Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 7m 9d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

Not to sure if if this has been discussed as I have been away for a while, but I have a friend that rebuilds tourque converters. He has recently gone to a seminar showing details of the new 6 speed auto's that are to be used in both the falcon and the commodore.

This is only info that has been passed on to me so don't shoot the messenger.

If you know otherwise please correct me.

  • I see red
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 24d
  • Location: nowhere in particular
Posted

The VZ Commodores have a 5 speed auto, there hasn't been any mention of a trans upgrade for BA Mk2 though it's still to be confirmed what auto box the Typhoon will get. Very unlikely to get 6 speed I think. Maybe a 6 speed auto earmarked for next model of Falcon and/or Commodore. It would seem unlikely that outsiders to Ford and Expensive Daewoo are would be told any info about future transmissions at a seminar.

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 11m 12d
Posted

Ford US is going to start mass producing the ZF six speed auto in the USA in mid/late 2005. It seems that Australian Falcons will move to this gearbox with some sort of wind down on the BTR/Ion 4 speed.

The ZF has the torque rating the Aussie engines require, suitable ratios, avalible in AWD, and is no longer really special anymore (there are now lots of 5/6 speed autos, and there will be heaps more by late 2005, 7 speed gearboxes are already here). They also are apparently lighter than the previous 4 speed.

I belive GM is working on its own 6 speed as well as well as a suitable transmission for the V8.

The fact that Ford couldn't source any ZF's until late 2005 is disapointing. The Typhoon will be manual only until then, which will hurt sales. I also guess this negates any development for the V8 as they too would produce too much torque for the auto to handle. Also Ford has nothing to combat the 5 speed autos that other local manufacturers are using at the moment.

While nothing has been mentioned offically. The ZF gearbox seems like the obvious choice for Ford Australia atleast on certain models. Ford going to make something like half a million of them a year in the usa, so even if they don't end up in the falcon, they will most likely be used in things like F-trucks, Crown Vics(if they aren't retired by then), etc.

But we won't see any changes until this time next year.

  • Award Winning Photo guy
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 9m 5d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Burleigh Waters
Posted

my oldies have a six speed auto in their bmw x5 and it's da shiztnit...

I've also driven a porsche with a 6 speed auto... and theres no need for manuals in the high speed auto boxes.. I mean apart from the no clutch thing they change gears so blippin fast..

I heard there was a rumour that a 5 speed auto was on paper for the MKII but that obviously went south.. nevermind... I'm happy with the four on the floor.. :)

  • FORD FORD FORD
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 6m 24d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Victoria Point In Brissy's eastern side
Posted

At my request friend of a friend I know is making noises about importing 6 speed Jag boxes from Japan. Cost, not sure yet.

Scotty

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 10m 15d
  • Location: Need one..
Posted
At my request friend of a friend I know is making noises about importing 6 speed Jag boxes from Japan. Cost, not sure yet.

Scotty

Interesting Scotty...keep me posted on this please.

  • FORD FORD FORD
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 6m 24d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Victoria Point In Brissy's eastern side
Posted
Interesting Scotty...keep me posted on this please.

Hi Dave, Roger that Dave.

Scotty

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 10m 15d
  • Location: Need one..
Posted
Interesting Scotty...keep me posted on this please.

Hi Dave, Roger that Dave.

Scotty

:blush: Lol, thanks Scotty.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...