dattoman Member 67 Member For: 23y 3m 23d Location: Perth Western Australia Posted 05/11/04 10:55 AM Posted 05/11/04 10:55 AM Clutch fluid is the same as brake fluid.It requires regular flush and bleed just like your brakes do. In fact.....you use your clutch on average at least 5 times more than the brakes. So it should be flushed approx every 6 mths or so.Discolouration is normal as moisture content increases and seals and bores wear.
ms700 Moderating Team 10,170 Member For: 23y 8m 5d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 05/11/04 10:59 AM Posted 05/11/04 10:59 AM Pfffft...In times of need, real men change gears without the clutch in XC's........<{POST_SNAPBACK}>And l'm sure you've done it plenty of times :lol:<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Indeed I have!Ive demolished around 4 pressure plates, and completely melted the clutch pipe on the dyno one day!All good fun!
Lawsy Wanabe mechanical engineer Legacy Donating Member 960 Member For: 22y 19d Gender: Male Location: At the computer, obviously..... Posted 05/11/04 12:11 PM Posted 05/11/04 12:11 PM My brother in his XE used to swap cogs without the clutch. He used to get it perfect almost every time and it never crunched (ok, maybe 1 in 50 would crunch, vary rare).He is just really good at 'guestemating' the right rpm for each change (in either direction) from anywhere in the rev range. Wasn't the fastest way to change gears but if you're too lazy to use a clutch, well......When he was pushing it obviously he would use the clutch, no way you would clutchless change gears with full force, that would be stupid!
God666 Complete Bastard Legacy Donating Member 1,123 Member For: 22y 10m 2d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 05/11/04 12:19 PM Posted 05/11/04 12:19 PM I don't accept that it is getting affected by heat any worse than the brake next to it. Mind you, having said that, I haven't had a good look at the pipes to see whether they go straight past a the exhaust any closer than the brake lines do. My suspicion is that there is a metal or synthetic component somewhere in the system that is reacting with the fluid. This problem has been widely reported and I would suggest there would not be a manual out there more than a couple of months old that doesn't have discoloured fluid. Mine went within the first month.
XR6_ED Legacy Donating Member 1,517 Member For: 23y 6m 22d Posted 05/11/04 12:26 PM Posted 05/11/04 12:26 PM When I flushed mine, the fluid had metal specks in it. The only place it could have come from is the aluminium piston in the master cylinder .
RAPHOON Legacy Donating Member 1,776 Member For: 23y 3m 9d Posted 05/11/04 01:22 PM Posted 05/11/04 01:22 PM I've had two gearbox repairs and two gearbox changes. Each time the fluid was replaced, only to discolour egain within a week or 2.
YOOT Member 1,201 Member For: 23y 3m 17d Location: Birkdale Posted 05/11/04 09:59 PM Posted 05/11/04 09:59 PM Mine is the same, its brown and fugly. I will mention it next time at the dealers and the can flush it. My bet is that it will go fugly again.
eMPee Member 247 Member For: 22y 6m 28d Location: Sydney Posted 06/11/04 12:41 AM Author Posted 06/11/04 12:41 AM Cheers guys, thanks for the replys. It doesn't sound like its anything to get worried about but I'll tell the dealer to flush and replace it before I finalise the purchase hopefully in the next couple of days Can't wait, Ive been dreaming of a BA for 3 years Then I can start reading the modification forum section :rain:
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now