lachlanj Member 57 Member For: 23y 2m 24d Location: Ballarat Posted 27/10/04 01:27 AM Posted 27/10/04 01:27 AM My current car as well as my previous car (02 ba xr6 ute) has a noise comming from the altinator. It is like a loud electircal whine. It is far more noticable when the headlights are on and gets louder the faster you go. People have commented that they can hear it out of the car as I drive past them on the other side of the road. Ford has advised me that although it is quite loud.... it is quite acceptable. I remember reading here a while back that you could fit something to the altinator to stop this but I was unable to find it when I did a search.Any help would be much appreciated
ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 14d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 27/10/04 01:35 AM Posted 27/10/04 01:35 AM Lachlan,There are 2 types of noise that you may be hearing.Electrical noise through the audio system or mechanical noise.The Audio noise is common in the BA range and is usually cause by poor quality wiring. Apparently running better earthing cables from the engine to the chassis and also from the battery to the chassis can reduce it. Mechanical noise from the alternator is mostly caused by bad bearings and will get worse. My car is making a whine from under the bonnet, but I think my power steering pump is having issues.The best way to check is:Start the car and while idling, put a long screwdrive on the alternator casing (careful not to hit the belts) and put your ear against the handle. You will be able to hear the noise better and also isolate it. You may find its the powersteering pump as they seem to be the most common problem with under bonnet noise.Either way Ford should replace it under warranty as there is a chance the unit will seize and cause more problems.
Benny Member 1,869 Member For: 23y 1m 22d Gender: Male Location: Newcastle Posted 27/10/04 02:33 AM Posted 27/10/04 02:33 AM I can see the headlines now. Man was admited to hospital today with a large screwdriver lodged in his skull. The incident occured while the man was trying to listen to a noisey alternator bearing and got the tool caught in the engines belt system.
cqae Member 229 Member For: 22y 10m 22d Posted 27/10/04 02:53 AM Posted 27/10/04 02:53 AM you can also get what we call 'charging noise' this is a noise created when the alternator charges. It is caused as a result of charging & tends to get louder the more the alternator is charging, so if lights & a big stereo are on noise is louder. However, when a rectifier diode fails or is failing a slight diode knowck can be present & can create a similar sound, as can internal alternator fan blades or minor imbalances in the rotor assembly, but these do not tend to amplify when charging harder. Earth cables have no affect on this & neither will bearings, so be careful when replacing bits for this reason. Chargin noises are fairly normal, just depends on how loud they are, overly loud can indicate a fault, I dont find my BA all that loud although I can definately hear it still.
lachlanj Member 57 Member For: 23y 2m 24d Location: Ballarat Posted 27/10/04 03:04 AM Author Posted 27/10/04 03:04 AM I too thought it was the power stearing pump for a while but it has been confirmed that it is the altinator. I can have the sterio off and it if still there, just as loud. The boys at ford had a look and said that they couldnt find where in the altinator it was comming from but nobody denied that it is there or that it is bloody loud. They compared it to another vehicle and while mine was a little louder, there was no need for concern.
AWW XR6T UTE Member 129 Member For: 23y 4m 21d Location: Brisbane Posted 27/10/04 03:13 AM Posted 27/10/04 03:13 AM Unless you are driving the car every day!
GOLDIE My new toy Legacy Donating Member 5,344 Member For: 23y 5m 5d Gender: Male Location: stanthorpe wine capital of qld. Posted 27/10/04 05:40 AM Posted 27/10/04 05:40 AM I fixed the whine in the stereo that was caused by the altenator by fitting a noise suppressor to the altenator like they used to use a few years back but have stopped doing it now.I have no noise in my stereo it was worse after I fitted all the amps etc but the suppressor fixed it all.Ian
lachlanj Member 57 Member For: 23y 2m 24d Location: Ballarat Posted 28/10/04 01:27 AM Author Posted 28/10/04 01:27 AM Went in and had a few other problems fixed yesterday afternoon and asked about the altinator again, they said they doubt anything would be done about it. When I picked the car up, I was told that they had another look at it and had a fiddle and now it is much quieter. I don't know what they did but it is nowhere near as bad as it was before. I can live with it now. I will keep the noise supressor in mind as I am planning to beef up the speakers and amps in the near future.Thanks for your imput guys.
jetute Legacy Donating Member 4,553 Member For: 22y 7m 26d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 28/10/04 06:38 AM Posted 28/10/04 06:38 AM could also be engine whine/howl caused by pulley tensioners.... It increases as the RPM increases. The noise will emanate from the front end accesory drive (FEAD). The noise is caused by heat sinks located around the circumference of the pulley wheel..... This is from the ford TSB.I have the same noise and will get them to check it out.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now