options out there - which is why I jumped on the Stealth because it was advertised as being made to fit the XR6 Turbo. Typically the sell for $500 or more in Autobarn, but you can order them off the net for $100 less. You still need to order two adaptors for 25mm hose, they come standard with 30mm adaptors.

Whole setup will cost less then $500 off the net and only takes 20mins to install.

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 2m 8d
  • Gender: Female
Posted

Thanks rednut, I'll do a bit of E-bay surfing.

Sounds like a good way to have a bit more fun when out cruising! :banghead:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...