Brake Replacement.

Guest falchoon58

Guest falchoon58
  • Guests

To all the guy's and girl's out there with turbo's on standard brakes. If your car has experienced what has become extremely common, ie disc rotor run-out(warping) and your car has experienced this problem with under 5000km, then your Ford dealer is obliged to "replace" not "machine" the disc rotors. Ford will cover replacement of rotors that have covered less than 5000km. Any dealer "machining" rotors is not doing the right thing in looking after the customer. Here in Sydney, all but a few dealers are RJV(Retail Joint Venture) which basically means that Ford Australia either own a percentage of the dealership or hold a majority holding in the dealerships. Therefore, any excusses from Sydney dealers is basically an attempt to "play-down" this problem; which is huge when you concider the percentage of turbo's affected. Ford has yet to come to terms with dealing with private buyers, after all these years playing to the company fleets, but if they continue this blatant disregard for private buyers, they may find that these buyers purchase elsewhere in the future.

By the way, my turbo has now had five(5), yes five replacement sets of disc rotors, and now they have just replaced my front disc calipers(and pads)!

My car has 8000km! It is a major problem, and if the rest of the turbo owners do not bring this to Fords attention and pass on their discust at this problem, they will just sit on their hands and wait for owners to go to the after-market. We as owners have to be more pro-active, so that Ford takes this problem seriously, and so they produce a "fix" for the problem, rather than just replacing disc rotors. I'm plenty peeved at this fault, and especially that nothing(apart from replacing disc) has been done to rectify the problem It does'nt take three months to produce a better quality disc material.

The other drama is the fact that this fault is related to safety. What happens when this problem causes a fatality due to lack of effective brakes, as this brake shudder causes pad "knock-back" (were the brake pedal drops) which has almost caught me out once, almost lead to a collision at only 50km/h!

I use my car everyday to transport my kids, and it has only ever done peak-hour traffic apart from a trip up the coast during Christmas. My car is definitely not being driven anywhere near hard.

I reckon that lots of e-mails, phone calls to Ford Customer Service, and even Head office will result in some positive action from Ford, but the drama is that we as owners have to make the effort.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 21y 6m 6d

I coudn't agree more. I am just unsure of the best approach. I certainly won't be paying for aftermarket when I sure premium would solve a problem they Ford caused themselves by being cheap. Premium should be standard for the 1.75t turbo if the standard arn't adequate as they don't appear to be.

Can't we email a petition so they Know how wide spreed this is.

• Member For: 21y 10m 19d

This is definitely a widespread issue - the percentage of members just on here who have complained about this problem is quite high.

I brought this topic up when I last spoke to my dealer and he had heard of the brake shudder problems. My car is not due for delivery for another 3 weeks but I made him aware that I wanted prompt action if I experienced the same issue. He assured me that Ford were working on it and a fix will be forthcoming. He also agreed that forking out 3K for premiums to avoid these problems was not the answer.

If you're having problems, make a fuss. Don't accept machining and demand replacements.

NT TURBO is right lets do a petition some how that hurts or gets to the right spot at Ford. With the clout this forum has now in numbers bloody hell, we surley have to make them listen. Mabey a thret to expose the isituation to joe public?

Guest Craig
  • Guests

I agree - lets organise a petition.

Can someone from our sponsor (Westpoint) please make comment - I would love to hear their opinion!!

• Member For: 21y 6m 1d

I agree something organised needs to be done. This problem is not confined to just XRs but one which has been a problem on the BA from day 1.

To give an example back in September last year I was part of the "BA 24 hour test drive" whereby you registered with Ford and they provided an XT for 24 hours. You then took part in a feedback survey etc....

I picked the car up (had about 2000 KMS on it) drove about 200 metres up the road and discovered a badly pulsing brake pedal. Drove straight back to the yard and told the PR person that I would rather have a vehicle without warped discs!

She apologised, told me she would report it to the service manager and got the keys to another BA.

I did about 300kms for the 24 hours and when I handed it back the next day the brake pedal was beginning to shudder!!! (this car had about 3000 KMS on it from memory).

Needless to say the PR lady said she would relay the fault to the engineers at the factory.

From my experience this appears to be a problem with the disc material. The weight of the car or driving style should not cause this problem. I have raced cars and competed in various event over the past 15 years and have found when punishing a vehicle with inadequate brakes (my XYGT for instance) you tend to lose braking efficiency due to heat which then returns to normal upon cooling. At worst you end up with glazed pads.

It would be interesting to get Fords official response on this ongoing problem!

Guest Rastus
  • Guests
Have any XR8 drivers had this problem?

I haven't as yet, but the car has only got 1900k on the clock so far. Guessing that XR8's won't be immune.