Jump to content

Drivetrain (diff/gbox) Noise, Who has it or what do you think of this problem ?  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

  • No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 7m 22d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

People thank you for voting.

We need to get an idea on who has what problem

  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Poison Fish. Poison Fish. TASTY FISH!!!
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 6m 21d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: The Bogan Shire
Posted

The poll to end all polls!

Don't have a BA XR but from what I've read on some peoples car's Ford have tried 3 or more times to fix them! NOT GOOD ENOUGH, do it once, do it right!

Good luck All!

Lumpy

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 25d
Posted

Umm. I'm not sure you have enough options....

This problem nearly drove me around the friggen wall with my AU1 XR6. The two main reasons I sold it were because of the diff clunk (Ford replaced diff oil a couple of times and half shafts) and the bloody handbrake going shh-shh-shh (took it back to Ford 7 times for handbrake and Midas 5 times - never resolved).

So I buy a BA thinking they would have resolved these problems and guess what? Clunk-shh-shh-clunk-shh-shh-clunk-shh-shh-clunk.

Luckily it isn't as noticable in this car compared to my old one. I am used to Ford's $hit quality so I just live with it. No point taking to a dealer as they will just find a way to make it worse and then lie to me.

  • Brendan Dennis
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 21d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne, Vic
Posted

Ok for info sake here we go.

Foot note: Had AUII XR6VCT AUTO with IRS and had a number of diffs due to LSD not working after each approx 30,000K and diff clunk within 5,000km from new. Was happy with fixes in the 2 years / 100,000Km I had it. Not a bad car but BA is MUCH better :msm:

Now onto the BA...

Car purchased March 03 - Auto

Went aronud Australia in Oct to Dec 03 - Towing a caravan (Very HOT temps)

On trip, on occations had a high pitch noise from diff but came and went.

Returned to Melb in January Diff developed bad LSD banging on hard lock, wine started at 95K and also drive line shunt when stoping at lights as auto shifted into 1st. (now done 40,000Km)

Advised dealer, Had diff / gearbox people come and have a drive / listen. Advised to repalce diff.

Waited ~6 weeks for new diff. Replaced diff. Clunks fixed but received tail shaft vibration and "limited" wine but other problems fixed.

Waited 8 weeks for tail shaft balance tool. Tail shaft balanced (much better)

95K wine still there but is not bad / livable.

On some occations get drive link clunk when auto drops into 1st at lights. Not concerned / anoyed about this at present. Car now done 53,500km.

Apart from the time taken to get tail shaft balance tool :ermm: , I am reasonably happy with the service I have received. :msm:

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 8m
  • Location: Bulleen, Vic
Posted

Bought my Sept 03 build T second-hand in Feb this year. Previous owner told me he had the diff changed because of a whine in January. When I bought the car it has 15000k on it. Now has 25000 and the whine between 80 and 110 is VERY loud. Will tell the dealer at 30000 service. I've been holding off because from reading other threads it seems there may be a way (soon) to get a diff that won't whine. Here's hoping!

  • Team - Anti Rice Blueprint Member # 1
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 1m 9d
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

My T has 36,000km Feb 03 build auto.

To be perfectly honest: I have had not had any driveline clunks, backlash, whine etc etc. The driveline has not been touched since new.

* touch wood, touch wood, touch wood *

I sincerely wish all those members who are grappling with this problem a fix from Ford on this. I would also urge anyone who has had resolution for any of these problems to bring forward any info that they may have.

  • What's happening?
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 10m 2d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Steel City, NSW
Posted

How about "Didnt have the time to read all of the options, so just ticked one at random" :spoton:

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 6m 3d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: sydney
Posted
My T has 36,000km Feb 03 build auto.

To be perfectly honest: I have had not had any driveline clunks, backlash, whine etc etc. The driveline has not been touched since new.

* touch wood, touch wood, touch wood *

I sincerely wish all those members who are grappling with this problem a fix from Ford on this. I would also urge anyone who has had resolution for any of these problems to bring forward any info that they may have.

Ditto........ :spoton: 28000k's and alls well

  • I'm Back!! Thats right, long over due! :)
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 2d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: West Brisbane
Posted

Auto: No problems > 5000kms

currently 26,800kms approx.

No problems here......Well no REAL problem yet.

More my fault..... Had one really bad clunk, forgot to flip over to Performance and flawed it, kicked back gears almost to the point of the rev limiter and "KER-KLUNK".............. whiplash!

Only happened once, haven't had it re-occur and at high revs or using gears to slow down. so fingers crossed.

  • The Best Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 8m 27d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Adelaide
Posted

I voted "Manual - the dealer has fixed it, I'm happy (details please)"

My first diff was ok, had a very slight whine which I very rarely noticed. (I only noticed it when someone pointed it out to me!) This diff broke after just over 30,000 km and was replaced under warranty.

The second diff was quite noisy, so I took it back to the dealer. It was like a whirring sound rather than a whine. They replaced that under warranty, no fuss.

This diff seems good so far. Haven't noticed any unusual sounds. Only had it for about 3 or 4 weeks so far, but it's looking promising. :spoton:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...