poida97 Member 124 Member For: 22y 7m 10d Location: Bossley Park, NSW Posted 22/12/04 11:57 PM Posted 22/12/04 11:57 PM Suffered a some what embarracing defeat last night! I pulled up at the lights beside this 1970 something model VW Kombi van. Seriously you could not have put your hand on the car anywhere without touching at least 3 differnt types of undercoat. It had the scratched white steel rims, the spare tyre mounted on the front round tube bull bar, and 2 little exhaust pipes sticking out the back. I hardly gave it a second look.I'm sure the guys in the Kombi were laughing their off! I'm sure they've done it before too! I don't think there was much in the way of Kombi bits in the back, I assume I was beaten (conviningly) by Porsche.I wouldn't be surprised if there was NO Porsche at all in that Kombi- about two years ago my brother owned a Kombi that looked like every other beat up bus from the 70's. The difference is that it was powered by a V6 from a VP. It's actually a fairly common conversion. The only tricky thing is keeping them running cool and that means that you need to mount a radiator somewhere. Only die-hard vee-dub freaks would pick the cleverly disgused bullbar-mounted radiator.I remember lining the thing up next to my mates VT (which went very well for a six) and in first and second gears we were in front- popping the front wheels up in the air. I would not like to be caught by surprise like you were...Talk about a rollercoaster ride.
JB Forum Superhero Legacy Donating Member 3,109 Member For: 22y 10m 13d Location: Eastern Suburbs of Mexico Posted 23/12/04 12:02 AM Posted 23/12/04 12:02 AM
rota Member 8 Member For: 21y 9m 23d Location: Perth Posted 23/12/04 12:07 AM Posted 23/12/04 12:07 AM There are some seriously quick cars out there on the road, most of them being either highly illegal or seriously underbraked. As an all-round package the XR6T is excellent value for money.I do own 2 rotary's (an R100 and a 10 second RX-7) but at the end of the day they rarely, if ever get used.On the other hand, the XR6T is a brand new car, equipped with a 3 year warranty, good towing capability and effortless cruising. So don't beat up on yourselves too much, because even a standard XR6T is a relatively fast car and capable of towing a boat and caravan and returning good fuel economy. Do you think a Datsun 1200 ute with a 20B triple rotor would have the same economy/warranty/driveability attributes? I think not!!
gassit Grow old not up! Legacy Donating Member 227 Member For: 22y 5m 26d Location: Behind the wheel. Posted 23/12/04 12:14 AM Posted 23/12/04 12:14 AM There was a kombie around the Dandenong area with a leyland P76 Alloy V8 in it and it went like a cut cat.Weekend only drive he had a company car for during the week.Steve
Guest TRACK Guests Posted 23/12/04 01:13 AM Posted 23/12/04 01:13 AM Hey Track,Anything to do with the issues you note in your footerMultiple Engine Power Issues! A $56k, 1700kg boat anchor!<{POST_SNAPBACK}>God666,The car has many issues, but they are intermitant. Answer is No it was going alright on the night. I just got beat, simple as that! I never caught him again to ask what he had done. We were in an 80 zone. I stopped just after changing into 3rd, but he kept going. Sorry but that's quick enough for me under those conditions.
Lawsy Wanabe mechanical engineer Legacy Donating Member 960 Member For: 22y 22d Gender: Male Location: At the computer, obviously..... Posted 23/12/04 02:02 AM Posted 23/12/04 02:02 AM Ahh yes, the old "drag my shed-heap" trick.You can be sure that no matter what you do, there will always be someone who has spent more time/money on their vehicle to make it go.A few of you would have seen the fully kitted plumbers van at Heathcote have a run - complete with loaded up roof racks- ran a mid 11 from memory- had a 350 Chev heart How many of you would take him seriously at the lights He lives in syd, saw his second time out at wsid, the thing does 3 foot wheel stands!!!!!Not to mention burnouts that would smoke most burnout cars...Only thing stopping it from going into th 10's is the drag, at about half track the drag kicks in and hurts his top end.
ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 26d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 23/12/04 02:06 AM Posted 23/12/04 02:06 AM When I was a mechanic we used to do alot of porsches and VW's. We had a young guy with a 1978 turbo 911 who while drunk one night smacked into a telephone pole front on. As he was drunk the insurance did not pay for it. He was given his brothers kombi van to drive, well he still had the 911T wreck and asked us to do a transplant. We then fitted the 911T motor into the back of this 1960's kombi. The transplant was quite easy and all went to plan. When I test drove it however the car under full throttle would lift the front wheels of the ground and made for some hair raising driving. We did fit the porsche brakes as well. I wonder if it is the same one
Jaymz Member 190 Member For: 22y 10m 1d Location: Noosa Posted 23/12/04 02:33 AM Posted 23/12/04 02:33 AM Trackthere are some quick Kombis getting around with WRX motors in them, being a boxster type engine they fit quite neatly in the rear end without major modifications.
JB Forum Superhero Legacy Donating Member 3,109 Member For: 22y 10m 13d Location: Eastern Suburbs of Mexico Posted 23/12/04 04:23 AM Posted 23/12/04 04:23 AM When I was a mechanic we used to do alot of porsches and VW's. We had a young guy with a 1978 turbo 911 who while drunk one night smacked into a telephone pole front on. As he was drunk the insurance did not pay for it. He was given his brothers kombi van to drive, well he still had the 911T wreck and asked us to do a transplant. We then fitted the 911T motor into the back of this 1960's kombi. The transplant was quite easy and all went to plan. When I test drove it however the car under full throttle would lift the front wheels of the ground and made for some hair raising driving. We did fit the porsche brakes as well. I wonder if it is the same one That's just plain scary Zap! Wonder how the chasis held up?
trbo 6 Member 230 Member For: 22y 7m 8d Gender: Male Posted 23/12/04 05:39 AM Posted 23/12/04 05:39 AM I got beat by a VP Dunnydore wagon with a similar paint job as the kombi. Found out he had a turbo V6 in it. My lack of traction didn't help but no excuses aye!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now