Lumpen Poison Fish. Poison Fish. TASTY FISH!!! Legacy Donating Member 5,181 Member For: 23y 6m 25d Gender: Male Location: The Bogan Shire Posted 20/02/05 01:08 PM Posted 20/02/05 01:08 PM Watched I.Robot this evening.As far as a production goes, I think it was done quite well. Very advanced CGI and with a decent dose of humour and action to compliment it. I think it would've be VERY impressive on Big Screen (or at least something better than a 68cm Square Tube)However, it got me thinking more of decent Sci-Fi writers and fiction. I haven't really read all THAT many, but I did read and was absolutely enthralled with Asimov's 'Foundation' series. I thought they were absolutely brilliant. I went on to read alot of his other works as well, like the assorted Robot ones, such as I.Robot and Bicentennial Man.I did have a bit of a read of 'Ray Bradbury' but I personally didn't really rate it. The big one I think I read was 'The Painted Man', which was interesting but I didn't really get into it.I was thinking, are there any Sci Fi buffs out there? (Furries, you cna stay WELL away). Do you reccomend any decent sci-fi reading (going to get some copies of Foundation on the morrow methinks)Look forward to some replies...Cheers,Lumpy
Cro Flower Power Legacy Donating Member 6,114 Member For: 24y Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 20/02/05 01:13 PM Posted 20/02/05 01:13 PM Not a book I don't think, but if you're into UFO's Roswell, etc.. check out Taken.http://www.scifi.com/taken/20 hours of DVD to watch. I liked it the first time so I bought it :D
plonky The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium Member 1,766 Member For: 23y 6m 1d Location: Dodge Scat Pack Posted 20/02/05 01:18 PM Posted 20/02/05 01:18 PM A huge Dune fan...and the John Carter on Mars series of Edgar Rice Burroughs takes me back to the very early '80's
Lumpen Poison Fish. Poison Fish. TASTY FISH!!! Legacy Donating Member 5,181 Member For: 23y 6m 25d Gender: Male Location: The Bogan Shire Posted 20/02/05 01:53 PM Author Posted 20/02/05 01:53 PM Not a book I don't think, but if you're into UFO's Roswell, etc.. check out Taken.http://www.scifi.com/taken/20 hours of DVD to watch. I liked it the first time so I bought it :D<Too lazy to read link>Is this the series that is loosely based on 'UFO' reports over the last 50 or so years?I've heard there's something along those lines that's actually quite good....
sixfan Flaccid Member Legacy Donating Member 2,503 Member For: 23y 4m 19d Gender: Male Location: NOONAMAH, go figure..... Posted 20/02/05 02:13 PM Posted 20/02/05 02:13 PM Good topic:David Brinsundiver, starts a great series of books about mankind in a galaxy full of life where humanity is the outsider.the postman (the movie was absolute sh1t! read the book) all time favorite of mine and I'm a big Sci- Fi buff. David is a nuclear pysicist (sp! )so the science adds up pretty well, but he's also an excellent story teller with who knows what makes people tick.Harry Harrison:Good for a laugh; the stainless steel rat series (I think you'd enjoy this one) is an all time classic.Consider Pheobas, Use of weapons, player of games (and others)...Can't remember the author's name, but an exellent set of stories based around the "culture" set in the far future.
Cro Flower Power Legacy Donating Member 6,114 Member For: 24y Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 20/02/05 09:14 PM Posted 20/02/05 09:14 PM Not a book I don't think, but if you're into UFO's Roswell, etc.. check out Taken.http://www.scifi.com/taken/20 hours of DVD to watch. I liked it the first time so I bought it :D<{POST_SNAPBACK}><Too lazy to read link>Is this the series that is loosely based on 'UFO' reports over the last 50 or so years?I've heard there's something along those lines that's actually quite good....<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yup. From Roswell in 47 to present day.It focuses on 3 different families who don't know eachother exist and tells their tale of their experiences.One family is part of the Air ForceOne family becomes alien/human hybridOne Family keeps getting abducted and keeps fighting backAll these family join together throughout the movie.The stuff you get to see whilst watching the air force parts is amazing. I recommend this movie to anyone who's into this type of thing.The only 3 problems with it:1. There are two movies on each DVD, you need to manually flick over to the 2nd one before you watch the next DVD.2. It'll take 20 hours of your time3. Only available from Video Ezy
Blown BA In Your Face Member 6,195 Member For: 23y 7m 1d Gender: Male Location: Peninsula Posted 21/02/05 05:32 AM Posted 21/02/05 05:32 AM The only Sci Fic l liked was Lost In Space
BA_Turbs Member 836 Member For: 23y 1m 20d Gender: Male Posted 22/02/05 12:35 AM Posted 22/02/05 12:35 AM Try Kim Stanley Robinson and the "Mars Trilogy" (Red, Green & Blue Mars). Not sci-fi per-say, more a social commentry based around the colonisation of Mars.Great books, makes me want to visit there one day...
Trumpy What's happening? Legacy Donating Member 1,605 Member For: 23y 10m 6d Gender: Male Location: Steel City, NSW Posted 22/02/05 12:58 AM Posted 22/02/05 12:58 AM Try Kim Stanley Robinson and the "Mars Trilogy" (Red, Green & Blue Mars). Not sci-fi per-say, more a social commentry based around the colonisation of Mars.Great books, makes me want to visit there one day...<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for that reminder! I read Red Mars a while back, and never got around to reading the others. Must chase them up.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now