QikSmurf Member 246 Member For: 23y 2m 24d Posted 29/09/04 10:35 AM Posted 29/09/04 10:35 AM I was invited to a skid pan day next saturday at Mt Cotton. My only concern is that the event was arranged by a mate in the Qld WRX club.Most of these guys have done it dozens of times before and will probably showe me up. The funny thing is that they all seemed VERY eager to get me along. I know most of them and I would classify them as motoring enthusiasts, not pimply kids with stickers all over their cars.There seems to be a genuine interest amoung the group to see how well the XR6t will perform. I explained that it was my first time and all of the experienced guys seem willing to offer advise and generally help out.It still seems a bit like a lamb to the slaughter, but I will try to do us proud.Has anyone who has done the Mt Cotton track before got any tips on what to do?Any advise will be much appreciated.By the way, it should be awesome to see 9 STI's & WRX's at WOT with 4 wheel drift!
ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 23d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 29/09/04 12:04 PM Posted 29/09/04 12:04 PM I have not done Mt Cotton, but I have done plenty of Drifting and skidpans. My advise is the T will go Very well, much better than a understeering WRX. I hope they are doing a wet track session or you will kill your tyres in about 10 laps. Doing skidpans will let you explore your T's limits in a safe environmnet and also have heaps of fun. Make sure you go in a few of the experienced guys cars before you go out yourself, also take an instructor/experienced passanger for your first few runs as they will be a great help My last skidpan was at eastern creek and I went through 4 wheels of 60% rubber with a 3hour wet session and a 1.5 hour dry session (ran out of rubber, down to 4x steel belts :lol: ).Best fun you can have with your pants on
crisso . Legacy Donating Member 1,199 Member For: 22y 10m 22d Location: Sydney Posted 29/09/04 12:18 PM Posted 29/09/04 12:18 PM Oran Park has a decent skidpan, anyone know if you can book it for a club or similar event???
ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 23d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 29/09/04 12:37 PM Posted 29/09/04 12:37 PM You need to be a CAMS club to book the skidpan unless you get Ian Luff or another driver training place to arrange it. Eastern Creek is a better skidpan and you can get people like Moto Concepts or Initial Drift to arrange a day. Cost is about $90-150 per car, additional drivers are about $50 each. Tyres are the biggest cost.
budakajana Member 19 Member For: 22y 9d Location: Australia Posted 29/09/04 01:08 PM Posted 29/09/04 01:08 PM Where do I find out about taking my car along to such an event? I live in Brisbane.
rusht Member 198 Member For: 22y 3m 6d Posted 30/09/04 02:12 AM Posted 30/09/04 02:12 AM My advise is the T will go Very well, much better than a understeering WRX.I agree on the WRX understeer, but isn't a wet skid pan where AWD starts to show it's benefits even in a standard rex with about 110kw at the wheels and a torque black hole below 2500 rpm? The wet skid pan allows them to keep the revs up and the front diff pulls them out of corners rather than RWD pushing straight ahead - STi's more so because the front diff is an LSD.baaaaaaaa
Guest Lukkyphil Guests Posted 30/09/04 04:02 AM Posted 30/09/04 04:02 AM My advise is the T will go Very well, much better than a understeering WRX.I agree on the WRX understeer, but isn't a wet skid pan where AWD starts to show it's benefits even in a standard rex with about 110kw at the wheels and a torque black hole below 2500 rpm? The wet skid pan allows them to keep the revs up and the front diff pulls them out of corners rather than RWD pushing straight ahead - STi's more so because the front diff is an LSD.baaaaaaaa Whilst I concede that WRX's are inately underseering animals, there would not be too many out there owned by enthusiasts without at least, Stiffer swaybars, camber kits and anti-lift kits, let alone coilovers. Oh and WRX's are boring as bat-sh*t to watch, particularly one driven by a decent pedaller - smooth and fast. The best show I have seen on a skidpan is a guy over here with an XB GT coupe, he sets times 40 sec slower, but puts on a masterful performance from start to finish.
ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 23d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 30/09/04 04:47 AM Posted 30/09/04 04:47 AM With my comments about WRX's I did not want to infer that they would be slow around a wet skidpan, just not as much fun as a RWD. Having owned many Turbo AWD's I found them dull when being pushed around a wet track as it was hard to get the tail out and steer with the rear The best run I saw at a skidpan was a 900hp GTR running in RWD. On a dry figure 8 he did 4 laps, sent 2 new tyres heaven, linked all the corners and caused the fire truck to turn up because all of the smoke from his tyres :lol: Was a sight to be seen.
rusht Member 198 Member For: 22y 3m 6d Posted 30/09/04 09:15 AM Posted 30/09/04 09:15 AM I did not want to infer that they would be slow around a wet skidpan, just not as much fun as a RWD. Having owned many Turbo AWD's I found them dull when being pushed around a wet track as it was hard to get the tail out and steer with the rear
QikSmurf Member 246 Member For: 23y 2m 24d Posted 01/10/04 08:58 PM Author Posted 01/10/04 08:58 PM I didn't realise the tyre wear issue I have just had new Falkens ($300 a corner) fitted. This whole thing could be an expensive exercise
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now