dankman Member 270 Member For: 23y 2m 16d Location: zadank village Canberra Posted 05/07/04 04:27 AM Posted 05/07/04 04:27 AM My turbo is the best car I have ever driven. It's always been reliable and still is.Whats got me stuffed though is that since it's last service (30k service) about a month ago, nearly another 4500k's on the clock as well, it's been doing something that I thought was impossible for a manual car to do.Since the service the idle seems to hunt. Moves over 200 revs in only a second then back up again. Listening to the exhaust it comfirms the hunting idle.Whilst driving it does exactly the same thing. Not too sure about the exhause because it's hard to hear cruising, but with either my foot rock solid in the one place, or with cruise on, the tacho hunts up and down all the time. My speed doesn't change though.I've also noticed that the idle is a little higher pulling out of work the last 2 weeks as well. Basically the car trys to pull away when sitting in 1st gear while I'm putting on my seat belt.I have had the vacume hose blow off once about 3 weeks after I bought my beloved beastie, could this be related?Does anyone have any idea at all what this could be? It's really got me stuffed. Worse still is I cant get to Biti motors for at least another week due to work commitments.
ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 24d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 05/07/04 04:43 AM Posted 05/07/04 04:43 AM Dank,I have been getting a similar thing since my last service.If I am accelarating and change gear the car revs up 200+rpm and then starts dropping, yet if I free rev the car it is normal. I did some testing and found that only while changing gears under power does the rpm increase after the foot is off the throttle when the clutch is engaged, yet if I am backing off and change gear it looks normal.I think that Ford have a special driveline clunk option in the new PCM as this has only just started revving when my foot is off the throttle, unless it is a special option with the police option I run for my speedo.I have noticed the changes under WOT clunk less as the car still has RPM when I change gear.....very weird
turbotom Team Bute Legacy Donating Member 1,550 Member For: 23y 2m 23d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 05/07/04 08:39 AM Posted 05/07/04 08:39 AM Sounds to me to be associated with the "drive by wire" throttle system on your car....Is it like the effect you have with a sticky throttle cable on a carbied car?There may be some residual hysteresis with the potentiometer on the throttle sensor- loose mounts? or mechanical friction loading on the actuator???Wouldn't like it at all.... Doesn't give the feedback which builds confidence.Get it checked out by the dealer.I'm a fan of technology but I like the mechanical certainty of cables( with strong return springs)The "drive by wire" throttle is great when it works properly.I've heard the latest techno whiz bang device the automotive industry is working on is "drive by wire" brakes. hmmmmm????Imagine getting fluctuating brake pressure, as you are coming down a hill with a trailer hitched on behind....
xr6 typhoon Good for nothing member Legacy Donating Member 619 Member For: 22y 3m 13d Location: Sydney Posted 05/07/04 08:53 AM Posted 05/07/04 08:53 AM I Don't know if this is the exact same problem but I could be crusing along in say 3rd or 4th then get on the gas a bit and the tacho starts heading towards high end but the car aint goin anywhere it stays at the same speed. It has only happened twice but it feels like the clutch is slipping when it happens
turb06 Dark Knight Mafia Member No. - 666 Member 3,667 Member For: 23y 7m 12d Location: Toowoomba Posted 05/07/04 09:10 AM Posted 05/07/04 09:10 AM I Don't know if this is the exact same problem but I could be crusing along in say 3rd or 4th then get on the gas a bit and the tacho starts heading towards high end but the car aint goin anywhere it stays at the same speed. It has only happened twice but it feels like the clutch is slipping when it happens The clutch probably is slipping then.
turbotom Team Bute Legacy Donating Member 1,550 Member For: 23y 2m 23d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 05/07/04 09:12 AM Posted 05/07/04 09:12 AM I Don't know if this is the exact same problem but I could be crusing along in say 3rd or 4th then get on the gas a bit and the tacho starts heading towards high end but the car aint goin anywhere it stays at the same speed. It has only happened twice but it feels like the clutch is slipping when it happens Its normal for autos with the standard 1800~2000 rpm stall converter.If its slipping like that in a manual.... hmmm are you riding your clutch?otherwise, I'd be saying...... " Houston, we have a problem!"by the way,welcome with your first post!
xr6 typhoon Good for nothing member Legacy Donating Member 619 Member For: 22y 3m 13d Location: Sydney Posted 05/07/04 09:35 AM Posted 05/07/04 09:35 AM If its slipping like that in a manual.... hmmm are you riding your clutch?otherwise, I'd be saying...... " Houston, we have a problem!"by the way,welcome with your first post!The clutch dont get a chance to get ridin the car is only 9000k's old and only gets driven on weekends majority of the time cause I'm cruisin in my truck all week.that's right I'm also a VOLVO driver!!!
turb06 Dark Knight Mafia Member No. - 666 Member 3,667 Member For: 23y 7m 12d Location: Toowoomba Posted 05/07/04 11:45 AM Posted 05/07/04 11:45 AM If its slipping like that in a manual.... hmmm are you riding your clutch?otherwise, I'd be saying...... " Houston, we have a problem!"by the way,welcome with your first post!The clutch dont get a chance to get ridin the car is only 9000k's old and only gets driven on weekends majority of the time cause I'm cruisin in my truck all week.that's right I'm also a VOLVO driver!!! have you been riding the clutch for the 9000k's its done?Sounds like you should definatley take it back to the dealer and get it checked out. I have never driven a manual car that does that.
God666 Complete Bastard Legacy Donating Member 1,123 Member For: 22y 10m 4d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 05/07/04 11:44 PM Posted 05/07/04 11:44 PM ZapXR6TIf I am accelarating and change gear the car revs up 200+rpm and then starts dropping, yet if I free rev the car it is normal. I did some testing and found that only while changing gears under power does the rpm increase after the foot is off the throttle when the clutch is engaged, yet if I am backing off and change gear it looks normal. I have noticed that past month or so that when I change up a gear, the revs will increase as I push in the clutch as if I still had my foot on the throttle. I thought it was just me driving like a woman but I have made a conscious effort to ensure a smooth lift off throttle etc. Now you have got me thinking it is the car doing it. The rev increase lasts less than 1/3 of a second but it is noticeable.
rs2000 Member 259 Member For: 23y 4m 24d Location: riddells creek Posted 06/07/04 01:21 AM Posted 06/07/04 01:21 AM .The "drive by wire" throttle is great when it works properly.I've heard the latest techno whiz bang device the automotive industry is working on is "drive by wire" brakes. hmmmmm???? you'll find that drive by wire brakes have been in production for a while. mercedes benz are using it
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now